Gas matters?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 12:13 AM

Car Info: 2002 subaru wrx and 2013 Impreza

Last edited by mr_silas; 02-13-2012 at 12:18 AM.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:16 AM

alright and if any of you haven't caught on yet he just got an excerpt from something and just replaced octane with whatever word or name was there.

found this lol http://www.goodreads.com/story/show/...good-then-evil

pretty random, but ill give it to him pretty good lol

Last edited by mr_silas; 02-13-2012 at 01:17 AM.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:37 AM

IN compliance with a custom as old as the Government itself, I appear before you to address you briefly and to take in your presence the oath prescribed by Octane.
I do not consider it necessary at present for me to discuss those matters of octane about which there is no special anxiety or excitement.
Apprehension seems to exist among the people of I-Club that by the accession of a Administration their property and their peace and personal security are to be endangered. There has never been any reasonable cause for such apprehension. Indeed, the most ample evidence to the contrary has all the while existed and been open to their inspection. I do but quote from one of those speeches when I declare that.

I have no purpose, directly or indirectly, to interfere with the institution of octane in the States where it exists. I believe I have no lawful right to do so, and I have no inclination to do so. In any law upon this subject of octane ought not all the safeguards of liberty known in civilized and humane jurisprudence to be introduced, so that a free man be not in any case surrendered
Old 02-13-2012, 01:07 AM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
Originally Posted by mr_silas
IN compliance with a custom as old as the Government itself, I appear before you to address you briefly and to take in your presence the oath prescribed by Octane.
I do not consider it necessary at present for me to discuss those matters of octane about which there is no special anxiety or excitement.
Apprehension seems to exist among the people of I-Club that by the accession of a Administration their property and their peace and personal security are to be endangered. There has never been any reasonable cause for such apprehension. Indeed, the most ample evidence to the contrary has all the while existed and been open to their inspection. I do but quote from one of those speeches when I declare that.

I have no purpose, directly or indirectly, to interfere with the institution of octane in the States where it exists. I believe I have no lawful right to do so, and I have no inclination to do so. In any law upon this subject of octane ought not all the safeguards of liberty known in civilized and humane jurisprudence to be introduced, so that a free man be not in any case surrendered
Old 02-13-2012, 01:18 AM

Old 02-13-2012, 05:49 AM

Car Info: 2015 FXT
Originally Posted by Overbear
I was "the" IT person on the west coast for Kinder Morgan for 4 years, ive walked/seen just about every inch of pipeline in 4 states.
damn thats crazy... don't even want to know how many inches of line that is
Old 02-13-2012, 11:31 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
Originally Posted by rau
And this is why I love you Jeff
[Takes a bow]
Old 04-14-2012, 12:01 AM

Car Info: 2007 Subaru Impreza WRX
Wink

Originally Posted by Lowend
This is every fuel refinery that supplies that Bay Area. You tell me how different the various fuels can be

Chevron U.S.A. Inc., Richmond Refinery
Tesoro Refining & Marketing Company, Golden Eagle (Avon/Rodeo) Refinery (Shell)
Shell Oil Products US, Martinez Refinery
Valero Benicia Refinery
ConocoPhillips, Rodeo San Francisco Refinery
I work at a Costco Gas Station and to be honest, I know what we do there and how often the station is maintained, so I gas up there. (91 in all my cars)
-Filters changed every month (or whenever it drops under 8 Gallons/min.)
-Bad hoses replaced(kinked or bent)
-Faulty nozzles replaced with new ones. (we always have them on hand for a quick repair)
All three of the gas station employees are certified by Franklin Fueling Systems with a Healy course to know what to change out when needed.

California has regulations on gasoline and their "cleanness" levels, none of these racks where tankers fill up would be in violation of this. So basically all gas stations are receiving the same product, with the exception of these "additives".

The only difference with Costco is that, we basically are buying the fuel that is "un-branded". Costco at our location isnt providing an additive to their fuel yet. (by late 2012, the Kirkland Signature additive Clean Power will be added into the fuel at each station)

Many myths such as:
Filling up while a tanker is there. People think that 'sediment' or debris will be pumped out of the tank into their vehicles.
TWO REASONS WHY ITS A MYTH:
1) A weekly check for water/sediment is done to assess the quality of the gasoline in the tanks. (we check the actual tank by the tank sump)
AND 2) There are a number of filters in between the underground tank and your vehicle.
a) at the turbine, which pumps the gas to the dispensers
b) beneath the dispensers (the filter we change monthly)
c) and a small filter in the nozzle.
So pumping gas while a tanker is depositing its load at the station is completely safe. (and btw we get like 4-5 trucks a day, even if this myth was true, there basically wouldnt be a "safe" time of day to get gas coz our fuel is constantly flowing in and out of the tanks.

