How to get an MRI done with metal inside your body?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 01:31 AM

Car Info: 99RS-T
Originally Posted by Gancherov
Code 3, every post of yours is like a personal taunt to me. I'm currently sitting at a robotics convention, working as a standby EMT because AMR seems to NEVER be hiring. I'm on hour 14 of my shift, and so far I have handed out 2 goddamn band-aids. You have no idea how potent my secret hatred of you is.
Are you a driver too? In my line of work Drivers cant work more than 12or13 hrs a day or you violate DOT laws(department Of Transportation). Well thats if they find out, and its not your fault but your employers.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:50 AM
Warm Fuzzy Admin

Car Info: 97 LOB, 05 FXT, 03 Tundra
I can't believe they won't talk to the issue over the phone - that's jacked.
One question; I thought true stainless (IE surgical) was also nonmagnetic.

I think there's a bigger issue with imaging around the affected areas than a pain issue, but the person doing the imaging is the person that's going to be able to talk to it best.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:54 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
My guess is surgical stainless steel has very little iron in the alloy. So little in fact, it will probably not have a reaction to the MRI. 304 stainless can have magnetic properties, 316 on up have almost no mag properties.

I say wing it. It'd be a cool story. I don't think I have ever met anyone that had screws ripped from their arm or what ever.

Lastly, I've got back problems too. I've had an MRI to diagnose what the problem was. Once I found out what it was there was need for another MRI. Unless things have changed it probably isn't necessary.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:14 AM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
MRI's use such a strong magnetic field that even jail house tattoos (that use trace metals) can be ripped out of the skin and thats why Im freaked out.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:26 AM

Car Info: 07 350Z
Yeah, surgical stainless steel or regular stainless steel still won't work with the MRI. AFAIK, only metal that can get in the MRI used these days is titanium. I'm pretty sure my stainless steel rods in my back are not 100% SS, but it will still not work in the MRI. Like Bruce said, you can't even have a little necklace or bracelet, so having a ton of screws in your body doesn't work lol.

Last edited by JDM555; 03-19-2010 at 11:29 AM.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:29 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Corvette Z51
Originally Posted by VRT MBasile
WTF? Phone appointment? When I had lab work and a thyroid ultrasound at El Camino in Sunnyvale/Mountain View my doctor called me later in the day after both things. One to suggest pump changes, and the other time to go over the ultrasound results. I've gotten the same quality of treatment from doctors in Salinas too. Damn I'm glad I don't have to deal with Kaiser.
Originally Posted by sybir
I can't believe they won't talk to the issue over the phone - that's jacked.
One question; I thought true stainless (IE surgical) was also nonmagnetic.

I think there's a bigger issue with imaging around the affected areas than a pain issue, but the person doing the imaging is the person that's going to be able to talk to it best.
It's Kaiser, enough said, right?
Old 03-19-2010, 11:33 AM
Warm Fuzzy Admin

Car Info: 97 LOB, 05 FXT, 03 Tundra
Unfortunately, yes.

<- also has Kaiser.

Everything I can find on surgical implants (NOT THOSE SURGICAL IMPLANTS DAMMIT) seems to imply that a little bit of warmth is all that happens for stainless and TI, but I'd go by whatever the MRI tech says.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:43 AM
plays well with others

Car Info: your mother crazy
Originally Posted by brucelee
MRI's use such a strong magnetic field that even jail house tattoos (that use trace metals) can be ripped out of the skin and thats why Im freaked out.
Exploding Tattoos: BUSTED - the worst that will happen is some irritation, but no explosions.

you'll be fine. do you really think the doctors would put something in you if it meant that later they couldn't bill you a ****load for something esle? that's just bad business. unless your surgery was done in a 3rd world country (fresno) you'll be fine.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:45 AM

Car Info: 02 WRX Wagon
Titanium is the only metal you should have in your body as far as hardware is concerned. (not considering some gangster *** old-school solid gold tooth cavity fillings)

Originally Posted by mattej
Are you a driver too? In my line of work Drivers cant work more than 12or13 hrs a day or you violate DOT laws(department Of Transportation). Well thats if they find out, and its not your fault but your employers.
No, I'm stationary. When I need to transport someone I let AMR come pick em up.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:48 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
Originally Posted by Choku Dori
It's Kaiser, enough said, right?
But if we had socialized health care you might have to wait a while to see your doctor for any issues.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by irrational x
do you really think the doctors would put something in you if it meant that later they couldn't bill you a ****load for something esle? that's just bad business. unless your surgery was done in a 3rd world country (fresno) you'll be fine.
More than 1 out of every 4000 surgeries results in "stuff" being unintentionally left inside of patients. Doctors are people too, and some of them are stupid.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:54 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
More than 1 out of every 4000 surgeries results in "stuff" being unintentionally left inside of patients. Doctors are people too, and some of them are stupid.
But see that is from carelessness, irrational was talking about planned situations.
Old 03-19-2010, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by VRT MBasile
But see that is from carelessness, irrational was talking about planned situations.
So there is no such thing as careless planning?
Old 03-19-2010, 12:25 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
That's only a .025% failure rate, which is still a higher failure rate than self accelerating Toyotas.
Old 03-19-2010, 12:35 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
So there is no such thing as careless planning?
You're thinking of planned carelessness.

Quick Reply: How to get an MRI done with metal inside your body?