Bible to be taught in school, in Texas.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 11:09 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 Unicorn
Originally Posted by Overbear
I am waiting for you to attempt to refute my post on macro, and micro evolution and the proof offered.
take a 13.7 billion year step back and tell me where the first matter came from to make evolution even possible. then we will move onto your argument. start at step 1 first though.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:12 AM

Car Info: 2015 WRX
Originally Posted by evsoul
wow a cartoon. thanks i love comic strips.
i counter your argument with multiple pages of cartoons supporting creationism: http://www.bibleforchildren.org/PDFs...%20English.pdf
I presented you with fossil records showing the in between stages in the evolution of the horse, and naturally, you immediately dismiss it because it contradicts your belief.

And since you have no actual response based on the evidence presented, you resort to mockery and derision.

You are transparent.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:12 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by saqwarrior
Gravity is not a theory, it is a thing. That's like saying the Earth is a theory.

The explanation of gravity is a theory.

Also, your usage of theory is the lay-person usage; a scientific theory is not the same thing as a non-scientific theory

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_theory

Who needs to do their homework again?
excuse me from having a science teacher at my junior college tell me it's a theory and that we have no way of saying 100% of the time something will fall.

so i did my homework.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:13 AM
VIP Member

I presented you with fossil records showing the in between stages in the evolution of the horse, and naturally, you immediately dismiss it because it contradicts your belief.

And since you have no actual response based on the evidence presented, you resort to mockery and derision.

You are transparent.
no, i did not dismiss evidence. i dismissed a cartoon and presented you with something of equal value.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:14 AM

take a 13.7 billion year step back and tell me where the first matter came from to make evolution even possible. then we will move onto your argument. start at step 1 first though.
The Big Bang is not evolution. Again you show that you don't know what you're talking about.

Also, you are purposely framing the discussion in a fashion that stacks the cards in your favor, because as I already said, science doesn't ****ing presume to know what happened before the Big Bang, because we have no data or evidence for that period.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:18 AM

Well without the resurrection of Christ then the concept of the moral is meaningless.
Why be a good person if there's no reason to? If we were all an accident then who cares.The reason his good deeds and moral have actual value is because it came from him as a God. It was an extraordinary occurrence..
Originally Posted by Overbear

That has to be the single most asinine thing I have ever seen posted on the net. How sad is that?

So you are trying to say, that morals are only valid because some imaginary person was nailed up on a plank of wood, died, then did the zombie thing 3 days later? That people can't have morals/ethics without that? you sir, need serious mental help.
Originally Posted by Generic
You know, I don't usually take any offense at all with religion, but that statement about how someone can not have morals unless they believe in the Judeo-Christian God is not only complete false, it's really insulting.

I happen to be a fantastic person, thanks. I have a loving family, I love my girlfriend dearly. I volunteer, I am kind, I am giving, I help others whenever I can and I am rewarded with a great group of friends and a comfortable life. I know right from wrong because I was raised to think of other people. I was not raised religious in any fashion, even though both my parents were. You talk about not calling people names, that it is counter-productive and then you say something like that? Are you joking? Hypocrisy at it's best. How dare you propose otherwise.

That, right there, is one of the things I find very, very wrong with what Religion espouses. While I disagree with your beliefs and am ready to defend my own, I would never propose you are less of a person for having those beliefs. It's really sad that the same cannot be said about me, according to you.
Isn't Pride a sin?

These people don't strike me as very good examples of Christians; they're prideful, lack humility, judgmental, vengeful, and so on.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by VRT Gump
and here is a question for all of the Christians or Catholics.

