The Official: All Things Phone Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 12:35 PM
Moist IT Outsourcing Services

Car Info: Mahindra Tractor
Originally Posted by sigma pi
Oneplus One is a hunk of crap now, going to nexus 5x sometime this year.
5x was a major let down in my opinion. Way too much bezel and the specs aren't that great.
Old 01-06-2016, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by rupees88
I know what you mean, the Nexus 5 has been a great phone for me, no complaints, probably the best phone I have owned thus far. Unfortunately it's starting to show it's age, and the build quality issues are starting to show up more and more.

Have you gotten your 6P yet? If so, thoughts?

I wanted the OnePlus X, however they didn't build in band support for ATT so it was a no-go.

Ya'll hiring?
I got it, it's pretty slick and fast.....but i forgot i needed to get a nano sim. So now i'm waiting on that to deliver so i can actually use it.

The screen isn't as wide as i thought it would be, so it fits the hand nicely. It will take awhile to get used to the new buttons/layout coming from the s4. I'm sure that won't be too bad.

The one thing i've noticed is that the swipes to bring up the top menus are not as clean as i'd hope. It's actually a bit awkward and not as smooth. It's been taking me about 3-4 times to get it down. it'll come down, then shoot back up, or not all the way down etc.

It's a 2 swipe system, the first part brings up the notifications, then you have to swipe down again to get to the phone 'setting' menu. I'll have to really sit down and customize this phone to get things more easily accessible.

I know it sounds odd, but holding the power button down only brings up "shut down" and no "restart". I'm not sure why, but it just struck me as a little odd.

There are some default features that are set to on that need to turn off right away. I'll do a proper list once i actually get it working and carry it around with me. Right now it's on my table at home waiting.
Old 01-06-2016, 03:20 PM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
Yea it took me getting used to not having a "restart" option when hitting the power button. Now you just have to manually restart it. Im sure there are apps that would let you reboot.

As far as having to swipe down twice to get to the settings, swipe down once with TWO fingers
Old 01-07-2016, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Akira-R
I got it, it's pretty slick and fast.....but i forgot i needed to get a nano sim. So now i'm waiting on that to deliver so i can actually use it.

The screen isn't as wide as i thought it would be, so it fits the hand nicely. It will take awhile to get used to the new buttons/layout coming from the s4. I'm sure that won't be too bad.

The one thing i've noticed is that the swipes to bring up the top menus are not as clean as i'd hope. It's actually a bit awkward and not as smooth. It's been taking me about 3-4 times to get it down. it'll come down, then shoot back up, or not all the way down etc.

It's a 2 swipe system, the first part brings up the notifications, then you have to swipe down again to get to the phone 'setting' menu. I'll have to really sit down and customize this phone to get things more easily accessible.

I know it sounds odd, but holding the power button down only brings up "shut down" and no "restart". I'm not sure why, but it just struck me as a little odd.

There are some default features that are set to on that need to turn off right away. I'll do a proper list once i actually get it working and carry it around with me. Right now it's on my table at home waiting.
Mind posting pics when you get a chance?

Some of the things you described are 'Nexus' issues or 'features'.

Nexus models don't have a restart option, I don't know why it makes no sense, but if you root your phone you can get some apps that will reboot for you.

I don't know if you use Nova Launcher, but it's the best launcher I have used personally and it helps reduce the issue with the slow pull down on the notifications tab. That started happening either right before Marshmallow or after the upgrade. Nova Launcher is working on actively fixing it and their latest beta release had some major improvements in the draw time.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:43 AM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
5x was a major let down in my opinion. Way too much bezel and the specs aren't that great.
Agreed, what is coming out this year that is 5 inch?
Old 01-11-2016, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by sigma pi
Agreed, what is coming out this year that is 5 inch?
From what I've heard the Galaxy S7 is coming out in 3 sizes, the middle one being under 5.5, LG G5 is supposed to go down to 5.3, I've been eyeing the Sony Xperia Z5, but it doesn't retail in the states and it's stupid expensive for a phone that has some software issues.

