Crazy Subie build............ Carbon Subie

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 04:19 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
the gaps look good so its hard to get that right when the CF shrinks which makes me think your metal idea sounds pretty good
banned

Car Info: heel'n toe da hoe...
Originally Posted by sigma pi
how much does CF shrink after its done?

i didnt look too much at the pic s

It doesnt. Its get that shrinked looks from vacume bagging. Which is the correct way to make it. I am also sure if its been bagged its been autoclaved.
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Originally Posted by I<3subie
I guess WRC does it for looks too. That should keep those EVO's in check.

WRC the new HIN.

Yes there is a reduction in weight. I have only test fitted the front pieces over the last week. to check for tire and suspension clearances. Its about 2/3 lighter then oem. You only gain weight on 1/4 panels as you are adding pieces to the car. I'm waiting on doors and dsus fastners before I install mine. I'm not molding or gluing my 1/4 panels on. I'm not sure on painting the car. It might or I might just drive it around a bit till I get tired of it then paint it... I already have the WRB in aircraft paint. Yes because even paint weighs allot. Bet you didnt think about that till now.
I have front bumper, fenders, 1/4 panels, rear bumper. I have my own hood, trunk,spolier and roof. I'm needing doors and looking for the lightest ones before buying.

Hell my carbon trunk - carbon wing is half the weight on the OEM unit and is a hell of allot stiffer across the wing.

As far as me "jocking" I am pointing out that a nice car has been put into a mag. And that allot of work has been put into this car. I'm also not trying to be a dick. But.. remeber .... There is allot of hard work into HIS taste. That should not be discounted from Your "new age chrome" thinking.
1) WRC stuff is great Look at my car...
2) WRC = HIN? Are you sure??
3) I never said it was the new chrome
4) Chrome is dope mang!

yee yee!
Old 01-09-2009, 04:22 PM
banned

the gaps look good so its hard to get that right when the CF shrinks which makes me think your metal idea sounds pretty good
Thats why this kit cost so much. Its hand made and fits the best I have ever seen. Which is why I bought mine and not cheap knock off's. That price was not shipped.

I figured with all you guys being around subaru so long you have seen or heard of Laun'sport. They make allot of wrc stuff for wrc.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:25 PM
9 to 5 mod

MOST carbon fiber parts are not really carbon fiber. They are actually made of fiberglass. The manufacturer will build a part out of fiberglass and then lay a sheet of carbon fibers over the fiberglass. They then use a resin (similar to what's used on the fiberglass) to bond the fibers. So basically you are buying a fiberglass hood, which is actually heavier because there is now a layer of carbon fiber on top of the fiberglass.

http://www.hondaclub.com/forum/artic...bon-fiber.html
Old 01-09-2009, 04:27 PM
9 to 5 mod

I can tell you my carbon trunk savedme from a broken back. Now I only have 3 bad discs. two in my neck and one in my back.
My trunk bowed in 19inches feet pulling the trunk floor and latch with it before it snaped the latch and sprung back. Hell its still on my car.

Both Doc and estimator were shocked at how it took a 55mph hit for a stand still and did as little damage to me. My drivers seat broke in two places.

Its more then just looks. It about doing what you can afford. GST just went wide on their L. Before hand it looks a bit 70's toyota...

Weight and crash protection.

But I'm not here to argue.. Just dont discount the car. Lots of hard work andmoney has gone into it. And he as well as I use ours for more then HIN.
i thoguht CF shatters instead of bending

Carbon does not bend much, it shatters like glass. That's why Indy cars blow into tiny little pieces
Old 01-09-2009, 04:33 PM
Old School

MOST carbon fiber parts are not really carbon fiber. They are actually made of fiberglass. The manufacturer will build a part out of fiberglass and then lay a sheet of carbon fibers over the fiberglass. They then use a resin (similar to what's used on the fiberglass) to bond the fibers. So basically you are buying a fiberglass hood, which is actually heavier because there is now a layer of carbon fiber on top of the fiberglass.

This is the case with much of what's out there, but not the case with specialty stuff.

