Car Info: 09 STI
Originally Posted by flukewrx
so which filter is it?
wix 57712
Old 01-11-2014, 01:39 AM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
Originally Posted by wwrx
wix 57712

Sorry, missed that question. Yes, this is it. Napa gold filters are also a rebrand of it, so if you have a Napa near by, you can use that.
Old 01-14-2014, 05:55 PM

Car Info: 2006 Subaru WRX TR
What do you guys think about ENEOS oil? I have an oil change coming up soon (at 2400 miles now) and wanna get it done at 3,000 miles. Garage 1 auto in san jose did a complete head gasket job plus other things like spark plugs, water pump, oil pump, vacuum lines, etc. the list goes on, 2 or so months ago but they also did an oil change with ENEOS oil, my question is, has anyone ever used it? and seen any consumption problems or any sort of recall/bad reviews on them? looking at my dibstick it still seems fine on F but i just wanna see what other people have to say, i have plans on going back to them in a couple weeks when i get 3,000 for my next oil change unless otherwise. But they do great work nonetheless! I am just paranoid with the whole debates over different oils and whats good, etc..thanks in advance!!
Old 01-14-2014, 08:36 PM

Car Info: 2006 obp wrx limited sedan
Originally Posted by AWDmeelad95
What do you guys think about ENEOS oil? I have an oil change coming up soon (at 2400 miles now) and wanna get it done at 3,000 miles. Garage 1 auto in san jose did a complete head gasket job plus other things like spark plugs, water pump, oil pump, vacuum lines, etc. the list goes on, 2 or so months ago but they also did an oil change with ENEOS oil, my question is, has anyone ever used it? and seen any consumption problems or any sort of recall/bad reviews on them? looking at my dibstick it still seems fine on F but i just wanna see what other people have to say, i have plans on going back to them in a couple weeks when i get 3,000 for my next oil change unless otherwise. But they do great work nonetheless! I am just paranoid with the whole debates over different oils and whats good, etc..thanks in advance!!
Hmmm usually shops buy the cheap stuff for more profit. Are you using a conventinal? Or are you just **** about your OCI.....a good synthetic would easily surpass 7k miles before needing a swap.
Also did you supply the parts for the work being done?
Might want to find out what brands of stuff they replaced your parts with as anything less than oem on the timing components is asking for trouble sooner than later.

Stick with 5w30 factory subaru oil or pull the trigger on 5w40 rotella t6.
Wouldnt touch anything shops use for their house brands.

Im pretty sure i can blame my rangers self detonation due to burning oil from jiffy lubes quaker state. Took 1 month and 1k miles to burn all but 1 quart of oil in the engine and pistons siezed.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:06 PM

Car Info: 0[[XXXXoXXXX]]0
Originally Posted by Scoobywax
Hmmm usually shops buy the cheap stuff for more profit. Are you using a conventinal? Or are you just **** about your OCI.....a good synthetic would easily surpass 7k miles before needing a swap.
Also did you supply the parts for the work being done?
Might want to find out what brands of stuff they replaced your parts with as anything less than oem on the timing components is asking for trouble sooner than later.

Wouldnt touch anything shops use for their house brands.
ENEOS is not cheap oil... retails over $8/qt. and has a good rep, IIRC. But TBN and HTHS numbers of one oil I found are not the best, not the worst. So, do a UOA at 3k here and see where it stands. Check BITOG for others' comments.

Subaru 5w30 is OK oil, certainly not suitable for 7k OCIs (it is NOT the same as what comes in your sump from the factory these days, that is good oil reportedly). Only testing can show that your particular engine/driving style/hair color can go for long OCIs on a certain oil.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by STi-owns-evo
Sorry, missed that question. Yes, this is it. Napa gold filters are also a rebrand of it, so if you have a Napa near by, you can use that.
And the purolator 14460, no? [For WRXs at least] Gives a bypass rated range of 20-26, so better than other more generic 10-15 psi filters when spec is 23.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by oaklandish_WRX

ENEOS is not cheap oil... retails over $8/qt. and has a good rep, IIRC. But TBN and HTHS numbers of one oil I found are not the best, not the worst. So, do a UOA at 3k here and see where it stands. Check BITOG for others' comments.

