Power Steering Problems!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 09:30 PM

Car Info: Subaru 2005 WRX
Power Steering Problems!!!

Heres the situation! 1st my PS Pump started to make a whining noise so I decided to get it replaced. When I replaced the PS Pump my PS hose collapsed. I upgraded on the hose & got a Chase Bays PS hose kit. I got the hoses replaced then my PS Rack blew. I was able to Diagnose that the PS Rack did blow by checking the PS Reservoir and the fluid was flowing but steering wheel stiffens when turning. So I got a brand new PS Rack & had the PS Pump replaced which was under warranty to make sure that everything is GOOD!!! Now my problem is my PS Pump is making that whining noise again like it was in the beginning but the steering wheel does not stiffen up. Let me know PLEASE on what you guys think on whats going on!?
Old 02-21-2013, 12:55 AM

Car Info: 2008 STI 5 door goon
not trying to jack your thread but i just bought an 08 sti and noticed that when the wheel is locked out on a full turn at low speeds the power steering sounds like it is whining.The dealer told me all of them make that sound and they compared it with other cars.I dont believe this but i am new to subarus. Im interested in what people have to say regarding this.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:30 AM

Car Info: 2005 STI (sold), 2013 STI, 2014 BURRZ
Just went through a similar issue with my power steering making all kinds of noise. With the car running and the cap off the reservoir, does the fluid foam or bubble? If so then you need to bleed the air out of the system. On mine I traced the problem to a bad o ring on the oil supply to the pump that was allowing air to get sucked in to the system.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by dozenutts
Just went through a similar issue with my power steering making all kinds of noise. With the car running and the cap off the reservoir, does the fluid foam or bubble? If so then you need to bleed the air out of the system. On mine I traced the problem to a bad o ring on the oil supply to the pump that was allowing air to get sucked in to the system.
They actually waste a whole gallon of PS fluid to bleed the system out really good. No foam or bubbles. The whole PS system is brand new. Im really confused...
Old 02-21-2013, 10:04 AM

Ok, my mechanic says that whining is caused by the aftermarket reservor from Chase Bays because it doesnt have any restrictor? so the aftermarket is just a straight shot that theres nothing restricting the PS fluid from circulating. Is that right or make any sense? Help me out please!!!