place to get exhaust db tested?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 09:17 AM

Car Info: 12Teens crazy 4 me
place to get exhaust db tested?

Is there a place in the bay where i can get my exhaust decibel tested and have it recorded on paper?

Also would going to a testing location and having proof im under the db limit get me away from getting a ticket?

Thanks.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:18 AM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
Yes, the REF Measurement from anyone else doesn't mean anything. It may stop you from getting a ticket, but it won't stop you from getting pulled over if the exhaust is loud. The REF technically doesn't give you a "free pass" paper showing that you passed, however when I had to do mine, he gave me a copy of the paperwork and the ticket and said most cops probably wouldn't ticket you again if you show them that.

Last edited by 04GG; 09-12-2012 at 09:22 AM.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:19 AM

Car Info: 07 UGM FXT
Originally Posted by theoutbackdream
Is there a place in the bay where i can get my exhaust decibel tested and have it recorded on paper?

Also would going to a testing location and having proof im under the db limit get me away from getting a ticket?

Thanks.
Don't mean to be rude. But you have a catback...? Have you heard my exhaust? Or many of these other members? Haha. I think you will be just fine with a catback or axle back. Whichever you have. I wouldn't mind testing mine just for giggles.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:23 AM

Car Info: Galaxy Blue 2015 WRX
I read somewhere on here that you can go to a CHP station
Old 09-12-2012, 09:24 AM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Yes, I believe CHP have the ability to measure too, but didn't know you could go to them to test it.

The downside is, if you don't pass...
Old 09-12-2012, 09:26 AM

Amazon.com: Mini Digital Sound Level Meter: Home Improvement
Old 09-12-2012, 09:32 AM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

I already have a SPL meter The test is rather specific though, but not too complicated. Guessing something along the lines of this:

SEMA Standards

As stated, several states have adopted SEMA's 95-dB standard. This sound reading is taken 20 inches from the vehicle's exhaust pipes with the "A-weighted" (a specific type of calibration) decibel meter placed at a specific orientation to the exhaust pipe tip. When tested, the car should be in neutral with engine speed held at 3/4 of the engine's maximum rated revolutions per minute (RPM). These testing procedures are outlined by the Society of Automotive Engineers under Test Standard J-1287.
Testing it yourself will only tell you if it passes or not, but sure won't hold up as a ticket defense.

Last edited by 04GG; 09-12-2012 at 09:36 AM.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:20 AM

Car Info: 2016 WRX, 2014 lifter forester XT, 2005 JDM207 WGN
its still against the law to do anything to the exhaust so its still a loose loose situation lol
Old 09-12-2012, 10:23 AM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Originally Posted by 04caliwrx
its still against the law to do anything to the exhaust so its still a loose loose situation lol
Not exactly.

Noise

California, like most other states, has laws on the books regarding the level of noise that a car's exhaust can create. The law states that you can't modify the exhaust of a vehicle in such a way that the exhaust would then create more noise than is allowed by law, which in California is 95 decibels. Also, it states that not only can you not make the modification, but it is also illegal to operate any vehicle with an exhaust system that exceeds 95 decibels. This means that if you're driving your friend's car, you can receive a ticket for operation while your friend will receive a ticket for making the modification.
I've already been to the ref and passed. If the part is not CARB approved or exempt, it is illegal.

Last edited by 04GG; 09-12-2012 at 10:26 AM.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:50 PM
Want to steal my car?
I get stabby!

Car Info: 05 Wrx Impreza
They make an app for this. I found it on Droid market and it actually works. I'm not sure if its on IPhone though.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:04 PM

Car Info: '11 STI
here is the exact code:
V C Section 27151 Modification of Exhaust Systems
Old 09-12-2012, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by 04GG
Yes, the REF Measurement from anyone else doesn't mean anything. It may stop you from getting a ticket, but it won't stop you from getting pulled over if the exhaust is loud. The REF technically doesn't give you a "free pass" paper showing that you passed, however when I had to do mine, he gave me a copy of the paperwork and the ticket and said most cops probably wouldn't ticket you again if you show them that.
Darn it. So theres technically no way to get a "free pass" on a loud exhaust? I only brought this up because I read through google, and some guy did this with his honda and had been given a "free pass" when he showed evidence he was under the limit.
Originally Posted by DSav408
Don't mean to be rude. But you have a catback...? Have you heard my exhaust? Or many of these other members? Haha. I think you will be just fine with a catback or axle back. Whichever you have. I wouldn't mind testing mine just for giggles.
Yes, I have a catback, but I have the Tsudo N1, and its Crazy loud with my 2.5i. I have heared quite a few, and im thinking my Tsudo is a lot Louder than most of what i've heard.
Originally Posted by esousa22
I read somewhere on here that you can go to a CHP station
My only concern would be, what would happen If i wasn't under the legal limit.
Originally Posted by Manny408
They make an app for this. I found it on Droid market and it actually works. I'm not sure if its on IPhone though.
They do make an app, and i've used it, but I dont rely on it.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by flat489
Thank you, but then wouldn't all exhausts, be considered illegal then, because most performance aimed exhausts do generate more sound....?

So couldn't you fight its more of a "performance" mod, rather than a sound generating mod?

Thanks.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:27 PM

My exhaust is A LOT louder than a catback, I know what you have. If you're that concerned then put a silencer in it. There's no performance gains really on putting exhaust parts on a 2.5 NA so you might just go for headers to get rumble? I haven't been bothered for my exhaust and I know for a fact that it is louder.

So what's your concern? Legality of the noise? Anything to your car is illegal, technically wheels, exhaust, springs, anything.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:36 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Technically no. Anything on your car isn't illegal.

All of my suspension is modified and it's 100% legal. Wheels/tires. Same. Exhaust... not so much. My exhaust is loud as hell. I have been pulled over for it... as a cat back.

Some cat backs are WAY louder than some TBE exhausts. Say a cobb catted turbo back. 2.5 inch exhaust. Cats. Resonators. Etc. Then compare that to a tsudo or similar canister style 3 inch cat back coming off stock dp. It's gonna be louder.

I'd put my exhaust noise in the top 10% of all that I've ever heard. It's loud as hell.

Be nice if I could go get it tested somewhere official without having to worry about having them give me a ticket if I fail. LOL.

I'd venture to guess I'd fail.

Quick Reply: place to get exhaust db tested?