Insurance question...

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2005, 12:00 PM
Admin v2.0

Car Info: 02 Black Legacy GT
Insurance question...

Here is the scenario...

My car: Full insurance coverage under my name.

My friend borrows it for a date and rearends another car...

When exchanging insurance info with the other driver, my friend gives him HIS licence info and my insurance, because of course he does not carry his insurance car with him.

Accident is HIS fault.

Whos insurance will cover the car. Mine, because the car is under my name, or his, because he is the driver...

TIA!
Old 05-25-2005, 12:18 PM
the artist formerly known as mcdrama

Car Info: WRBP 2015 WRX Premium/CVT
I am no expert, but an accident that he caused should go on his record. If his insurance will not cover him driving others vehicles, see if yours will cover him, otherwise I think he might end up owing you some money. :x
Old 05-25-2005, 12:24 PM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: MY04 STi some call it a race car
Originally Posted by mcdrama
I am no expert, but an accident that he caused should go on his record. If his insurance will not cover him driving others vehicles, see if yours will cover him, otherwise I think he might end up owing you some money. :x
Agreed, but it really comes down to, if your insurance cover's other's driving your car....if not you pay = he owe's you big time.

Accidents stay on insurance record for 5 years. Not only that remember there are DMW points and Insurance points, which are seperate....even though my driving DMV record is clean, I have a 2 insurance points, 1 for a ticket and 1 for filing a claim.....IT'S BS. They make sure they get there money one way or another.

-Noah
Old 05-25-2005, 12:56 PM
Admin v2.0

Car Info: 02 Black Legacy GT
I see...

So he gets the DMV point.

His insurance covers the damage *IF* his policy covers OTHER CARS.

Or my insurance covers the damage *IF* my policy covers OTHER DRIVERS.

Or, noone covers anything, and I will have to cut my friend's kahuna's off...

Am I correct?
Old 05-25-2005, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by LICmotorsports
Agreed, but it really comes down to, if your insurance cover's other's driving your car....if not you pay = he owe's you big time.

Accidents stay on insurance record for 5 years. Not only that remember there are DMW points and Insurance points, which are seperate....even though my driving DMV record is clean, I have a 2 insurance points, 1 for a ticket and 1 for filing a claim.....IT'S BS. They make sure they get there money one way or another.

-Noah
ive been in this senario. if he has insurance then he calls his company and makes a claim and it will be taken care off. if he dosent and your insurance covers oters driving. then yours will pay and jack you for mor money later on. all points and such will go on your friends record. but the claim will be under your insurance policy for life. the insurnace underwriters can see your entire driving record when adjusting for payments.
Old 05-25-2005, 01:36 PM

Car Info: '02 WRX, Aspen White, Stage 1 Cobb
what's your insurance? I highly doubt that he is even insured to drive your car... in which case, he is driving without insurance....
a company like Mercury doesn't let anyone else drive your car.

If your insurance takes care of it... ultimately, your insurance will go up... reason being is that your insurance company will view as a liability.

If his insurance won't take care of it... I would get insurance entirely out of the picture. Fixing scratches on a rear bumper won't be very expensive..... and getting stuff like that on your record is pretty bad for you. If you have 3 incidents of any kind on your insurance (ticket or accidents on your car).... your insurance will sky-rocket. the step from 2 to 3 points can easily be $1-2k... especially on a Subaru
Old 05-25-2005, 01:55 PM
the artist formerly known as mcdrama

Car Info: WRBP 2015 WRX Premium/CVT
Originally Posted by Imprezer
I see...

So he gets the DMV point.

His insurance covers the damage *IF* his policy covers OTHER CARS.

Or my insurance covers the damage *IF* my policy covers OTHER DRIVERS.

Or, noone covers anything, and I will have to cut my friend's kahuna's off...

Am I correct?
bingo! I recommend a spyderco knife, they are very sharp.
Old 05-25-2005, 04:39 PM
Former Vendor

Car Info: Evo X
His insurance should cover it. It's like renting a car.

But if not, and if you have 21st Centry, this is what the contract says
Originally Posted by 21st.com
The contract allows for a permissive use. Permissive use allows you to let any licensed driver use your vehicle with your permission. Should that driver get into an accident, the coverages on the car he/she was using will apply. The driver(s) cannot be a resident of your household or currently excluded from the policy. Driver's living in your household that are listed on the policy are already covered.
Leo
Old 05-25-2005, 06:27 PM

Car Info: 05 dusty black wagon
It probably will be covered by your insurance, but your insurance will get money from his insurance to cover losses. I'd call insurance and clarify this though.
Old 05-25-2005, 08:37 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2006 BLQ WRX WGN
Your insurance covers it. I had a 3k cosmetic mishap in someone else's wrx. I paid his deductible, and his insurance company took my information. His insurance cost didn't go up, but he is 32 and has a clean driving record, as well as a relationship with his agent.