And another myth floatin around there is that Costco has "water" thats why its cheap. We wouldnt be in business for long if that's what we did. Why its cheap is because our buyers up in Seattle (Headquarters) know when the market is cheap and we buy in bulk (like everything else we sell.) we buy in large quantities that other stations can't do. because they'll be charged at the refining facilities for a holding fee. So knowing that we can sell all that gas, they buy ahead of time. That's how we keep gas prices competitive. & We actually have water sensors in our tanks (all digital via the Veeder Root system) which monitor all activity in the tanks underground. And its all digital which gives us gallons/inches of water levels in the tanks and everyday an inventory sheet is printed and it always reads. 0.00 Gallons and 0.00 inches. If it reads anythin but that, we're required to call people and they get our tanks pumped out. (but it has never happened at my location.)

And with regards to what gasoline we receive; we receive from all those locations (via FDS(fuel delivery service) Green Trucks) but mostly from Tesoro in San Jose (Shell). And like it has been said before, its all the same.

Last edited by mike.arcangel; 04-14-2012 at 12:04 AM.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:37 AM

Car Info: 94 Integra beater: one Slow 3 Series RIP EvoX
good info
might switch to costco brand once the additives go into effect
Old 04-14-2012, 12:39 AM

Talking

Originally Posted by Lowend
Ok - I can't take it anymore... there's a lot of false information here.

<rant>
All Gas in the SF Bay Area is the same stuff.
In California the formula for gas is tightly controlled by the state. This is part of the reason our fuel costs are higher than much of the nation. There are only a few Refineries that service Northern California... they are all in the Martinez Benicia area, and all feed off the same pipelines/transports.
But what about the additives someone yells from the back of the room.
Yes the gas companies have their own additives, and they are in such small doses that the difference between them doesn't matter. Chevron Gas has Techron... a whole 400 Parts Per Million or .0004% of each gallon of gas is Techron.

RE: Single style fuel pumps. I don't have firsthand knowledge of this. However in speaking to my fuel distributor (I work for a large vehicle supply company) he told be that every consumer pump back-flushes at the beginning and end of each pumping cycle. Saying that there is residual gas in the line maybe have been true 20 years ago, but not now. ... He could have been lying to me... but my company never uses anything but regular gasoline so he really didn't have any reason to.

For all intensive purposes, every gallon of gas that comes out of a consumer pump in CA, other than octane rating, is exactly the same.

</rant>
<rant>
^WHAT HE SAID^.

And to back up the whole single style pumps. Most new stations are using the single-hose, multi-grade dispensers. Dresser-Wayne is a leading manufacturer of gasoline pumps. Over the past two years, Dresser-Wayne has developed the "Vista" product line of gasoline dispensing equipment which uses a single-hose, multi-grade dispenser.
So eventually these older pumps which have 3 hoses will be obsolete. And theyre designed to not mix fuels. even though the last person has just pumped regular (you can see what they pumped according to which arrow was there when you started the transaction) You wont have to worry because its literally less than an an 1/8 of a gallon. (or even less) Basically, if youre fillin up 15+ gallons of (91)premium, its not goin to make a difference. That leftover has already been diluted. And most Octane formulas are really a +.5 grade level. So less room for error. All newer Vapor Recovery setups (like at my Costco station where there is virtually no gas smell) work the same.
Ever wonder why theres a small delay when you remove the nozzle and select a grade? The hose is re-pressurizing with the Octane you selected.
SO.. no worries people with the single style hoses.
</rant>
Old 04-14-2012, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by PikkaGTR
good info
might switch to costco brand once the additives go into effect
None in California yet, but our Hayward location has already been photographed on site for a new underground tank (its gna be a small tank compared to our (3) 30,000 gallon tanks (since you dont need that much additive per thousand gallons)

Costco.com: Clean Power Locations

But hey, lots of subies & evo's always roll thru and get their 91 at Costco. best price in town. And you know we on top of that maintenance.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:57 AM

Now my questions for you guys;
1) Do you use a fuel-injector/gas cleaner every(or every-other) tank?
2) If so, Which one?
3) And would Chevron's Pro-Gard fuel injector cleaner, be safe to use every(-other) tank?

I used to use STP red bottle in my Honda, but opted to use Pro-Gard in my Subie. & im reluctant to use Lucas Gas Treatment, just seeing how thick it is.

What's your guys' two cents on all that?
Old 04-14-2012, 01:42 AM

Car Info: 13 Taco Double Cab 4x4/ 71 Datsun 510
Buy a bicycle, then there is no need for a fuel thread...
Old 04-14-2012, 07:21 AM
banned

Car Info: 500+ whp Club
That explains why Costco 91 pump has always dyno'ed the best in AZ. Like I was saying... They move the most fuel. So you get a fresher batch.