I'm not convinced that the Launsport stuff was dry carbon, just seemed too cheap of a price for it all be dry carbon. I believe it's wet carbon, just not with the fiberglass backed stuff. I'm really not sold that it's a prepreg CF piece of work. It may be vacuumed, but I highly doubt at the prices it been sold for that it's prepreg CF.

One reason I decided to go fiberglass on my fenders, just pay less, get the space I needed. I'm not going for perfection, I'm looking for function. I also wasn't looking for weight reduction, I'm smarter than that.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:33 PM
banned

oh...god..
Dude.. I have a grip of carbon backround. I have been dealing with it for over 10 years. Hell I have BST carbon wheels on one of my carbon fiber clad motorcycles.

Comon ... We are going the wrong way now. Please explan my crash then? Why didnt it shatter? You can come take a look at it if you like. Still the same trunk,wing. You can see the clear coat cracks when you look close. You can also see the inside carbon spars that cracked and broke.

Why dont my carbon motorcycle wheels shatter when I hit a pothole? Why dont helicopters fall out of the sky with carbon rotor blades?
Carbon acts on two things. How is made. and Load paths...
Old 01-09-2009, 04:34 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
I should rekindle my relationship with the guys that made the CF hoods I was working with for my civic. SO much sicker than what's out there for subarus right now.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:35 PM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: WRX, EVO, MSP3
What exactly does Laun'sport make for WRC? They make WRC replica paneling and such but not anything that I have ever heard or seen ran on a WRC car, certainly not a Subaru.

Mike
Old 01-09-2009, 04:36 PM
9 to 5 mod

Thats why this kit cost so much. Its hand made and fits the best I have ever seen. Which is why I bought mine and not cheap knock off's. That price was not shipped.

I figured with all you guys being around subaru so long you have seen or heard of Laun'sport. They make allot of wrc stuff for wrc.
yes we have heard of launsport in japan

they sell full replica cars

i thought prodrive did thier own thing to the body not launsport
Old 01-09-2009, 04:36 PM
Old School

Originally Posted by OneManArmy
I should rekindle my relationship with the guys that made the CF hoods I was working with for my civic. SO much sicker than what's out there for subarus right now.
Yeah, I wasn't happy with the fiberglass/cf hoods out there. They were heavier than OE aluminum by over 7 lbs!
Old 01-09-2009, 04:37 PM
banned

You are right on 98% out there is in fact made that way.

But .... Laun'sport stuff is not. You'll see my car when its done.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:38 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
oh...god..
Dude.. I have a grip of carbon backround. I have been dealing with it for over 10 years. Hell I have BST carbon wheels on one of my carbon fiber clad motorcycles.

Comon ... We are going the wrong way now. Please explan my crash then? Why didnt it shatter? You can come take a look at it if you like. Still the same trunk,wing. You can see the clear coat cracks when you look close. You can also see the inside carbon spars that cracked and broke.

Why dont my carbon motorcycle wheels shatter when I hit a pothole? Why dont helicopters fall out of the sky with carbon rotor blades?
Carbon acts on two things. How is made. and Load paths...
I quoted you cause I'm agreeing... My cousins ex rolled totalled his type R. The CF hood was damn near perfect. I've seen cars roll and the hoods come out just fine. They use carbon fiber to reinforce skyscrapers. If it was that bridle why would they do that?

Hell the hoods I was working with for civics had buckle zones in them like stock hoods so in a collision your hood doesn't smash through your windshield or prevent your cars built in safety features from protecting you.

F1 cars explode because they are DESIGNED to do that to take as much force as possible from the driver.

Other cars run CF chassis that are stiff as hell and don't "explode" on contact.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:38 PM
Old School

Originally Posted by GST Motorsports
What exactly does Laun'sport make for WRC? They make WRC replica paneling and such but not anything that I have ever heard or seen ran on a WRC car, certainly not a Subaru.

Mike
They don't OE for anyone that I know of. You don't see their stickers on any WRC cars. They do make many many WRC replica parts, and charge a LOT for it.

Subarus in WRC have metal body parts if memory serves me right, but you know how getting older is.

Quick Reply: Crazy Subie build............ Carbon Subie