Dear customers - Drop Dead! Love, ATT

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 09:45 AM

Car Info: 7 Series "Sport"
Originally Posted by Overbear
what I find really funny is, most DSL is obsolete, its being phased out slowly because of cable/fiber/wireless.

The other "funny" thing is the fact that DSL by its nature is limited in bandwith in the first place. Its absulute bull**** that AT&T is claiming "some users are using up our badnwith" no...that NOT how DSL works, sorry.
Actually you're wrong.. While you as an individual subscriber are not sharing bandwidth directly with your neighbors - you are occupying some amount of bandwidth on AT&T's network.. Connections are sized based off of forecasted load.. If you think AT&T or ANY DSL provider maintains enough idle connection for 100% of their users to pull 100% of their max allotted bandwidth you fail at economics.. CO's don't have unlimited speed connections to the network.. Just sized up high enough that you probably wont see slow downs as you do on cable during fap hours as the data/subscribers are more centralized/dense therefore higher speed lines are used that statistically have a higher chance of having some amount of bandwidth left..

Also - DSL isn't going anywhere.. The amount of copper infrastructure in place dictates that.. For most customers - fiber is just being used to extend CO's for better DSL coverage..

Edit: and you cant use a technology as old as dsl to claim it will be their death (cable).. Wireless will always be limited by its nature.. And AT&T has marketed Uverse as being fiber driven - but that is only to the CO.. Still DSL to your house.

Last edited by Bouncer; 03-14-2011 at 09:49 AM.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:52 AM
BanHammer™

Car Info: 2001 Forester RS2 SPEC-F
Originally Posted by Bouncer
Actually you're wrong.. While you as an individual subscriber are not sharing bandwidth directly with your neighbors - you are occupying some amount of bandwidth on AT&T's network.. Connections are sized based off of forecasted load.. If you think AT&T or ANY DSL provider maintains enough idle connection for 100% of their users to pull 100% of their max allotted bandwidth you fail at economics.. CO's don't have unlimited speed connections to the network.. Just sized up high enough that you probably wont see slow downs as you do on cable during fap hours as the data/subscribers are more centralized/dense therefore higher speed lines are used that statistically have a higher chance of having some amount of bandwidth left..

Also - DSL isn't going anywhere.. The amount of copper infrastructure in place dictates that.. For most customers - fiber is just being used to extend CO's for better DSL coverage..

Edit: and you cant use a technology as old as dsl to claim it will be their death (cable).. Wireless will always be limited by its nature.. And AT&T has marketed Uverse as being fiber driven - but that is only to the CO.. Still DSL to your house.
the problem is the terminology that Comcast throws around is that you are affecting your local node when you use that much bandwidth and "stealing fun from your neighbors" in doing so.

with DSL, you are just robbing everyone, not just your next door neighbor.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:04 AM

Car Info: 2016 WRX, 2014 lifter forester XT, 2005 JDM207 WGN

In places that the city lets AT&T run fiber to the house it's %100 firber optic cable. San Bruno, San Mateo, and Daly City are just some of the places that are %100 fiber optic.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:08 AM

Also - for reference.. a 250 gp "cap" is about 156 hours of Netflix's highest quality HD streaming. roughly 40 hours a week of HD..

And it's only an additional $10 for 50gb..

I live on netflix and piracy.. I've only rubbed the cap a couple times on comcast.. It's not that big of a deal.. - And it DOES come down to economics as the highest couple percent of users do consume a majority of the bandwidth / require providers to purchase more bandwidth to keep the user experience up.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:50 AM

Car Info: '11 SWP WRX 5-Spd Hatch
Originally Posted by 04caliwrx
In places that the city lets AT&T run fiber to the house it's %100 firber optic cable. San Bruno, San Mateo, and Daly City are just some of the places that are %100 fiber optic.
This is false. No one has 100% fiber optic to the house anywhere in the Bay Area. It's fiber to the curb and copper to the house. Look at your MPOE and see if you have a fiber optic receiver installed.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:07 AM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
Originally Posted by Overbear
Yep, I ended up getting warnings twice, and had to switch up to Bis class (no caps)
How much is Bis Class per month?
Old 03-14-2011, 11:12 AM

Car Info: 2008 Forester XT Sports
Originally Posted by narstune
This is false. No one has 100% fiber optic to the house anywhere in the Bay Area. It's fiber to the curb and copper to the house. Look at your MPOE and see if you have a fiber optic receiver installed.
Whether you know it or not, AT&T has had a 'fiber to the curb' project in place since the early 90's. the big bandwidth eaters are up to the next level of DSLAM equipment. Granted not EVERY house is wired to the curb, using LightSpeed ADSL equipment and some other new ones, its closer then you think...
Old 03-14-2011, 11:15 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
Wow, AT&T likes that 2% stat for how many customers will be impacted, somehow that was how many customers used too much cellular data as well.

Really AT&T, you don't make enough money from the other 98% of your customers to balance out with that remaining 2%?
Old 03-14-2011, 11:17 AM

For fiber to the house See Surewest in the sac area..Fiber is terminated at the MPOE..

AT&T calls it FTTP.. Its close - but not quite at the MPOE.. Not that it really matters..
Old 03-14-2011, 11:36 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: nonplussed
For fiber to the house See Surewest in the sac area..Fiber is terminated at the MPOE..

AT&T calls it FTTP.. Its close - but not quite at the MPOE.. Not that it really matters..
I have fiber up to my house.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:37 AM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
Originally Posted by ryball
Pics or shens
Old 03-14-2011, 11:41 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: nonplussed
Originally Posted by stupidchicken03
Pics or shens
I'll snap a pic when I get home.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:09 PM
plays well with others

Car Info: your mother crazy
Originally Posted by ryball
i had fiber up to my old house. current one has fiber to the front yard, a full 12 feet from the house.

ATT offered to bring the fiber all the way to the house for a nominal charge or $5,000. i passed.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:09 PM

Car Info: http://kiva.org/invitedby/brett4254
I might be done with AT&T - I'm paying for 12mbs and last night did a speed test at barely 3...
It's been acting goofy for awhile.
anyone using
http://www.sonic.net/solutions/home/ ??
Old 03-14-2011, 12:15 PM
plays well with others

Car Info: your mother crazy
Originally Posted by Lowend
I might be done with AT&T - I'm paying for 12mbs and last night did a speed test at barely 3...
It's been acting goofy for awhile.
anyone using
http://www.sonic.net/solutions/home/ ??
find a tool that will let you see packet loss (pathping can do it, but its not the best) and run some tests.

you will immediately switch off of ATT.

Quick Reply: Dear customers - Drop Dead! Love, ATT