Power Steering problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 03:25 PM

Car Info: Rice Rocket
Power Steering problems

Hello all

I need some help and advice. I changed my oil religiously and noticed my dirver side power steering boot had alot of oil comming out of the side of the boot. Every once in a while I would hear a knock and thought it was my suspension adjusting.

Here is a picture of the driver side power steering rod and boot.
Name:  41dbbe96-6a59-423f-a4ba-9a9f41dc31e8_zps03937a42.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  76.4 KB

I did some research and it looks like its one unit. My question is does the Power steering rack need to get replaced , driver side only shaft, or just the boot?
Old 02-11-2013, 03:32 PM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
You can call around and see if there are any places that will do just the boot, but the bad news is, you usually swap the whole unit. Had to do the one on my GF last year.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by 04GG
You can call around and see if there are any places that will do just the boot, but the bad news is, you usually swap the whole unit. Had to do the one on my GF last year.
Ya I kinda knew once I found out the power steering is one whole unit it needed to be repalced I just wanted to ask people with experience to see if there was another alternative.

04GG was it hard to replace the power steering rack? Did you need any special tools and how log did it take you. Ill keep this open for a few more days before I start shopping around for a new power steering rack and maybe a shop to replace it. Ive been getting lazy lateley =)
Old 02-11-2013, 03:43 PM

Car Info: 2002 Impreza RS, 2005 Impreza RS-20K
Originally Posted by Hermanbaggins
Ya I kinda knew once I found out the power steering is one whole unit it needed to be repalced I just wanted to ask people with experience to see if there was another alternative.

04GG was it hard to replace the power steering rack? Did you need any special tools and how log did it take you. Ill keep this open for a few more days before I start shopping around for a new power steering rack and maybe a shop to replace it. Ive been getting lazy lateley =)
PITA location really
Old 02-11-2013, 03:45 PM

Car Info: 00 BRP 2.5RS Sold = 04 SRR WRX Wagon, 06 AW STI :(
The boots are sold separate, but its the inner seal thats leaking. When I had my STI I found that the dealer sells a reseal kit but for the time and potential mis-installation you might as well just replace it.

Its pretty easy though, just try and get the wheels all straight. Likely you will be need to take it in for an alignment after.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:47 PM

Car Info: MY00 GC6 BRP
You need to find out where it is leaking on the steering rack itself. The boots are just dust boots. If it is a major leak on the power steering rack ( and not just loose fittings and flanges) then you should ideally have the whole rack replaced.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:51 PM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
Originally Posted by IHeartE30s
The boots are sold separate, but its the inner seal thats leaking. When I had my STI I found that the dealer sells a reseal kit but for the time and potential mis-installation you might as well just replace it.

Its pretty easy though, just try and get the wheels all straight. Likely you will be need to take it in for an alignment after.
Unfortunately, this is why you usually replace the whole thing - for just a little more labor than the boot, you could just do the whole thing because if one side is leaking, the other likely will soon too.

I had mine in the shop and had them replace the rack once he showed me the leak (looked identical to that) while they already had the car apart. He actually called me out and I got to go under the lift and see it myself because I know him. Yes, definitely have to have it aligned after you do this.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:59 PM

When I turn right I would hear one knock and thought it was my suspension or CV joint going bad. One knock only. And after today I know its the steering rack. Ill just go ahead and order the part and have a shop replace it. Thank you all for the response.

One more thing is there a upgraded version of the 06 sti power steering rack in the market or just OEM

Last edited by Hermanbaggins; 02-11-2013 at 04:07 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:39 PM

Car Info: 07 STI Built/Widebody/E85/Rotated GTX3576 13 Fozz
Originally Posted by Hermanbaggins
When I turn right I would hear one knock and thought it was my suspension or CV joint going bad. One knock only. And after today I know its the steering rack. Ill just go ahead and order the part and have a shop replace it. Thank you all for the response.

One more thing is there a upgraded version of the 06 sti power steering rack in the market or just OEM
There is an "upgraded" version if you want it:

Q-Rack - Quick Steering Rack for 1998 and up Imprezas

But if you don't race or autox your car at all I would just buy OEM stuff.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:50 PM

I had my rack replaced about 2 months ago...From what I hear its a PITA. You have to remove the subframe, then alignment.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by apetron
There is an "upgraded" version if you want it:

Q-Rack - Quick Steering Rack for 1998 and up Imprezas

But if you don't race or autox your car at all I would just buy OEM stuff.
holy **** I was thinking around $600 range but thats way out there lol. I do plan on auto x next year but cant swallow $2300 just for the power steering rack.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:15 PM

You don't need the Q-Rack, OEM is perfectly fine. You had just asked if there were any upgrades available so I posted it.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:26 PM

Car Info: Miata and dirtbikes
ughh i want that q rack soooo bad
Old 02-11-2013, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by bkblitzed
ughh i want that q rack soooo bad
Yes. Eventually I'll do it.

Had to rebuild the motor in the STI again so that ate up most of my fun money for a bit.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:38 PM

Car Info: WRB Wagon
Christ that has me worrying now.. Would you say its a hard clunk noise? on Turns/bumps?

I usually hear something in that general area area but I've always assumed it was my swaw/links or something suspension related gonna check that **** asap

Quick Reply: Power Steering problems