Gas matters?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 05:03 AM

Car Info: '11 White Shelby Cobra GT 500
And I doubt they are putting in a full tank probably a gal or two.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:20 PM

so it will be safe to put 100 oct about 2 gallons and rest 91?
Old 02-09-2012, 01:53 PM

Car Info: Teh Subie
Up to 25% tank total of 100 octane, or 20% tank total of E85, the rest 91 octane. Effective tank octane is 93.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:31 PM

Car Info: 2015 FXT
Originally Posted by mr_silas
this might sound like a stupid question but do all gas station with in the company (ie. Chevron) use the same gas? i filled up in the G-H-E-T-T-O today downtown Sacramento along side some shady people and P.O.S. cars. I couldnt help to wonder if the stuff is the same in every Chevron lol. Anyone know?
Yes it is the same at every station... the 5 terminals in the bay area (sac, tracy, richmond, avon and san jose) are all on a proprietary pipeline from the Chevron Richmond refinery. So unless it comes from a 3rd party terminal like Kinder Morgan they will have our additive injecting into the gas from a Kinder Morgan line.

If that makes sense...
Old 02-09-2012, 02:32 PM

Car Info: 03 WRX, 06 Evo IX MR, now 2010 STi
Been pumping at Costco in Fremont for 5 years now and never had any issues with any of my cars. The only other gas I'll use is 76 and Chevron, but that's only when i'm on road trips.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:43 PM
aka FlukeWRX

Car Info: '03 WRX WRB Sedan
Originally Posted by hYpE-R-29
so wait...u guys that are tuned stage 2 on 91 are mixing 100 octane with 91?...how does the ecu adjust?
The ECU is constantly adjusting the numbers based on the driving conditions. It can compensate for numbers up to something like 96 Octane if need be. The problem becomes at a certain point you end up throwing money away as it just isn't giving you any more benefits (and could actually start to be detrimental).

Typically most people that are mixing are targeting to get around 93-94 Octane with the mix. Yes, you will be able to notice the difference. You can even notice the difference in how the car reacts even on a stock setup with a mix to increase the Octane rating above 91. It would be better if the car is properly tuned for the fuel, but think about it, when you drive to another state and start filling with 93 / 94 or whatever "Supreme" or "Ultra" Octane rating is at the fuel station you are able to run that without issues so why should mixing to get up closer to that octane be any different?
Old 02-09-2012, 08:24 PM

Car Info: Forester XTi
Originally Posted by Pearl07STI
Yes it is the same at every station... the 5 terminals in the bay area (sac, tracy, richmond, avon and san jose) are all on a proprietary pipeline from the Chevron Richmond refinery. So unless it comes from a 3rd party terminal like Kinder Morgan they will have our additive injecting into the gas from a Kinder Morgan line.

If that makes sense...
I was "the" IT person on the west coast for Kinder Morgan for 4 years, ive walked/seen just about every inch of pipeline in 4 states.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:25 PM

I am curious, how many of you even understand what octane is a rating of and how it reflects in fuel.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:54 PM

Car Info: 2002 Subaru WRX
Im pretty sure octane rating reflects the amount of energy it takes to combust the fuel/ The threshold of energy storage.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:47 AM

Car Info: 05 wrx wagon, 90 celica alltrac, 66 mustang
octanes are a type of hydrocarbon, the types found in gasoline are isooctane/heptane. An octane rating is used to tell us the fuels resistance to self ignition or detonation. The higher the octane rating the higher the fuels resistance to said detonation. Octane ratings have nothing to do with the power potential of a fuel however they do play a factor in the performance of an internal combustion engine in that higher octane fuel can be run at a higher compression ratio with out self detonation.

amidoinitright?

Last edited by queeg9k; 02-10-2012 at 08:59 AM.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:32 AM

Car Info: 2009 WRX 5dr OBP
Originally Posted by Overbear
I am curious, how many of you even understand what octane is a rating of and how it reflects in fuel.
This is a letter of love and peace; I will not lash out against anyone, and I will not use specific names of individuals or organizations that make wowserism socially acceptable. That said, let me merely point out that it is both frustrating and frightening to observe the extreme ignorance—no, idiocy—present in octane's orations. For openers, octane truly believes that superstition is no less credible than proven scientific principles. I hope you realize that that's just a namby-pamby pipe dream from a phlegmatic, mawkish pipe and that in the real world, if octane's whinges get any more meretricious, I expect they'll grow legs and attack me in my sleep. In the past, it was perfectly clear to everyone with insight and without malice that octane is adept at spinning lies. Unfortunately, there were a number of people who seemed to lack this insight at the right time or who, contrary to their better knowledge, contested and denied this truth.

Octane frequently insists that there is something intellectually provocative in the tired rehashing of officious stereotypes. This lie of its cannot stand the light of day, and a few minutes' reflection will suffice to show how utterly hotheaded a lie it is. Nonetheless, it acts as if it were King of the World. This hauteur is astonishing, staggering, and mind-boggling. Octane focuses on feelings rather than facts. Sure, it attempts to twist and distort facts to justify its feelings, but that just goes to show that octane is trying to exclude all people and proposals that oppose its predatory, obstreperous conjectures. Their mission? To promulgate partisan prejudice against others.

Octane insists that everything will be hunky-dory if we let it put the prisoners in charge of running the prison. Naturally, it gives no evidence whatsoever to support that parti pris. Perhaps that's because I know some uninformed miscreants who actually believe that lexiphanicism is the only alternative to chauvinism. Incredible? Those same people have told me that it's merely trying to make this world a better place in which to live. With such people roaming about, it should come as no surprise to you that there may be nothing we can do to prevent octane from making good on its word to twist the history, sociology, and anthropology disseminated by our mass media and in our children's textbooks. When we compare this disturbing conclusion to the comforting picture purveyed by its chums, we experience psychological stress or "cognitive dissonance". Our only recourse is to make a genuine contribution to human society. All of this once again proves the old saying that I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke octane to exploit other cultures for self-entertainment.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:48 AM

Car Info: 2016 WRX, 2014 lifter forester XT, 2005 JDM207 WGN
I run 105 everyday lol bless you e85
Old 02-10-2012, 09:56 AM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
The Prefix "Oct-" is the number 8.
The suffix "-ane" identifies the compounds or items as alkanes.
Putting two together means

Eight items or compound alkanes!!!!!
Old 02-10-2012, 10:13 AM

Car Info: 2000 Outback Sport
Originally Posted by Overbear
I wanna know how many people know the octane rating of octane.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by queeg9k
octanes are a type of hydrocarbon, the types found in gasoline are isooctane/heptane. An octane rating is used to tell us the fuels resistance to self ignition or detonation. The higher the octane rating the higher the fuels resistance to said detonation. Octane ratings have nothing to do with the power potential of a fuel however they do play a factor in the performance of an internal combustion engine in that higher octane fuel can be run at a higher compression ratio with out self detonation.

amidoinitright?
A bit long winded but yep.

Basicly, Octane speaks to how fast the flame pattern across the burn, happens. So, the higher the octane, the slower the fuel burns, the more effecently it burns, and therefor has a higher threshold to 'knock/ping' or the act of self detonation.

Oddly, diesel works the other side of this. You want diesel to compress as vapor to the point it combusts, hence why diesel motors use thicker walls and heads.

Quick Reply: Gas matters?