Burning through oil?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by aboothman
There is a lot of misinformation in this post, so I will focus on the basics.

Switching to a proven, quality oil is probably the BEST way to protect your engine...other than by maintain the proper oil level.

An STI with ANY number of miles will burn oil, especially light grade oils, and especially if you are hard on the gas. It is called blow-by, and our cars can get a lot of it. Look it up.

Mobile 1 sheering and increased consumption has been documented with A ****LOAD of UOA (Used Oil Analysis). It has repeatedly been show to sheer and burn off well before 3k miles. In my engine, which still has AWESOME vacuum at idle after 60k (a sign of an excellent ring seal, good engine health, and great future engine life), it is the ONLY oil that I have had to add to between oil changes. For reference I have used Royal Purple 5w30, AmsOil 5w30 and 5w40 Euro, Redline 5w30 and 10w30, Shell Rotella 5w40, and of course Mobile 1 5w30.

In other words, don't go telling the guy that his motor is probably **** just because YOU have no burnt any oil with Mobile 1.
No offense dude but I think some people will back me up here, that regardless of it being mobil 1 or royal purp, if is having to add oil often that is a sign about his motor. The sti motor doesn't just burn oil for no reason, it does it because the rings and whatever else are not in good shape, it's not just a "normal" thing. Maybe if you have a beaten to **** sti it is. Saying I shouldn't tell a guy that has a turbo charged engine that is now eating oil, not to mention the 07's had questionable tunes on many..............seems pretty evident to me. How long it will last, who knows?
But yea I tracked my old sti 3 times, drove the **** out of it and I never regularly burnt oil, but just nearly 50k on it. Also Used mobil 1 in my 04 wrx after 10k, and never had any issue with that although I only had it for about 25k total. My 06 sti w green etc. doesn't burn any oil???

so yea burning a lot of oil on a low mileage motor= not good sign of motor.

I just get tired of people saying oh mobil 1 this and synthetic that and how it gives you leaks and causes problems when infact it just exposes the real issue, and lubricates better in the mean time.

I'd really be interested to see mobil 1 vs. other oil's and it burning off before 3k, honestly I'd like to see the data.

my whole point was the guy should have his motor checked out, a some what cheap thing to have done, what should I have said, no your car is fine don't even worry about it or do anything besides speculate?

Last edited by slow04wrx; 07-20-2009 at 06:55 PM.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:12 PM

Car Info: Fast
Well I guess all of the UOAs (hundreds of them) stating that Mobile 1 5w30 sheers down to a 20 weight do not mean ****.

I guess the fact that HUNDREDS of Subie owners have had the exact same results as me do not mean **** either.

How many people on THIS THREAD have stated that they had consumption with Mobile 1 5w30 but not with ANY other oil?

Drop the Mobile 1 fanboi **** already, and pay attention to the FACTS. Subie motors can have a large amount of blow-by, even the ones that are in great shape.

BTW I did not say he should not have his engine checked out as a precaution. I said that telling the guy that his engine is shot is unnecessary when it is just as likely an oil viscosity issue, or something else.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:52 PM

Car Info: '11 White Shelby Cobra GT 500
Thats true

Originally Posted by downsti
you know how i like to drive my car Jen

i have to constantly make sure the spark plug is on point,

my other friends are even crazier, they change spark plug when ever they dump lead race gas to their car,
Old 07-21-2009, 09:53 PM
the artist formerly known as mcdrama

Car Info: WRBP 2015 WRX Premium/CVT
y'all need to get some gold bond for your junk. its like a tick-tack for the nut-sack.

viscosity is important in oil.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:09 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX
If your oil reads "L" on the dipstick, does this mean that it is low in such a way that it is damaging to the engine, or that you're at the lowest you can go BEFORE it becomes dangerous?
Old 07-22-2009, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by aboothman
Well I guess all of the UOAs (hundreds of them) stating that Mobile 1 5w30 sheers down to a 20 weight do not mean ****.

I guess the fact that HUNDREDS of Subie owners have had the exact same results as me do not mean **** either.

How many people on THIS THREAD have stated that they had consumption with Mobile 1 5w30 but not with ANY other oil?

Drop the Mobile 1 fanboi **** already, and pay attention to the FACTS. Subie motors can have a large amount of blow-by, even the ones that are in great shape.

BTW I did not say he should not have his engine checked out as a precaution. I said that telling the guy that his engine is shot is unnecessary when it is just as likely an oil viscosity issue, or something else.
Actually I didn't hop on the mobil 1 bandwagon i've been running it for 8 years, depending on the vehicle. PLEASE provide some evidence of the uoa's with comparisons of mobil 1 vs. others???
All I found were the ones provided by amsoil, and it was the heat sheering showing mobil 1 syn right along in the top 3 or 4, none being a huge margin apart.

Also before I told him "Switching to different oil is basically ignoring/hiding the problem. Hate to be negative, and many are ok but there are a lot of 07 sti that the factory tune doesn't suffice on and the motors don't last. Might want to get your car checked out.

not norm for sti with 24k to be constantly burning oil."

Not that his motor was DEFINITELY messed.

I'm glad that im a fanboy and you are not. I'm pretty sure i've logged more miles in an sti than you have, and um have you ever used mobil 1 on an sti? Cause I have. I've owned 4 subarus of my own and my pops has 1 my bro had a wrx, making 6 of the family. I'm not saying that makes me an expert, but I'd sure like to know what you've had experience with since you clearly know so much more.

my point is any motor eating excessive amounts of oil should be checked out.

But ya say what you want about mobil 1 but i'd be curious to hear you experiences on it since you haven't listed any, not to mention shown any of these 100's of oil tests, i mean if there are so many post up homie. I think you are a fanboy and ya dunno what you are talking about.

Last edited by slow04wrx; 07-22-2009 at 02:45 PM.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:00 PM

Car Info: 2015 FR-S
The previous (original) owner of my car used dino 5w30. I bought the car at 118k and switched to Mobil1 5w30. I never had a problem with oil consumption. At my most recent oil change, I switched to Neo 5w30 just because I felt like trying a different oil. The car has 130k and still runs fine.