Old 07-19-2009, 11:44 AM

Car Info: GD
Originally Posted by chinoyboi
I guess I'll take my car to AHQ to change oil and see whats up
i'll see you there
Old 07-19-2009, 03:17 PM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
Originally Posted by slow04wrx
Hmmm. You all are tripping hardcore imo. Mobil 1 is some of the best oil there is. I used it from day one with my 05, I beat it and put 50k on it, last year or so commuting 100 miles a day. My car didn't burn any oil, and had perfect compression.

Royal purple- Iwsti's a bunch of people get serious about their oil, it was found that royal purple oil was basically used up after 1k miles and was total **** by then.

If you are continuing to burn oil it's not the mobil 1 synth for exposing your problem. fault.........probably a tell tale of your motor. Switching to different oil is basically ignoring/hiding the problem. Hate to be negative, and many are ok but there are a lot of 07 sti that the factory tune doesn't suffice on and the motors don't last. Might want to get your car checked out.
\
not norm for sti with 24k to be constantly burning oil.

I wish I were tripping. However, ask hundreds of Subaru owners and they all say Mobil 1 tends to burn off oil faster than any other oil they use. Does this mean there's a problem and they're just hiding it? If they're replacing it with the same weight oil, it doesn't. It just means Mobil 1 tends to cause a lot more oil blow-by and shears a lot quicker than other oils. If you'll notice, a lot of these oil tests

Also, there's been a lot of tests done on Subaru motors where they're recommending that M1 is not a great oil for the EJ series motors. Here's a few:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=1176421

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=1241976

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=1226331

Take what you will from this, but since I've switched from Mobil 1, I have never had to add any extra oil between oil changes.

And just to make myself feel better about using Rotella T

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=1361791
Old 07-20-2009, 12:27 AM

Car Info: Fast
Originally Posted by slow04wrx
Hmmm. You all are tripping hardcore imo. Mobil 1 is some of the best oil there is. I used it from day one with my 05, I beat it and put 50k on it, last year or so commuting 100 miles a day. My car didn't burn any oil, and had perfect compression.

Royal purple- Iwsti's a bunch of people get serious about their oil, it was found that royal purple oil was basically used up after 1k miles and was total **** by then.

If you are continuing to burn oil it's not the mobil 1 synth for exposing your problem. fault.........probably a tell tale of your motor. Switching to different oil is basically ignoring/hiding the problem. Hate to be negative, and many are ok but there are a lot of 07 sti that the factory tune doesn't suffice on and the motors don't last. Might want to get your car checked out.
\
not norm for sti with 24k to be constantly burning oil.
There is a lot of misinformation in this post, so I will focus on the basics.

Switching to a proven, quality oil is probably the BEST way to protect your engine...other than by maintain the proper oil level.

An STI with ANY number of miles will burn oil, especially light grade oils, and especially if you are hard on the gas. It is called blow-by, and our cars can get a lot of it. Look it up.

Mobile 1 sheering and increased consumption has been documented with A ****LOAD of UOA (Used Oil Analysis). It has repeatedly been show to sheer and burn off well before 3k miles. In my engine, which still has AWESOME vacuum at idle after 60k (a sign of an excellent ring seal, good engine health, and great future engine life), it is the ONLY oil that I have had to add to between oil changes. For reference I have used Royal Purple 5w30, AmsOil 5w30 and 5w40 Euro, Redline 5w30 and 10w30, Shell Rotella 5w40, and of course Mobile 1 5w30.

In other words, don't go telling the guy that his motor is probably **** just because YOU have no burnt any oil with Mobile 1.

Last edited by aboothman; 07-20-2009 at 12:29 AM.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:16 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
To the OP:

You only check your oil once every 2600 miles?
Take the car to a dealership for an oil consumption test.
If oil consumption is greater than 1 quart every 1000miles, there may be a problem.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:22 AM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
I freak out if I go two gas fillups without checking my oil. I usually always keep spare oil with me. Every since I had the RS, which went through a lot of oil (not nearly as much as some of you, but still enough to where I had to monitor it, esepcially when I drove on a track, etc).

