i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Bay Area (https://www.i-club.com/forums/bay-area-15/)
-   -   Bible to be taught in school, in Texas. (https://www.i-club.com/forums/bay-area-15/bible-taught-school-texas-208678/)

Jin 08-17-2009 09:38 PM

Bible to be taught in school, in Texas.

[url]http://www.kltv.com/global/story.asp?s=10933571[/url]

"Come this fall, a Texas law says all public schools must offer information relating to the Bible in their curriculum."

separation of church and state, no?
:hang:

:sign0010:

Spoolin415 08-17-2009 09:41 PM

Separation of church and state doesn't exist.

I have mixed feelings on it and I'm 100% non-religious.

OneManArmy 08-17-2009 09:46 PM

Sounds to me like they aren't forcing religion on anyone. It's not like a bible class, etc.

Just part of a history class. I don't see the problem with that. The bible has had a profound impact on the world historically and as far as religion goes. Whether you believe it or not doesn't detract from it's impact.

There's a lot of crap you learn in school that can come across as "fact" based on THAT teachers believes. History and science are two major places it happens.

It's amazing the difference in the things you learn in junior high and high school history and what you learn when you take advanced college courses in history or read on your how. Much different.

Superglue WRX 08-17-2009 09:53 PM

I don't have a problem with discussing bible text in the same manner as they would Moby Dick or Donte's Inferno. It doesn't hurt anything to learn about religion.

iLoqin 08-17-2009 10:36 PM

It wouldn't be a problem if it was just a story, and everyone looked at it as a story.

Obviously there are going to be mixed views from students. Evolution is easily taught because there are ways to show how people transform or how viruses become resistant. Showing someone religion is a little bit more difficult. Most of the stuff is explained through science. None of the stuff is explains because the might God Zeus or some crap is angry and thunder and lightning everywhere..

iLoqin 08-17-2009 10:39 PM

04caliwrx 08-18-2009 12:49 AM

I'm not a church person myself, with that said... The Bible is a part of history and should be talked about. You don't have to teach about something to talk about it.

evsoul 08-18-2009 02:46 AM

[QUOTE=Jin;2694358][url]http://www.kltv.com/global/story.asp?s=10933571[/url]

"Come this fall, a Texas law says all public schools must offer information relating to the Bible in their curriculum."

separation of church and state, no?
:hang:

:sign0010:[/QUOTE]

if you can teach evolution, then why not also creation?
i don't think only the Holy Bible should be taught when it comes to religion.. but it shouldn't banned if evolution isn't. Christians who do not believe in evolution are forced to study it. How is that fair?

evsoul 08-18-2009 02:48 AM

[QUOTE=04caliwrx;2694522]I'm not a church person myself, with that said... The Bible is a part of history and should be talked about. You don't have to teach about something to talk about it.[/QUOTE]

considering there are MANY ancient references to what's written in the bible I'd say it's academically sound. There are ancient writers that were irrelevant to Jesus that wrote about the things that happened back then. (I'm talking about writers that lived at the sametime mention Jesus, and his disciples in their writings)

so it's definitely a part of history.

we studied the story of alexander the great.. a story that wasn't put to paper until about a thousand years after his death.. and we have to believe it to be true. so why not introduce different beliefs to the students. you don't have to preach but to cut it out completely is way too bias. i can't stand the "evolution is fact" bs. (when i say evolution, im talking about where we come from as humans)

SomethingClassy 08-18-2009 03:03 AM

[QUOTE=evsoul;2694558]if you can teach evolution, then why not also creation?[/QUOTE]

Creationism is so full of it. I'm not entirely sold on evolution being factual. It's still a theory that can be disproved but creationism is such a perversion of science. On the other hand I'm not opposed to the Bible being discussed as a historical reference. To be completely honest I'm not sold on the whole religion thing or sold against it. On the other hand, I'm pretty ****ing drunk right now so I'll have to take two and post again in the morning.

Turbo Rob 08-18-2009 04:02 AM

In Anthropology, we discussed how each tribe has a different creation story. We also talked about the Bibles creation story compared to other religions and beliefs. That is the only time the Bibles form of creation can be legitimately discussed. IMO

Also, if the Bible is going to be taught in world history some of the other great religions documents should be discussed... as they had and continue to have great impact as well.

Shagon Wagon 08-18-2009 04:09 AM

meh... bible... meh.... the bible is good for one thing... swearing at .. i mean swearing on

medicSTi 08-18-2009 07:08 AM

Just so you know, with the separation of church and state all religion was not pulled from schools, just Christianity.

The indoctrination of 90% of America's youth that go to public school, in which they are taught the evolution and big bang are fact, is the truly scary part.

The belief in evolution and the big bang are part of the Secular Humanism Worldview, they are not science, they are not fact.

A scientific fact is something that can be:
1)reproduced
2)witnessed
3)measured

Molecules-to-Man evolution is not fact and neither is big bang theory. They are scientific philosophy, which makes them a worldview. They are not even good theory at that. A worldview is a religion.

The Secular Humanism Worldview and the Worldview of Christianity are both religions based on faith.

Teaching just Christianity or just Secular Humanism is indoctrination. Teach both and let people decide.

medicSTi 08-18-2009 07:12 AM

[QUOTE=SomethingClassy;2694569]Creationism is so full of it. I'm not entirely sold on evolution being factual. It's still a theory that can be disproved but creationism is such a perversion of science. On the other hand I'm not opposed to the Bible being discussed as a historical reference. To be completely honest I'm not sold on the whole religion thing or sold against it. On the other hand, I'm pretty ****ing drunk right now so I'll have to take two and post again in the morning.[/QUOTE]

Post up some specific flaws in Biblical Creationism when your not drunk please :)

Shagon Wagon 08-18-2009 07:26 AM

I think its the spot where God is floating around in a world that doesnt exist... snaps his fingers and voila ! we have planets... people... plants.... just coming to life. Thats probably where some people see flaws. Just a guess?

Edit: my bad... 6 days laters they came to life ! It took six days for the snap of his fingers to take action.

And ... off to O.T with this thread !