place to get exhaust db tested?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 03:46 PM

Car Info: 07 UGM FXT
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
Technically no. Anything on your car isn't illegal.

All of my suspension is modified and it's 100% legal. Wheels/tires. Same. Exhaust... not so much. My exhaust is loud as hell. I have been pulled over for it... as a cat back.

Some cat backs are WAY louder than some TBE exhausts. Say a cobb catted turbo back. 2.5 inch exhaust. Cats. Resonators. Etc. Then compare that to a tsudo or similar canister style 3 inch cat back coming off stock dp. It's gonna be louder.

I'd put my exhaust noise in the top 10% of all that I've ever heard. It's loud as hell.

Be nice if I could go get it tested somewhere official without having to worry about having them give me a ticket if I fail. LOL.

I'd venture to guess I'd fail.
My suspension is all modded too, I thought anything race modified was illegal? I stand corrected!

You should hear mine up there .
Old 09-12-2012, 03:57 PM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
Anything on your car EMISSIONS related, if not CARB legal/CARB EO, is illegal.

Most general performance modifications such as suspension, rims, etc... are not illegal. There are some parts identified as "not for street use" or "track only" that are sort of a grey area, and whether or not you get a ticket for them depends on the cop and what exactly the mod is, but yes those are technically not legal to be run on the street.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by 04GG

Most general performance modifications such as suspension, rims, etc... are not illegal. There are some parts identified as "not for street use" or "track only" that are sort of a grey area, and whether or not you get a ticket for them depends on the cop and what exactly the mod is, but yes those are technically not legal to be run on the street.
So partially right? haha. But fair enough, sounds appropriate.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:01 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.

exactly.

If you're extremely low you face a few laws. And if you're running rims super tucked/hella flush/hella stretched you could face a couple different laws.

There are a few codes you could get tagged for there. Like headlight height. That's a common one they use.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:01 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by DSav408

You should hear mine up there .
Will do... I'm curious how mine compares.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:04 PM

Will do... I'm curious how mine compares.
UEL header and a 2.36? CBE. I was catless before but I have the stock cats back in . But I am NA so of course there's some extra noise.

Comparing to buddies, the turbos are typically a deeper note.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:05 PM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
There's a lot of dumb ones that I see people violate all the time. Some of which I didn't know either.

Stickers on your windshield, rear window, and side windows - very specific places they are allowed and NOT allowed. I had no idea, not that I have stickers all over my windows either though.

(I knew this one, but it is really dumb) NOTHING is allowed to be dangling from your rear view mirror while driving.

Nothing that is not attached to the car on your rear deck. All those Camrys with freaking stuffed animals...

(this one pisses me off when I see it) TWO headphones in your ears while driving is ILLEGAL and stupid; one is not. I see it at least 4-5 times a day on my way to and from work.

Last edited by 04GG; 09-12-2012 at 04:08 PM.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:09 PM

There's a lot of dumb ones that I see people violate all the time. Some of which I didn't know either.

Stickers on your windshield, rear window, and side windows - very specific places they are allowed and NOT allowed. I had no idea, not that I have stickers all over my windows either though.

(I knew this one, but it is really dumb) NOTHING is allowed to be dangling from your rear view mirror while driving.

Nothing that is not attached to the car on your rear deck. All those Camrys with freaking stuffed animals...

(this one pisses me off when I see it) TWO headphones in your ears while driving is ILLEGAL and stupid; one is not. I see it at least 4-5 times a day on my way to and from work.
The last one is scary, I avoid these people like the plague.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:15 PM
General Pimpin'

Yeah. I hate when people do anything in public with two ear phones on/in. Skating. Bikes. Snowboarding. Etc

Last year justin got mad buried snowboarding. Some dude was riding directly to him and I was screaming at the dude and waving my hands.... directly in his line of site... while sprinting up hill in a foot of snow... Dude nearly runs justin over and keeps on going. He gets right in front of me with his damn head phones. Couldn't even hear me cussing him out. He didn't respond until my face was a foot away from his say **** YOU in his face.

Common sense people. Noise canceling headphone... can't hear ****. I wear them at work and people have to wave at me to get my attention. How are you gonna hear the ambulance you just cut off?
Old 09-12-2012, 04:42 PM

I don't get the full mountain shredding with headphones. I understand park jibs but idk I enjoy peace and quiet. Or at least no music in my ears while riding.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:00 PM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
This is why my setup gets quieter and quieter every time I change it. But since catbacks do not have any effect on emissions so you're clear there, to be hones though if you think its too loud and you want a free pass its PROBABLY over the limit Matt.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:27 PM
General Pimpin'

Yeah... and it's not a guarantee. I used to keep every modification relevant government paper in my box. Sometimes they work. Sometimes they don't.

I find with local PD they often work. With CHP it's give or take... with you doing most of the giving.

And believe it or not... unless the test changed you can actually be half way loud legally. It's at a certain distance and at a certain RPM. I think it was 15 feet and 3000rpms at 94.5 dbs. But it's been a LONG time since I paid attention to it. Guess I should read up again.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:24 PM

Car Info: 12Teens crazy 4 me
Originally Posted by DSav408
There's no performance gains really on putting exhaust parts on a 2.5 NA so you might just go for headers to get rumble? I haven't been bothered for my exhaust and I know for a fact that it is louder.

So what's your concern? Legality of the noise? Anything to your car is illegal, technically wheels, exhaust, springs, anything.
Thats absolutely true... no performance gains.

I have no real concern, since I know there is that db limit in California, but when the time came and I got pulled over, I wanted to know if there was a way to avoid getting a ticket since I would have proof to the officer that it is in fact under the limit.
Originally Posted by Heedz
This is why my setup gets quieter and quieter every time I change it. But since catbacks do not have any effect on emissions so you're clear there, to be hones though if you think its too loud and you want a free pass its PROBABLY over the limit Matt.
I'm not sure if its even loud now after what others are saying.. But for Los Altos... It might be retardedly loud since all we practically drive here are practically prius, leaf's and volts.
I find with local PD they often work. With CHP it's give or take... with you doing most of the giving.

And believe it or not... unless the test changed you can actually be half way loud legally. It's at a certain distance and at a certain RPM. I think it was 15 feet and 3000rpms at 94.5 dbs. But it's been a LONG time since I paid attention to it. Guess I should read up again.
Interesting.. Now i know about the PD vs CHP acceptance, thank you