Gas matters?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 11:43 AM

Car Info: 2001 Acura TL - 2016.5 Mazda CX-5
When i used to work at shell the north bay refinery was out for some reason we got our gas from the Chevron facility.
haha so the gas report was from chevron at a shell station it was the weirdest thing.

I asked the truck driver and he said "it all comes from the same place." idk if what he said is the truth but that just what he said.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:49 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by jblanco325
all gas sold in CA is standardized for the most part, thanks to the ARB. and there are only a handful of producers and the rest distribute. The only real difference are the additives that measure out to 1 part per billon...
and if you guys are really that picky most bad gas comes from when they refill the station from the trucks because it kicks up all the poop/sediments.
just saying..
Yeah. This is a well known fact. That is why California's gas is different. For some reason we feel the need to have standardized gas.

It goes even further than that. Many times the gas you purchase has actually be refined by another company... in other words chevron might just be shell gas with techron added. All gas has detergents... so shell is really not much different than valero. Etc.

But the quality standards may be more strict for some other companies as are the transfer and storage standards.

I used to be a gas snob... I was ONLY Chevron or 76. Then just 76 when I left Chevron. Now I float around but I refuse to use rotten robby and all that BS. I've heard horror stories from folks over the years mainly at the dealer level tampering to increase profits. Illegal but still done. Like water dumping and things like that.

So it's really about who you're going to trust and what additive you have faith in.

I will choose chevron/76 over most if they're within a few cents but for example Chevron in Aptos is often close to 20 cents more than safeway... I'll go to safeway. Especially when we're putting 87 in the wife's car.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:51 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by Snoopy408
When i used to work at shell the north bay refinery was out for some reason we got our gas from the Chevron facility.
haha so the gas report was from chevron at a shell station it was the weirdest thing.

I asked the truck driver and he said "it all comes from the same place." idk if what he said is the truth but that just what he said.
LOL... I was literally writing the same thing when you posted this.

A lot of companies share pipelines.

I talked to one dude that said he used to stand there and they'd have floaties. They had to basically watch the floaties and when they switched from Chevron to Shell they had to flip a switch or something along those lines.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:07 PM

Car Info: EQ tuned bugeye
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Javirex23
Chevron 91 is your friend
this is the only gas stastion i go to , i get more mpg's with 91 chevron then any where else. +1 for chevron
Old 01-31-2012, 12:12 PM

Car Info: 05 WRXie
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
Yeah. This is a well known fact. That is why California's gas is different. For some reason we feel the need to have standardized gas.

It goes even further than that. Many times the gas you purchase has actually be refined by another company... in other words chevron might just be shell gas with techron added. All gas has detergents... so shell is really not much different than valero. Etc.

But the quality standards may be more strict for some other companies as are the transfer and storage standards.

I used to be a gas snob... I was ONLY Chevron or 76. Then just 76 when I left Chevron. Now I float around but I refuse to use rotten robby and all that BS. I've heard horror stories from folks over the years mainly at the dealer level tampering to increase profits. Illegal but still done. Like water dumping and things like that.

So it's really about who you're going to trust and what additive you have faith in.

I will choose chevron/76 over most if they're within a few cents but for example Chevron in Aptos is often close to 20 cents more than safeway... I'll go to safeway. Especially when we're putting 87 in the wife's car.
yup pretty much..
Old 01-31-2012, 12:20 PM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
Stock injector rubber gaskets may wear with too much e85 I do it once in a while
Old 01-31-2012, 12:24 PM

Car Info: MY00 GC6 BRP
Ive been using 76 ever since I moved since its the closest and cheapest gas station in my area. Chevron is back up.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:39 PM

Car Info: 05 white WRX
I'm always buying safeway or Valero gas and I've never had problems. Can't beat .30 cents off every trip to Safeway
Old 01-31-2012, 12:52 PM

Car Info: 2016 WRX, 2014 lifter forester XT, 2005 JDM207 WGN
yes and no, gas is gas and it come from the same place, it's what the companies add to the gas that makes the big difference. I live next to a costco so that's what I put in the BP are also cheap so I will get them also! The car drives great and still has that fun 8200rpm redline. I think the biggest difference is the mpg's i see when driving the car, with that cheap gas i go get less mpg (on average about 2-5mpg difference from when I fill with chevron) I can get 350-370 miles on a take of cheap 91 but if i throw in come Chevron or shell i get 400-430 miles on a fill up...
Old 01-31-2012, 03:26 PM
aka FlukeWRX

Car Info: '03 WRX WRB Sedan
Whenever you fill up just avoid filling your tank when the tanker truck is there refueling the station. If I see a tanker truck at the station, I'll tend to avoid that station right then and go to another station. It seems that when they are filling up is when all the sediment and deposits from the bottom of the tanks gets kicked up and can potentially help to cause a dirtier tank of fuel for you.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:07 PM

Car Info: http://kiva.org/invitedby/brett4254
This is every fuel refinery that supplies that Bay Area. You tell me how different the various fuels can be

Chevron U.S.A. Inc., Richmond Refinery
Tesoro Refining & Marketing Company, Golden Eagle (Avon/Rodeo) Refinery (Shell)
Shell Oil Products US, Martinez Refinery
Valero Benicia Refinery
ConocoPhillips, Rodeo San Francisco Refinery
Old 01-31-2012, 07:31 PM
jic

Car Info: 98 2.5rs/94 rx7/04 mazda6/06 audi s4/12 GT-R
76 Only

chevron is just overpriced..but would be the only alternative
Old 01-31-2012, 08:08 PM

Car Info: 05' WRX (Dirty Black)
Originally Posted by Jodice112
There are no individual pumps around here
this. i don't think i've seen an individual pump per grade in like 15 years!
Old 01-31-2012, 08:09 PM

Car Info: $2000 hawkeye
Originally Posted by Javirex23
Chevron 91 is your friend
+1
I use only Chevron, sometimes Shell when there's no Chevron around
Old 01-31-2012, 08:28 PM

Car Info: 2002 BRP 2.5RS
I'll use shell and chevron. Trick to saving money is cut your 91 with some of the free water at the water/air stations they have. Big savings=win

Quick Reply: Gas matters?