i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Bay Area (https://www.i-club.com/forums/bay-area-15/)
-   -   place to get exhaust db tested? (https://www.i-club.com/forums/bay-area-15/place-get-exhaust-db-tested-244678/)

theoutbackdream 09-12-2012 09:17 AM

place to get exhaust db tested?

Is there a place in the bay where i can get my exhaust decibel tested and have it recorded on paper?

Also would going to a testing location and having proof im under the db limit get me away from getting a ticket?

Thanks.

04GG 09-12-2012 09:18 AM

Yes, the REF :eek: Measurement from anyone else doesn't mean anything. It may stop you from getting a ticket, but it won't stop you from getting pulled over if the exhaust is loud. The REF technically doesn't give you a "free pass" paper showing that you passed, however when I had to do mine, he gave me a copy of the paperwork and the ticket and said most cops probably wouldn't ticket you again if you show them that.

DSav408 09-12-2012 09:19 AM

[QUOTE=theoutbackdream;3290955]Is there a place in the bay where i can get my exhaust decibel tested and have it recorded on paper?

Also would going to a testing location and having proof im under the db limit get me away from getting a ticket?

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Don't mean to be rude. But you have a catback...? Have you heard my exhaust? Or many of these other members? Haha. I think you will be just fine with a catback or axle back. Whichever you have. I wouldn't mind testing mine just for giggles.

esousa22 09-12-2012 09:23 AM

I read somewhere on here that you can go to a CHP station

04GG 09-12-2012 09:24 AM

Yes, I believe CHP have the ability to measure too, but didn't know you could go to them to test it.

The downside is, if you don't pass...

DSav408 09-12-2012 09:26 AM

[url=http://www.amazon.com/Mini-Digital-Sound-Level-Meter/dp/B001THX3M0]Amazon.com: Mini Digital Sound Level Meter: Home Improvement[/url]

04GG 09-12-2012 09:32 AM

I already have a SPL meter :) The test is rather specific though, but not too complicated. Guessing something along the lines of this:

[quote]SEMA Standards

As stated, several states have adopted SEMA's 95-dB standard. This sound reading is taken 20 inches from the vehicle's exhaust pipes with the "A-weighted" (a specific type of calibration) decibel meter placed at a specific orientation to the exhaust pipe tip. When tested, the car should be in neutral with engine speed held at 3/4 of the engine's maximum rated revolutions per minute (RPM). These testing procedures are outlined by the Society of Automotive Engineers under Test Standard J-1287.[/quote]

Testing it yourself will only tell you if it passes or not, but sure won't hold up as a ticket defense.

04caliwrx 09-12-2012 10:20 AM

its still against the law to do anything to the exhaust so its still a loose loose situation lol

04GG 09-12-2012 10:23 AM

[QUOTE=04caliwrx;3290978]its still against the law to do anything to the exhaust so its still a loose loose situation lol[/QUOTE]

Not exactly.

[quote]Noise

California, like most other states, has laws on the books regarding the level of noise that a car's exhaust can create. The law states that you can't modify the exhaust of a vehicle in such a way that the exhaust would then create more noise than is allowed by law, which in California is 95 decibels. Also, it states that not only can you not make the modification, but it is also illegal to operate any vehicle with an exhaust system that exceeds 95 decibels. This means that if you're driving your friend's car, you can receive a ticket for operation while your friend will receive a ticket for making the modification.[/quote]

I've already been to the ref and passed. If the part is not CARB approved or exempt, it is illegal.

Manny408 09-12-2012 12:50 PM

They make an app for this. I found it on Droid market and it actually works. I'm not sure if its on IPhone though.

flat489 09-12-2012 01:04 PM

here is the exact code:
[url=http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc27151.htm]V C Section 27151 Modification of Exhaust Systems[/url]

theoutbackdream 09-12-2012 03:13 PM

[QUOTE=04GG;3290956]Yes, the REF :eek: Measurement from anyone else doesn't mean anything. It may stop you from getting a ticket, but it won't stop you from getting pulled over if the exhaust is loud. The REF technically doesn't give you a "free pass" paper showing that you passed, however when I had to do mine, he gave me a copy of the paperwork and the ticket and said most cops probably wouldn't ticket you again if you show them that.[/QUOTE]
Darn it. So theres technically no way to get a "free pass" on a loud exhaust? I only brought this up because I read through google, and some guy did this with his honda and had been given a "free pass" when he showed evidence he was under the limit.
[QUOTE=DSav408;3290957]Don't mean to be rude. But you have a catback...? Have you heard my exhaust? Or many of these other members? Haha. I think you will be just fine with a catback or axle back. Whichever you have. I wouldn't mind testing mine just for giggles.[/QUOTE]
Yes, I have a catback, but I have the Tsudo N1, and its Crazy loud with my 2.5i. I have heared quite a few, and im thinking my Tsudo is a lot Louder than most of what i've heard.
[QUOTE=esousa22;3290960]I read somewhere on here that you can go to a CHP station[/QUOTE]
My only concern would be, what would happen If i wasn't under the legal limit.
[QUOTE=Manny408;3291052]They make an app for this. I found it on Droid market and it actually works. I'm not sure if its on IPhone though.[/QUOTE]

They do make an app, and i've used it, but I dont rely on it.

theoutbackdream 09-12-2012 03:15 PM

[QUOTE=flat489;3291060]here is the exact code:
[url=http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc27151.htm]V C Section 27151 Modification of Exhaust Systems[/url][/QUOTE]

Thank you, but then wouldn't all exhausts, be considered illegal then, because most performance aimed exhausts do generate more sound....?

So couldn't you fight its more of a "performance" mod, rather than a sound generating mod?

Thanks.

DSav408 09-12-2012 03:27 PM

My exhaust is A LOT louder than a catback, I know what you have. If you're that concerned then put a silencer in it. There's no performance gains really on putting exhaust parts on a 2.5 NA so you might just go for headers to get rumble? I haven't been bothered for my exhaust and I know for a fact that it is louder.

So what's your concern? Legality of the noise? Anything to your car is illegal, technically wheels, exhaust, springs, anything.

OneManArmy 09-12-2012 03:36 PM

Technically no. Anything on your car isn't illegal.

All of my suspension is modified and it's 100% legal. Wheels/tires. Same. Exhaust... not so much. My exhaust is loud as hell. I have been pulled over for it... as a cat back.

Some cat backs are WAY louder than some TBE exhausts. Say a cobb catted turbo back. 2.5 inch exhaust. Cats. Resonators. Etc. Then compare that to a tsudo or similar canister style 3 inch cat back coming off stock dp. It's gonna be louder.

I'd put my exhaust noise in the top 10% of all that I've ever heard. It's loud as hell.

Be nice if I could go get it tested somewhere official without having to worry about having them give me a ticket if I fail. LOL.

I'd venture to guess I'd fail.