How to get an MRI done with metal inside your body?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 08:38 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
Originally Posted by Superglue WRX
It's never Lupus. Page me when the MRI comes back negative.
I don't care if you don't like the blue cou..........

It's the riboflavoiditis condulitis. The patient lied.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:45 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
The plates I have are Titanium but the screws are surgical stainless steel... I'd ask my doctor but it's going to take two weeks before I can get an appt with him and I have an MRI scheduled in 3 weeks.

Sorry if I wasn't clear in my first post, I tend to leave out details when I'm typing with one finger because it takes forever to type just a simple sentence. I figured that some of you have probably gone through something similar which is why I asked... It's better to ask someone who has gone through it than to read through unreliable info that is posted online.

My MRI is due in the second week of april, and I don't talk to my doctor till the first week of april, and if I can get an answer from someone who has gone through it and knows how to go about this then I'm much better off. (I'm actually quite nervous about this whole thing... I hate MRI's)
Old 03-18-2010, 08:49 PM

Car Info: 97' Dodge Cummins and an RSTI thingie
Originally Posted by Gancherov
Code 3, every post of yours is like a personal taunt to me. I'm currently sitting at a robotics convention, working as a standby EMT because AMR seems to NEVER be hiring. I'm on hour 14 of my shift, and so far I have handed out 2 goddamn band-aids. You have no idea how potent my secret hatred of you is.
Its not so secret anymore!

you don't want to work for the evil empire... they've owned my soul for 7 years now
Old 03-18-2010, 08:49 PM

Car Info: 2015 Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
didnt mythbusters test this
Old 03-18-2010, 08:51 PM

Car Info: 07 350Z
Yeah, like others said Titanium doesn't really interfere with MRI's. But I'm totally blanking out, I had to get a chest scan, and they said a CT Scan was the only thing I could have and not an MRI cause I have two huge stainless steels rods in my back with screws and **** so I can't go in the MRI. Not sure if that helps, but w/e. lol
Old 03-18-2010, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by JDM555
Yeah, like others said Titanium doesn't really interfere with MRI's. But I'm totally blanking out, I had to get a chest scan, and they said a CT Scan was the only thing I could have and not an MRI cause I have two huge stainless steels rods in my back with screws and **** so I can't go in the MRI. Not sure if that helps, but w/e. lol
See my above post... I have SS screws holding in the Ti plates (4 plates, 8 screws)
Old 03-18-2010, 09:54 PM

Car Info: 07 350Z
Originally Posted by brucelee
See my above post... I have SS screws holding in the Ti plates (4 plates, 8 screws)
Yeah, I read that, and was telling you, I needed an MRI done on my chest, but they couldn't put me in an MRI, so I had to do a CT Scan. Depending on what test you need for your back and what your doctor needs to see, a CT Scan may be sufficient since MRI and SS don't go together. Just trying to help.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by JDM555
Yeah, I read that, and was telling you, I needed an MRI done on my chest, but they couldn't put me in an MRI, so I had to do a CT Scan. Depending on what test you need for your back and what your doctor needs to see, a CT Scan may be sufficient since MRI and SS don't go together. Just trying to help.
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

I have some nerve damage in my thoracic spine and they use the MRI machine to get deep tissue scans of the area to see how it has changed, etc. I'm not really familiar with CT scans, but I assume that they sort of do the same thing, no? Can a CT scan get clear images of deep tissue like for example in the spine, etc?
Old 03-18-2010, 10:18 PM

Car Info: '15 LE STI, '06 WRX White Wheeled Wagon, '06 B9
now that I have about a pound of titanium in my arm (which wont ever be removed), how will I get my back scanned via MRI? I have a back issue and usually get one MRI per year... anyone?

EDIT: I have 4 titanium plates in my arm, which aren't magnetic, BUT, there are 8 (either 8 or 10) screws holding in the said plates which are magnetic.
You truly are a moron...
Old 03-18-2010, 10:24 PM

Car Info: WRX
Originally Posted by Spoolin415
i-club just gets you more attention.
and of course better advice hahahahahaha
Old 03-18-2010, 10:26 PM

Car Info: .
Originally Posted by Irish_car_B0mb
You truly are a moron...

Originally Posted by D. Fantom
and of course better advice hahahahahaha
Who's first reaction for sound advice isn't i-club?
Old 03-18-2010, 11:32 PM
VIP Member

The plates I have are Titanium but the screws are surgical stainless steel... I'd ask my doctor but it's going to take two weeks before I can get an appt with him and I have an MRI scheduled in 3 weeks.
If you're sure the screws are SS, well I should say if you aren't 100% certain they are titanium, I'd leave a message for your doctor asking if the MRI is safe or if there is an alternative imaging technique. If you're doctor wont answer that without an appointment then it is time for a new doctor. I've had my insulin pump settings tweaked via phone/email/fax (when I was first diagnosed), answering a question about imaging takes less effort. Or call the imaging center and tell them that you have SS screws and need a different technique.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by Irish_car_B0mb
You truly are a moron...
I don't understand why you're insulting me for asking a simple question? If you've ever taken an MRI, they make you fill out a questionaire and the first thing they ask you is if you have any metal jewelery or any metal replacement parts in your body since the MRI machine is just one giant magnet.

The screws that hold the titanium plates on are magnetic and am unsure if I'll still be able to take the MRI that I need. I can't get through to my doctor for a little over two weeks and my MRI is less than a week after my appt with him... If I can't take the MRI I'd like to reschedule for the alternative right now so that I can get it done before the end of april, otherwise I'll have to take care of it in may-june (I'll be in the new house in May and I don't want to drive an hour each way just to get the MRI done when I can currently get there in less than 4 mins since the hospital is just a few blocks away from my current house). If I reschedule my appt on the day that I see my doc they wont be able to get me in until may, and it'd make my life a lot easier if I could do it in April since I'll still be at my old house.

Why are you calling me an idiot?
Old 03-18-2010, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by VRT MBasile
If you're sure the screws are SS, well I should say if you aren't 100% certain they are titanium, I'd leave a message for your doctor asking if the MRI is safe or if there is an alternative imaging technique. If you're doctor wont answer that without an appointment then it is time for a new doctor. I've had my insulin pump settings tweaked via phone/email/fax (when I was first diagnosed), answering a question about imaging takes less effort. Or call the imaging center and tell them that you have SS screws and need a different technique.
I called a few days ago to schedule a phone appt with my doctor (Kaiser) to go over my concerns and they called me back telling me that the earliest phone appt is two weeks from now (since my issue wasn't considered to be a priority for them and for good reason) I know we have some doctors, EMT's, as well as people who have been in the same situation as me which is why I posted this thread...

Old 03-19-2010, 01:03 AM
VIP Member

I called a few days ago to schedule a phone appt with my doctor (Kaiser) to go over my concerns and they called me back telling me that the earliest phone appt is two weeks from now (since my issue wasn't considered to be a priority for them and for good reason) I know we have some doctors, EMT's, as well as people who have been in the same situation as me which is why I posted this thread...

WTF? Phone appointment? When I had lab work and a thyroid ultrasound at El Camino in Sunnyvale/Mountain View my doctor called me later in the day after both things. One to suggest pump changes, and the other time to go over the ultrasound results. I've gotten the same quality of treatment from doctors in Salinas too. Damn I'm glad I don't have to deal with Kaiser.

Quick Reply: How to get an MRI done with metal inside your body?