Dear customers - Drop Dead! Love, ATT

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 03:08 PM
plays well with others

Car Info: your mother crazy
Originally Posted by Bouncer
^^ Just make damned well sure you enjoy the work before you go too far down the path.. Just because something pays doesn't mean it isn't tedious, thankless, high pressure, and otherwise incredibly boring..
This is for fun man! I don't need a CCNA for work but my PMI courses were canceled due to low enrollment so I have to do something for the next 6 months.

Plus, I'd rather showoff a CCNA cert# than the A+ and Net+.... actually im pretty sure I let those lapse....
Old 03-14-2011, 03:19 PM

Car Info: 2011 STi Sedan Plasma Blue
Originally Posted by irrational x
This is for fun man! I don't need a CCNA for work but my PMI courses were canceled due to low enrollment so I have to do something for the next 6 months.

Plus, I'd rather showoff a CCNA cert# than the A+ and Net+.... actually im pretty sure I let those lapse....
I can tell you having Cisco and Juniper under your belt will get you alot of jobs, but ya CCNA does help alot more over A+

I get job offer couple times of month when I am already working full time becuase of having Cisco and Juniper The places that look for that are like Yahoo and Google. They run Cisco with Juniper firewalls.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:22 PM

Car Info: 2011 STi Sedan Plasma Blue
here is a job example:

http://www.google.com/intl/en/jobs/u...iew/index.html
Old 03-14-2011, 03:34 PM

Car Info: Forester XTi
I am done with the home network, its just basic...

1)Sonicwall 2040pro
2)dell 24 port 10/100/1000 managed switch
3)Shuttle box with win serv 2003
4)Raid box 8 drives 12+tb raid 6

That supports 3 gaming machines, 2 tivo, one Media center, 3 gaming laptops, 2 linux laptops, and 1 non gaming "guest" machine.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:36 PM

Car Info: Forester XTi
Originally Posted by Bouncer
^^ Just make damned well sure you enjoy the work before you go too far down the path.. Just because something pays doesn't mean it isn't tedious, thankless, high pressure, and otherwise incredibly boring..
100000000000000000000000000000000000% agree here. Got a buddie that got his CCNE(CCNA?) the big one that is top level. Anyways he HATES the work now, and has only been doing it for 10 years. Cant stand the stress and the long hours even thou he is only really working 20-30 hours a week if you figure things out, but its normaly all at once non stop with no break.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:37 PM

Car Info: 7 Series "Sport"
Originally Posted by YFZ450Lynx
That also requires BA/BS AND 5 years serious experience reqd.

certs are on top of..

Originally Posted by Overbear
100000000000000000000000000000000000% agree here. Got a buddie that got his CCNE(CCNA?) the big one that is top level. Anyways he HATES the work now, and has only been doing it for 10 years. Cant stand the stress and the long hours even thou he is only really working 20-30 hours a week if you figure things out, but its normaly all at once non stop with no break.
Staring at a putty session hammering away for hours on end is fun at the beginning when you actually start making things work for the first time... Multiply that by a decade and it can get old..

!! BUT.. There are folks that can do it and love it.. I'm not one of them..

Last edited by Bouncer; 03-14-2011 at 03:41 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:54 PM
plays well with others

Originally Posted by YFZ450Lynx
I can tell you having Cisco and Juniper under your belt will get you alot of jobs, but ya CCNA does help alot more over A+

I get job offer couple times of month when I am already working full time becuase of having Cisco and Juniper The places that look for that are like Yahoo and Google. They run Cisco with Juniper firewalls.
trust me... its not an issue
Old 03-14-2011, 04:01 PM
plays well with others

Originally Posted by Overbear
I am done with the home network, its just basic...

1)Sonicwall 2040pro
2)dell 24 port 10/100/1000 managed switch
3)Shuttle box with win serv 2003
4)Raid box 8 drives 12+tb raid 6

That supports 3 gaming machines, 2 tivo, one Media center, 3 gaming laptops, 2 linux laptops, and 1 non gaming "guest" machine.
Home network used to support a lot more than it does now that the roommate moved it. Now its Two TV's, two BluRay Players, 360, NAS, and two computers.