If God knows everything, past, current, future, how do we have any real free choice? I mean, if he knows what will happen, are we not just robots just following his plan?
Ahh, yes. The problem with an omniscient and omnipotent god:

Another argument suggests that there is a contradiction between God being omniscient and omnipotent, basically asking "how can an all-knowing being change its mind?"
There are several logical problems with the existence of such a being:

• The argument from inconsistent revelations contests the existence of the deity called God as described in scriptures — such as the Jewish Tanakh, the Christian Bible, or the Muslim Qur'an — by identifying apparent contradictions between different scriptures, within a single scripture, or between scripture and known facts. To be effective this argument requires the other side to hold that its scriptural record is inerrant, or to conflate the record itself with the God it describes.
  • The problem of evil contests the existence of a god who is both omnipotent and omnibenevolent by arguing that such a god should not permit the existence of evil or suffering. The theist responses are called theodicies.
  • The argument from poor design contests the idea that God created life on the basis that life-forms, including humans, seem to exhibit poor design.
  • The argument from nonbelief contests the existence of an omnipotent God who wants humans to believe in him by arguing that such a god would do a better job of gathering believers.
  • The argument from parsimony contends that since natural (non-supernatural) theories adequately explain the development of religion and belief in gods,[23] the actual existence of such supernatural agents is superfluous and may be dismissed unless otherwise proven to be required to explain the phenomenon.
  • It is argued that belief in God does not help make accurate predictions of future events in the real world, so Occam's Razor may be applied to eliminate this unnecessary hypothesis.
  • The analogy of Russell's teapot argues that the burden of proof for the existence of God lies with the theist rather than the atheist.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:22 AM
VIP Member

^^I'm stacking it in my favor?!?!?!?! Well I'm certainly not going to go out and say "hmm what can I look up to make me look bad"

I really doubt anyone would do that. I'm making my argument based on things you call truth yet cannot answer. The big bang never happened the way it's said to have.
Sure science doesn't presume what happened before the big bang because it can't prove it, therefore your belief has a flaw, I have every answer for me to feel comfortable in my faith. yet yours has holes and constantly changes, so what is right today can very well be wrong tomorrow.

scientific fact is about as stable as my crazy ex girlfriend's moods.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:23 AM

im not saying being a non-believer should mean no morals, I am saying what's the point if there's no judgement? why not just take what you can and do everything for yourself in this life?
The "god" of an atheist is their conscience. Religion doesn't stop people from taking advantage of others, and conversely, atheism doesn't make people find pleasure in doing so.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:27 AM
VIP Member

for the record i never called the big bang evolution, i called it as the start of what you call evolution. because without the big bang evolution could never happen right? i just love your lack of answers as to how we got here. "ok there was stuff... but.. that stuff came from nowhere.. aw crap wait no that stuff came from... aliens! yes YES! aliens! and.. well.. what? where'd the aliens come from? oh ummm a DIFFERENT DIMENSION! YES!"

welcome to theory 101.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:28 AM

wow a cartoon. thanks i love comic strips.
i counter your argument with multiple pages of cartoons supporting creationism: http://www.bibleforchildren.org/PDFs...%20English.pdf
Want pictures?

I'm sure you'll come up with another flippant, snappy, yet ultimately vacuous retort.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:33 AM

excuse me from having a science teacher at my junior college tell me it's a theory and that we have no way of saying 100% of the time something will fall.

so i did my homework.
Your "science teacher" was wrong. Maybe that explains your lack of understanding of science.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:34 AM
VIP Member

honestly, i just thought it was hilarious that you used a cartoon picture haha. wasn't trying to be a dick just had to response out of humor because belief threads aren't ever nice when they could be. give me a few i have to get ready for class.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:35 AM

for the record i never called the big bang evolution, i called it as the start of what you call evolution. because without the big bang evolution could never happen right? i just love your lack of answers as to how we got here. "ok there was stuff... but.. that stuff came from nowhere.. aw crap wait no that stuff came from... aliens! yes YES! aliens! and.. well.. what? where'd the aliens come from? oh ummm a DIFFERENT DIMENSION! YES!"

welcome to theory 101.
I don't answer your questions about how we got here because my answers don't matter to you.

Please tell me what makes your Christian belief correct and the belief of other Christians wrong.

Last edited by saqwarrior; 08-20-2009 at 11:42 AM.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:36 AM
VIP Member

Your "science teacher" was wrong. Maybe that explains your lack of understanding of science.

Quick Reply: Bible to be taught in school, in Texas.