Just saw a Limited (grey) Sti being towed on 2 wheels (plate #5J??343)

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 07:11 PM

Car Info: '06 SGM WRX / 18G (300/291) RIP, '05 TB Evo VIII
I was parked in a yellow zone. 90% of that area is yellow. Car drives fine for the time being aside from my keyless entry no longer beeping for lock/unlock. I'm thinking they might have broke in since the seat was back farther than I normally sit, and I'm a pretty tall guy. Looked over the tow report and found out that I was charged an additional $43.50 for "extra dolly/flatbed fee." I'm keeping my fingers crossed that everything is ok and that I would have noticed something immediately while driving it. I would much rather pay my dues and get towed correctly than to get a new drivetrain by going through the courts because some fool failed tow truck driver 101. My mind is still blown at how fast they were able to do it. Must have been up the street and saw me park
Old 05-13-2009, 07:19 PM

Car Info: '03 WRX wagon, faster than walkin'
Originally Posted by huck
Like I said, just saw a Limited (dark grey) Sti being towed on 2 wheels (plate #5J??343) down Harrison St in San Francisco. At 1:40pm today.

May have just been an 06-07 WRX but pretty sure I saw the black Brembos as it rolled by... with alarm going off too.

I tried to get a photo but my iphone wouldnt boot up fast enough. Will gladly come forward as a witness of damages if needed.
Nope, had a talk with a tow truck company, it is normal for all Subaru's to b AWD, so the tow co is libel - similar issue almost happened to me...on unusual makes, sometimes that can be used for an excuse, or at least they try to.

But the tow company is being paid, that means they have to take more than minimum care of the car...
Old 05-13-2009, 07:31 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 05 WRX
Originally Posted by 06WRXtacy
Looked over the tow report and found out that I was charged an additional $43.50 for "extra dolly/flatbed fee." I'm keeping my fingers crossed that everything is ok and that I would have noticed something immediately while driving it. I would much rather pay my dues and get towed correctly than to get a new drivetrain by going through the courts because some fool failed tow truck driver 101. My mind is still blown at how fast they were able to do it. Must have been up the street and saw me park
Are you in complete denial? Huck saw them towing it on 2 wheels, then they charge you extra for a flatbed????

Your car was towed at least for a short distance on 2 wheels. That is a fact, and even a short distance will have placed lots of wear on your diff.

You should be getting that car to a subaru shop to look for damage, raising hell with the towing company & contacting a lawyer asap.

Don't just accept that your car is fine.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:43 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '02 WRB WRX Wagon
Originally Posted by glenspen
Are you in complete denial? Huck saw them towing it on 2 wheels, then they charge you extra for a flatbed????

Your car was towed at least for a short distance on 2 wheels. That is a fact, and even a short distance will have placed lots of wear on your diff.

You should be getting that car to a subaru shop to look for damage, raising hell with the towing company & contacting a lawyer asap.

Don't just accept that your car is fine.
I fully agree. Don't waste time waiting for something to fail. Take action now!
Old 05-13-2009, 07:49 PM

Car Info: 94 Integra beater: one Slow 3 Series RIP EvoX
get an inspection ASAP
if they find damage make sure the idiot tow truck driver gets whats coming to him
ignorance is not an excuse to F'up with people's property
Old 05-13-2009, 07:51 PM

Car Info: 07lmtd 6spd wrx eq tuned
you should definitely sue the tow-company , if there is damage of course (most likely)
Old 05-13-2009, 07:52 PM

Car Info: 2005 Forester X
+1, you wait any longer and you will be up **** creek with out a paddle.
They are going to have more time to deny your claim against them for waiting. Call the shop tomorrow and tell them you have 2 people who can verify that the carw as towed with out a flat bed. Take the car to LIC and have them check it out, send the bill to the tow company with a lawyers request for repairs and maintence fees to be paid due to neglagence on the tow companys part.
Don't be nice about this man, in the end the only one that will hurt is you if you don't say something now!!!!!
I'll call them for you if I have too.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:29 PM

Car Info: 04 STi
Originally Posted by 06WRXtacy
I would much rather pay my dues and get towed correctly than to get a new drivetrain by going through the courts because some fool failed tow truck driver 101. My mind is still blown at how fast they were able to do it. Must have been up the street and saw me park
DUDE!?! I hope you are a troll playing a joke on us... if you're not, you need to stand up for yourself! Paying a ticket and a tow fine, yeah thats ethical..... but if the Tow Co. caused damage to your drivetrain, they need to pick up the tab. Just because you broke some petty law does not give them the right to destroy your car.

Take your car to a reputable i-club vendor and have them inspect your drivetrain.... if everything is good, consider yourself lucky. If it is broke, take action against the incompetent Tow Co.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:34 PM
10.07.85 - 05.22.10

Car Info: 2007 STI
Originally Posted by subie OCD
DUDE!?! I hope you are a troll playing a joke on us...
I know him. He's not a troll. This is for real
Old 05-13-2009, 08:43 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Sue those bastards! I know it sounds hard, it's not. Open the phone book and call a lawyer, they will give you advice for free, and then you can hire there if you want, which you will after you talk to the lawyer. You will come out on top. There is no mistaking it, you ARE a victim, YOUR DIFF WAS DESTROYED, which is a MAJOR part of the car! Get as much money as you can!
Old 05-13-2009, 08:45 PM

Car Info: '06 SGM WRX / 18G (300/291) RIP, '05 TB Evo VIII
pm'd huck and asked him if he got a good look at the car and if it was really on 2 wheels or if the rear wheels were on dollies. dollies are usually small and black, just like my rims, so they could have been there and he didn't get a good look. like i said before, i was charged and extra amount for "dollies" and i imagine this is not their first rodeo with a subaru, so i do have hope that they were used. the tow yard is a few miles away which is more than enough time to completely destroy my transfer case. the car drove fine all the way home to san rafael. no noises no vibrations. until he gets back to me, i'm going to have to have faith that they used what they said they used.

i think ppl need to read my posts before they jump to the bottom and respond.

Last edited by 06WRXtacy; 05-13-2009 at 08:47 PM.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:04 PM

Car Info: COBB ots Stg 2, 06 STi
As a new LEO and SUBY owner I would get your car checked out. You said earlier you were gone 5 minutes. I know the city is efficient in towing cars, but make no mistake ironic how the could lift and slide dollies, get out of the truck operate the truck to tow...etc, in oakland a good tow is about 10mins start to finish. Not clowning the operators or knowledge but error on the side of caution. GET IT CHECKED OUT. The tow sheet should have all the information in case you need to file. Hope this helps.
-Chris
Old 05-13-2009, 09:48 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2013 GR STi
It passed no more than 20 feet away from me and my assistant. We both saw it rolling on two wheels, no dollies.

I have a feeling a busted center diff is something quite noticeable though. If it drives fine, maybe we're both wrong. Ha!
Old 05-13-2009, 10:12 PM

Car Info: 07 WRX STI Limited Edition
OUCH...that sucks! That's why I bought that AWD sticker and put it on my windshield the first month I had my car....stupid tow truck drivers!!
Old 05-13-2009, 10:20 PM

Car Info: 2005 Forester X
have it checked man, I really don't believe that a tow truck saw your car and towed it just because, he would have to have a request to tow it, otherwise any car could get towed at any time for any reason and they can just say it was parked in a red zone with out proof.
So unless you are not being realistic with the amout of time you were in the store, they had to have cut some corner to get it up on and moving.

Quick Reply: Just saw a Limited (grey) Sti being towed on 2 wheels (plate #5J??343)