You also have some Chinese manufactures coming out with phones at some point this year, but I'll hold out on spending cash on them.
Old 01-11-2016, 02:10 PM
Churro Aficionado

Used the NRT for the second time.

Up to date now on 6.0.1 and rooted.
This time around I decided to install TWRP as well.
Old 01-11-2016, 02:19 PM
Churro Aficionado

So far, the boot up time on the N6 is WAY faster than lollipop ever was. If I had to guess its a solid 20-30 seconds faster.
Old 01-11-2016, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by stupidchicken03
Used the NRT for the second time.

Up to date now on 6.0.1 and rooted.
This time around I decided to install TWRP as well.
Nothing comes close to how good TWRP is.

So far, the boot up time on the N6 is WAY faster than lollipop ever was. If I had to guess its a solid 20-30 seconds faster.
Yeah, I noticed the same on the N5, however its still pretty slow.
Old 01-12-2016, 06:30 AM
Churro Aficionado

I had TWRP back in the day on my S3 and it was great. But I was also flashing ROMs/Radios/Modems like crazy back then too
Old 01-12-2016, 08:59 AM
Churro Aficionado

So with MM, when you plug your phone into your PC, USB Debugging doesnt automatically work like it used to. Stupid.

So I have to toggle it from MTP - charging - back to MTP to be able to access files to/from the phone/PC.

That was kind of a dumb idea Google.

Also, looking around to try and find a way to access the root files of the phone on PC. For whatever reason, both ES File Explorer and Solid Explorer (both have root access), cant transfer/move a file from storage to system partition.
Old 01-12-2016, 09:15 AM

So with MM, when you plug your phone into your PC, USB Debugging doesnt automatically work like it used to. Stupid.

So I have to toggle it from MTP - charging - back to MTP to be able to access files to/from the phone/PC.

That was kind of a dumb idea Google.

Also, looking around to try and find a way to access the root files of the phone on PC. For whatever reason, both ES File Explorer and Solid Explorer (both have root access), cant transfer/move a file from storage to system partition.
Last time I checked there is a specific application to move files into the root directory. I can't remember what it is.

I don't use ES File Explorer anymore. Bought Solid Explorer and won't be going back.
Old 01-12-2016, 09:22 AM
Churro Aficionado

Just got BuyBox Pro and going to test out PC software called Android Commander.. we'll see
Old 01-12-2016, 09:46 AM

Mind posting pics when you get a chance?

Some of the things you described are 'Nexus' issues or 'features'.

Nexus models don't have a restart option, I don't know why it makes no sense, but if you root your phone you can get some apps that will reboot for you.

I don't know if you use Nova Launcher, but it's the best launcher I have used personally and it helps reduce the issue with the slow pull down on the notifications tab. That started happening either right before Marshmallow or after the upgrade. Nova Launcher is working on actively fixing it and their latest beta release had some major improvements in the draw time.
Just got it working finally.

A few things to note that again about the UI. The "back" button isn't a permanent feature like my old S4. you have to call up the bottom hidden menu. It's pretty annoying.

The phone is juuuuust too big to be able to type with one hand.

The power/volume buttons are right where i want my fingers to be when holding the phone, so i tend to lock the phone and screw the volume up a bunch.

The phone itself is fast, really fast.

the build of the phone feels pretty solid.

The charging is pretty fast so far. I just need to order a qc car charger now since that is where the majority of charging happens.

My only issues with the phone so far is the speaker volume and a ton of just odd UI design choices. From the phone dialer, to the contacts and messaging. I haven't even setup email yet, so we'll see how that goes later.

I'll post pics later on today.
Old 01-12-2016, 11:25 AM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
From what I've heard the Galaxy S7 is coming out in 3 sizes, the middle one being under 5.5, LG G5 is supposed to go down to 5.3, I've been eyeing the Sony Xperia Z5, but it doesn't retail in the states and it's stupid expensive for a phone that has some software issues.

You also have some Chinese manufactures coming out with phones at some point this year, but I'll hold out on spending cash on them.
sweet I will be waiting for a medium

Quick Reply: The Official: All Things Phone Thread