All the wireless devices are Running off an airport extreme and two airport expresses that act as audio endpoints for streaming and as wifi repeaters.

more than half the drops i pulled get no usage at all now... whatever, i could always take two of the cat6 and convert em into HDMI and do a distribution unit in the closet... but why bother?
Old 03-14-2011, 04:04 PM

Car Info: '11 SWP WRX 5-Spd Hatch
Originally Posted by 04caliwrx
Because you run fiber for at&t? I think I know what I'm talking about...
Not trying to start an argument with you, but please check your facts before stating them. I don't need to run wire for AT&T to know what's true or false. AT&T doesn't have 100% fiber to the house in any residence in the bay area. Despite the fact that they've been rolling out fiber in the peninsula to expand their Uverse service, that doesn't mean houses in the area are getting full fiber to the house. They're still using plain old copper from the curb to get their service over.

If you're talking about Sacramento, then that's a whole different story. Many residences in Sac have been getting FTTH/FTTC for around 10 years already, so I wouldn't be surprise if they've switched to full fiber by now. Although, I'm still highly doubtful about that because fiber isn't the most cost effective solution for home networking.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:45 PM

Car Info: 2016 WRX, 2014 lifter forester XT, 2005 JDM207 WGN
Originally Posted by narstune
Not trying to start an argument with you, but please check your facts before stating them. I don't need to run wire for AT&T to know what's true or false. AT&T doesn't have 100% fiber to the house in any residence in the bay area. Despite the fact that they've been rolling out fiber in the peninsula to expand their Uverse service, that doesn't mean houses in the area are getting full fiber to the house. They're still using plain old copper from the curb to get their service over.

If you're talking about Sacramento, then that's a whole different story. Many residences in Sac have been getting FTTH/FTTC for around 10 years already, so I wouldn't be surprise if they've switched to full fiber by now. Although, I'm still highly doubtful about that because fiber isn't the most cost effective solution for home networking.
The thing is I do know what I'm talking about. and I know many new condo's running %100 fiber to the home. and houses that are 5 or so years running on it.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:21 PM

Car Info: '11 SWP WRX 5-Spd Hatch
^ I'm not saying I don't believe you, but I find it very odd that AT&T is using fiber all the way through. Two of my brothers bought brand new houses in Daly City and in San Bruno (Skyline College), yet both of their houses are running copper from the curb. If you could provide some pictures of the said setup then perhaps I could inform the professors at my Network Engineering program about how they're spreading outdated information to their students.

Edit: I had former classmates who ran wire for AT&T Uverse via contractor, and they shared the same stories with actual AT&T Prem Techs that I've chatted with. None of them claimed that AT&T is running full fiber to the house. It has always been copper from the curb. Perhaps they were just making that up as well.

Last edited by narstune; 03-14-2011 at 05:25 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:42 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
I have 100% winning to the house, so you all can suck it
Old 03-14-2011, 06:02 PM

Car Info: 2016 WRX, 2014 lifter forester XT, 2005 JDM207 WGN
Originally Posted by narstune
^ I'm not saying I don't believe you, but I find it very odd that AT&T is using fiber all the way through. Two of my brothers bought brand new houses in Daly City and in San Bruno (Skyline College), yet both of their houses are running copper from the curb. If you could provide some pictures of the said setup then perhaps I could inform the professors at my Network Engineering program about how they're spreading outdated information to their students.

Edit: I had former classmates who ran wire for AT&T Uverse via contractor, and they shared the same stories with actual AT&T Prem Techs that I've chatted with. None of them claimed that AT&T is running full fiber to the house. It has always been copper from the curb. Perhaps they were just making that up as well.
Like I said not all houses will have fiber to the house I would say less then %5 are fiber to the home. AT&T will pay and supply the wires to the curb. It's up to the contractor or home owner to take the fiber optic into the house/condo. and $200 feet of copper does nothing to servicwe or signal quality. Take bay meadows apartments in san mateo. the builter spent the moner and ran the fiber in the building for the people that rent/ own them. I guess when you pay $2000 for a 1 bed u get what you pay for. But maybe I don't know what I'm talking about and could be making it up also....
Old 03-14-2011, 06:21 PM

Car Info: 2006 WRX TR
I wish I could have those caps. I'm stuck with Hughes Net where I pay $120 a month for garbage. 1.5 D and 0.5 U with a 1200-1500ms ping. Also I only get 450 mb a day. So I can only download and watch videos from 11pm - 4am.

In July my contract expires so I'm switching to AirCloud but I'll still be limited to 100 gb/month. At least I won't have these ridiculous ping times that I have now.

I miss comcast.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:22 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: nonplussed
Originally Posted by stupidchicken03
Pics or shens
Not sure what this is going to prove, but here you go. Fiber to my house. Suck it.
Attached Thumbnails Dear customers - Drop Dead! Love, ATT-imag0124.jpg  

Quick Reply: Dear customers - Drop Dead! Love, ATT