Subaru 5w30 is OK oil, certainly not suitable for 7k OCIs (it is NOT the same as what comes in your sump from the factory these days, that is good oil reportedly). Only testing can show that your particular engine/driving style/hair color can go for long OCIs on a certain oil.
I have never heard of it is why i was skeptical. Havent google searched it yet.
And the price doesnt mean its the best. My rp530 was $9 a quart and that stuff shears like mad.

A good uoa is the best tool as you mentioned.

I meant subaru oil in general is ok. Certainly better than some things people use.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:01 AM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
I ran T6 in mine and switched back to the Subaru oil. Mine did not like the 40W of the T6.

Hair color is often a highly overlooked factor, good point
Old 01-15-2014, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by 04GG

I ran T6 in mine and switched back to the Subaru oil. Mine did not like the 40W of the T6.
What problems did you have? How long did you use it? The only issue i have is during cold weather startups.
Below 40 degrees and it sounds like it has a bit of trouble when it fires up. Always fires but doesnt sound as strong. Normal driving it feels great tho. Im around 1500 miles on a fresh t6 change. Havent checked the dip yet.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:39 AM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

I could tell the difference all the time, regardless of ambient temp at start up that the 40W had a little more hesitation. At temp it felt relatively normal and actually did not burn it off during that change at all so it holds up well, but I decided to stick with 30W. I have about 2K+ miles on Torco right now and I'm liking it.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:58 AM

Rotella doesnt do 5w30 do they? If it gets worse for me i will end up switching back to rp530. Expensive but good stuff. Never had blow by with rp but had excessive with subaru 5w30. I only bought two gallons for 45 bux enough for an oil change and some extra.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:26 PM

Car Info: 12Teens crazy 4 me

Hair color is often a highly overlooked factor, good point
I could tell the difference all the time, regardless of ambient temp at start up that the 40W had a little more hesitation. At temp it felt relatively normal and actually did not burn it off during that change at all so it holds up well, but I decided to stick with 30W. I have about 2K+ miles on Torco right now and I'm liking it.
Interesting you mention that 04GG... I have done Rotella T6 since the 2nd oil change on my WRX. I noticed once it got colder the car on startup was getting a bit louder, and seemed as if normal operating temps took a bit longer to achieve.

Rotella doesnt do 5w30 do they?
No they do not.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:58 PM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Rotella doesnt do 5w30 do they? If it gets worse for me i will end up switching back to rp530. Expensive but good stuff. Never had blow by with rp but had excessive with subaru 5w30. I only bought two gallons for 45 bux enough for an oil change and some extra.
I was buying the Subaru oil by the case and that's about 2.5 oil changes and is only about $1/qt more than the T6 that way. After I had basically all leaks corrected on the WRX, it rarely ate any of it and I used it for over 2 years and I drive a LOT. I've been using it on the FXT for a few months and it has been OK on it too.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:06 PM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
And the purolator 14460, no? [For WRXs at least] Gives a bypass rated range of 20-26, so better than other more generic 10-15 psi filters when spec is 23.

You're correct, the Purolator has the right bypass PSI, but doesn't have an anti-drain back valve. While there's a lot of differing opinions of the adbv, I think it's good to have an adbv even for our cars that have the filter with the threads up. It keeps some oil up in the motor instead of letting gravity drain it out.

Does the anti drain back valve matter? | Oil Filters | Bob Is The Oil Guy

The few extra $ the WIX costs is worth the possibility of protecting the motor that little bit more.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:24 PM

what kind of intervals were you running on the SOA oil?

Rotella doesnt do 5w30 do they?
So-called German Castrol is 5W30, bit on the thick side and holds up well in EJ engines. Available at AZ for $8/qt. Pennzoil Ultra* is good 5W30 and is on sale occasionally. Even, for the money, Shell Rotella T5 in 10W30 is a good oil, synth blend for warmer climes or hair colors.

If you need cold cranking the M1 0W40 euro oil is cheap and very good oil.

* - Reportedly, Pennz is merging the Ultra and PRemium lines into a new oil formulation (GF-6 compliant).

cheers, gents!

Quick Reply: Oil change