Do Recirc BOVs???

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 05:00 PM

Car Info: 2006 CGM WRX
Originally Posted by Jabel
Ok, DONT get a BOV unless your planning to swap to a bigger turbo and get a protune, cause the stock BoV can hold up to ~22PSi I believe and doesnt **** up the ECU.

atmospeheric BoV's can screw with your MAF and ECU by letting out to much air and make your car run lean, so try and stay away from them unless you have a setup running 20+ PSi.
they make you run rich in between shifts, not lean..thats where fireballs come from..dumping all that raw fuel into your motor is going to do bad things to it in the long run..either way your better off sticking with stock
Old 02-18-2007, 10:30 AM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
Originally Posted by Jabel
Ok, DONT get a BOV unless your planning to swap to a bigger turbo and get a protune, cause the stock BoV can hold up to ~22PSi I believe and doesnt **** up the ECU.

atmospeheric BoV's can screw with your MAF and ECU by letting out to much air and make your car run lean, so try and stay away from them unless you have a setup running 20+ PSi.

How does a blow off valve let off too much air? It's meant to release all of the excess pressure from the turbo before the intake manifold right?

How does letting out too much air make a car run lean? Less air, but same amount of fuel would make a rich mixture. This can lead to excess carbon build up in the cylinders, faster deterioration of cats, and back fires, but not running lean.

And whomever says that this kills gas mileage is wrong. You're putting the same amount of fuel in, but less air causing it to be rich. So, whether you run a recirc or an atmospheric, you're using the same amount of fuel in the mixture. People drive differently so they can hear the bov more which causes worse gas mileage.
Old 02-18-2007, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Wrx2fast4ufool
Ok thank you. I will just return it. I had one on my RX-7, I just miss it. My car runs rich, according to the dyno chart. but I rather it run rich than lean.
Running rich may be better at this point in time, but it slowly kills your engine as well. I've learned that excess fuel causes excess carbon build up, this makes a "charcoal" like substance when heated up from the engine running and can cause pits in the cylinder wall and lots of detonation.
Old 02-18-2007, 10:35 AM

Car Info: 02 Silver WRX sedan. Eibach springs, Blitz NUR cat back, Rota 17" Attacks, Cobb AccessPort/DP
Yea,...every time a jack off in a Neon revs next to me to show off his BOV I want to send an RPG up his ***...

I F'ing HATE BOV's.
Old 02-18-2007, 12:31 PM

Car Info: Sleeper Much?
Originally Posted by STi-owns-evo

How does a blow off valve let off too much air? It's meant to release all of the excess pressure from the turbo before the intake manifold right?
How can I say wrong so that everyone gets it? WRONG

It lets out air that has already been metered by the MAF thus creating a rich condition. Thats why you shoot fireballs. As far as letting air out before the intake manifold... huh? Well yes, but its more like throttle body. The bov allows pressurized air to escape before hitting the throttle plate and bouncing back to the turbo causing damage. Also known as compressor surge. See the throttle plate closes before the turbo stops producing pressure.

You guys need an edubacation in turbo systems.
Old 02-18-2007, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by SSFWRX
How can I say wrong so that everyone gets it? WRONG

It lets out air that has already been metered by the MAF thus creating a rich condition. Thats why you shoot fireballs. As far as letting air out before the intake manifold... huh? Well yes, but its more like throttle body. The bov allows pressurized air to escape before hitting the throttle plate and bouncing back to the turbo causing damage. Also known as compressor surge. See the throttle plate closes before the turbo stops producing pressure.

You guys need an edubacation in turbo systems.
meant throttle body instead of intake manifold.... almost the same thing...
Old 02-18-2007, 01:00 PM

Car Info: Sleeper Much?
^^ no harm done...just trying to clear up any mis-information so people dont make mistakes, or get caught in conversation and get embarassed.