Czech your oil people!
Old 07-20-2009, 09:03 AM

Car Info: Big Thanks Jeremy@CrucialRacing and Ed@EQ-Tuning
i have tried many top brand oil, amsoil, castrol, mobil1, redline, motul,

by far amsoil works the best, then motul then redline then and castrol, are all very good brand but mobil1(really sucks for subi's)

btw i also change my oil every 2000 miles, sometimes even 1500 miles

then again i love giving back to my lovely STi

27k now i think have changed my spark plugs more than 7 times, and coolant flush more than 10 times haha

Last edited by downsti; 07-20-2009 at 09:10 AM.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:21 AM
aka FlukeWRX

Car Info: '03 WRX WRB Sedan
Originally Posted by downsti

by far amsoil works the best, then motul then redline then and castrol, are all very good brand but mobil1(really sucks for subi's)

27k now i think have changed my spark plugs more than 7 times, and coolant flush more than 10 times haha
Uhm, why are you dumping so much money in to maintenance parts on your car? Is it a heavy track use only car or something?

If you really are changing your oil that much you should send in a sample in Blackstone Labs (or somewhere else) and have them perform a Used Oil Analysis to see if you really need to be changing your oil that often or if you can last longer between oil changes.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:32 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Originally Posted by downsti

Can you please quantify "best" for us?
Old 07-20-2009, 09:58 AM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
Originally Posted by flukewrx
Uhm, why are you dumping so much money in to maintenance parts on your car? Is it a heavy track use only car or something?

If you really are changing your oil that much you should send in a sample in Blackstone Labs (or somewhere else) and have them perform a Used Oil Analysis to see if you really need to be changing your oil that often or if you can last longer between oil changes.
yup, definitely get a UOA from blackstone. Also, pay the extra to get the TBN to see how much life is left in your oil. It's definitely worth it because it'll tell you how healthy your motor is and with it only being ~ $20-$30, it's the same cost of one oil change. So, if it lets you double your oil change mileage, it pays for itself in one oil change.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:13 AM

Car Info: '11 White Shelby Cobra GT 500
dang sean why so many spark plug changing?
Old 07-20-2009, 11:35 AM

Car Info: 03 WRX --> 07 STI --> 10 Cayman S
Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
To the OP:

You only check your oil once every 2600 miles?
Take the car to a dealership for an oil consumption test.
If oil consumption is greater than 1 quart every 1000miles, there may be a problem.
Yeah, I think I'll do that. Thanks!
Old 07-20-2009, 11:49 AM

Car Info: 04 STi
I check the oil about once a week. Sometimes 2 weeks if I dont drive it often.

I get paranoid if I don't check it.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:49 AM

Car Info: bici putas
Whoa, I guess Mobil 1 should pull it's racing sponsorships. And have Porsche stop endorsing it as the OEM choice for it's product line?

I suppose that people can hate on any number of brands, as this supports product diversification, but to say Mobil 1 is the cause of increased oil consumption is silly. Most big name oil brands will work just fine, as long as the viscosity used is appropriate for the bearing clearances inside the engine.

I use Mobil 1 and don't need to refill any oil over my 3500k change schedule
Old 07-20-2009, 05:08 PM

Car Info: Big Thanks Jeremy@CrucialRacing and Ed@EQ-Tuning
Originally Posted by flukewrx

i know about that blackstone labs, or the oil analysis stuff,

i simply dont mind spending the cash on oil change, when i drive my car, i drive it really hard, its just a personal thing i like to be safer, i never once felt i wasted money doing my oil change early

Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
Can you please quantify "best" for us?
this is coming from experience

well after a hard night of street racing( i no longer to do it), where you make 15 or more pass in a row going thru 1 - 5 gear at full wot, with no rest for the car

you will see which oil will burn faster,

and so far Amsoil has been working very good, so far no burning oil or if it is, its very very little, no matter how hard drive my car,

few of my STi buddies also made a switch to amsoil,

they say the same about it

Originally Posted by Gibz
dang sean why so many spark plug changing?

you know how i like to drive my car Jen

i have to constantly make sure the spark plug is on point,

my other friends are even crazier, they change spark plug when ever they dump lead race gas to their car,

Last edited by downsti; 07-20-2009 at 05:15 PM.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:40 PM

Car Info: 04 STi
Downsti is more OCD than me

Quick Reply: Burning through oil?