Power Steering problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 11:11 AM

Car Info: 2001 Acura TL - 2016.5 Mazda CX-5
Originally Posted by hYpE-R-29
I had my rack replaced about 2 months ago...From what I hear its a PITA. You have to remove the subframe, then alignment.
How much was it total for the job?
I think i either need my steering rack or the power steering pump replaced.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:08 PM

Car Info: MY00 GC6 BRP
Originally Posted by Snoopy408
How much was it total for the job?
I think i either need my steering rack or the power steering pump replaced.
I believe your problem retains to the pump itself. That is the cheaper fix out of the two anyways. With less hassle.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:45 PM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
Check them both. I replaced the rack about 6 mo. ago and now the pump is starting to go. The pump is definitely easier to do and is less expensive, but still not exactly cheap. My GF has 220K on it now too though.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:51 PM

Car Info: 2011 WRX hatch gray
I have a steering rack leak but no where near as bad as the OP's... but I also have the one-hit "clunk". I'm pretty sure the clunk is from my front sway bar endlink (bushing type), as tightening/loosening has a direct effect on the frequency and severity of the clunk. So in my case, the clunk is unrelated.

As for the boot... it appears to have a slight leak as the boot always looks "wet". Unlike a CV joint, this boot is just to keep dust out, not hold grease in. so if there is a leak it's a leak at the seals in the rack.

I'm looking into option now, and I'll post what I find. But essentially theirs OEM (unless you're doing track/autox this is probably the best route), STI (slightly quicker ratio), and the q-rack (the true enthusiast who needs faster steering).

All changes to the rack will require alignment because they have to disconnect the tie rods.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:18 PM

Car Info: Subaru 2005 WRX
i just replaced the whole system a couple of weeks ago, PS Pump, PS hoses & PS Rack cost me a couple of G's
Old 02-12-2013, 05:32 PM

Car Info: 2011 WRX hatch gray
Originally Posted by chimchimm5
I have a steering rack leak but no where near as bad as the OP's... but I also have the one-hit "clunk". I'm pretty sure the clunk is from my front sway bar endlink (bushing type), as tightening/loosening has a direct effect on the frequency and severity of the clunk. So in my case, the clunk is unrelated.

As for the boot... it appears to have a slight leak as the boot always looks "wet". Unlike a CV joint, this boot is just to keep dust out, not hold grease in. so if there is a leak it's a leak at the seals in the rack.

I'm looking into option now, and I'll post what I find. But essentially theirs OEM (unless you're doing track/autox this is probably the best route), STI (slightly quicker ratio), and the q-rack (the true enthusiast who needs faster steering).

All changes to the rack will require alignment because they have to disconnect the tie rods.
Ok... summary:

- The 06+ WRX has a steering ratio closer to that of the STI. About 16.5:1 ratio. OP probably wants this
- The 04 STI rack is totally drop in compatible
- The 05-07 STI rack is also drop in compatible, although the parts will probably say they won't fit. The story is that this STI rack has 6 mounting holes. 4 of these are identical to the WRX ones (WRX only has 4), and the 2 additional provide additional rigidity and mount to the STI specific subframe. You can use just the 4 WRX mounts and use this rack. The benefit is the faster ratio. Ratio is like 15.0:1/
- The Q-rack provides a ratio of either 12:1 or 10:1... really fast. They say it's still daily drivable. I don't doubt the owner can get used to it but hand the keys to the girlfriend/dad/mom/friend and they'll probably steer themselves into a guard rail. Otherwise excellent for a person who is using their car for events.