Cheaper ECU flash?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2003, 10:51 AM

Originally posted by christoph1371
What we offer 1. a dyno tune an ECUtek or 2. Two hours of street tuning with it.

chris
i-speedusa.com
$=?
--bobby
Old 02-07-2003, 11:01 AM

Car Info: White '03 WRX Sedan Manual
Yeah, how much, i-speed? And what's the horse power and torque gain?
Old 02-07-2003, 07:48 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '02
Originally posted by bemani
At least make it $750 with tax included
I didn't think that you could charge tax on services performed? Since you dont actually get anything then why would tax be included.
Old 02-07-2003, 08:04 PM

Car Info: White '03 WRX Sedan Manual
Chris,

So the flash is 750 which includes a 2 hour street tuning right? What's the out the door price after tax and everything? If later on I fail the smog test and decide that I want to reflash the stock map, do I again have to pay another 750? What's your location, the address to be exact so that I can physically talk to you.

Thanks

Alan
Old 02-07-2003, 08:06 PM
Dork

Car Info: 2005 STi, 2005 OXT
Hello,

Slack, yeah, that bothers me. Sales tax on a service?

But then again, back when I was in school and too poor to buy skiis, I rented them. There was always "sales" tax on rentals, too.

Any accountants or economics folks wanna 'splain that stuff?

Joel
Old 02-07-2003, 08:44 PM
VIP Member

Retail sales of tangible personal property in California are generally subject to sales tax. Examples of tangible personal property include such items as furniture, giftware, toys, antiques, clothing, and so forth. In addition, some service and labor costs are subject to sales tax if they result in the creation of tangible personal property.

I don't think that reflashing the ecu ever creates a tangible product.
Old 02-07-2003, 09:04 PM
VIP Member

So the tax is for the ECUTek license, correct? Sounds fine to me, I just didn't want to be paying tax on something if I didn't have to. Especially when it's
tax on $750

Last edited by Slack; 02-07-2003 at 09:16 PM.
Old 02-07-2003, 09:06 PM
Dork

Car Info: 2005 STi, 2005 OXT
We provide a complementary service (street or dyno tune) with your first flash.
Hello,

Hahaha... Chris, somehow, I feel like maybe, just maybe, that sounds so altruistic that I'm shocked and amazed that every single ECUtek vendor feels the same charitable way. Must be time to buy a lotto ticket - all the ECUtek vendors give a free street or dyno tune with the sale of a license... Next thing you know, money will start growing on trees.

I'm just giving you crap for the fun of it. I don't mind paying taxes. I just think sometimes they're somewhat arbitrary. What's the "widget" involved in a ski rental? What good is created? Sales tax on the decreased value of the ski (good destroyed?) since when I rent demo skis sometimes I don't mind when there are patches of rocks sticking through the snow?

Joel

PS, you ever gonna get back to me?
Old 02-09-2003, 10:03 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2016 Acura RDX ... meh. Um, nice subwoofer?
You will be hard pressed to find the flash for less than $750.
Yoshio does a custom tune of the stock ECU for $700 ... Canadian !!!

That's about USD$455 and that's not for some "shelf" flash but a custom tune.

This knowledge comes from a friend who lives in Canada and has had the tune done to his very own WRX.

jason
Old 02-09-2003, 10:49 PM
@Stoptech

Car Info: 2002 WRX Wagon
Once a license is used (sold to a customer, the ‘first flash’) that ECU/customer can go back to his perspective ECUtek dealer and get a re-flash without having to pay the initial license fee. What the customer does pay, for the second or third or fourth flash, is entirely up to the tuner.

The license IS a tangible product.

We do have a business (Licenses and all) and have to abide by certain laws. One of them is sales tax. When we sell a "widget" (not a consumable or service like labor) we must show the govt. that 1. We sold something. 2. We will happily give the govt. their fair share of our hard earned money…i.e TAX. So, unfortunately, yes there is tax on the $750 ECUtek flash.
We provide a complementary service (street or dyno tune) with your first flash.
Any additional flash thereafter is a labor charge (a tuning fee) and thus it is NOT taxed.
Did that clear anything up?

chris
There is still no product involved. An ECU reflash consists of the tuner attaching a cable to the stock ECU and electronically changing the "hard drive" of the stock ECU. That is a service because no tangible product has changed hands.

If ECUtek is claiming that what they are providing is a product rather than a service, then technically they are selling an actual license to the consumer, without which they could not legally have their ECU reflashed by ECUtek.

This still seems iffy because no tangible product has changed hands unless there is an actual paper certificate that is given to the consumer. The only reason I'm typing all of this iss because I want to know why a massage to my body, which is a service, cannot be taxed while a "massage" to my car, which is apparently a tangible product of some sort, can be taxed. Where does the government draw the line?

One last thought: This is basically ECUtek's way of charging for their product and recovering the costs of research and development. So, assuming this pricing structure is ECUteks plan, how much of the actual cost to the consumer does ECUtek see? Also, does the tuner pay a one time fee to purchase the reflashing equipment, or are they also expected to keep record of every ECU they reflash and pay per ECU? How is this enforced?
Old 02-09-2003, 11:10 PM

Car Info: 09 E90 M3 SEDAN w/DCT
Originally posted by Steppin Razor
Also, does the tuner pay a one time fee to purchase the reflashing equipment, or are they also expected to keep record of every ECU they reflash and pay per ECU? How is this enforced?
They have some kind of encryption that is used that is stored in the tuning PC. Oh, it burns EPROMS...not hard drives...

Anyways, the license allows the tuner to flash the ECU that is licensed. Once the ECU is cracked via the license, then it is open to be tuned forever...I am sure that it burns a serial # into the eprom as well.

Bill, help me out here... I am drowning...

Anyways, ECUTEK is good stuff. I had my car done tonight, it rips, and still has to be massaged more, but dude...this thing is a rocket ship!

Andy
Old 02-09-2003, 11:12 PM

Car Info: 09 E90 M3 SEDAN w/DCT
Originally posted by mmboost
Yoshio does a custom tune of the stock ECU for $700 ... Canadian !!!

That's about USD$455 and that's not for some "shelf" flash but a custom tune.

This knowledge comes from a friend who lives in Canada and has had the tune done to his very own WRX.

jason
Yoshio is using TECHTOM...a totally different method...not nearly as precise as the ECUTEK...

Quick Reply: Cheaper ECU flash?