Bible to be taught in school, in Texas.

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 04:51 PM

Car Info: 2015 WRX
The big bang and the universe did not come from "nothing," you ****ing morons. Science does not try to answer something it is incapable of.

Let's see if you ignore that bit of information now.
Old 08-19-2009, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by evsoul
Dr. Russell Humphreys, Ph.D., ICR associate professor of physics
"David Russell Humphreys is an American physicist and creationist author. He has offered a young Earth creationist cosmological model to deal with the distant starlight problem. This model has been rejected by the scientific consensus and old earth creationists."

Nice biased source. Even Christians don't like him, haha! Good job! A++, will go to heaven and suckle at the teat of the lamb of God!
Old 08-19-2009, 04:56 PM

And for those of you not familiar with the distant starlight problem:

"The Starlight problem or Distant Starlight problem is an objection frequently proposed to Young Earth creationists, who maintain that the total age of the universe is only 6,000–10,000 years. If this age is correct, it should not be possible to see light coming from stars and galaxies that are millions or even billions of light-years distant. For example, one of the most distant galaxies ever discovered, Abell 1835 IR1916, is measured to be 13.23 billion light-years away from us. This implies that the universe is at least 13.23 billion years old; otherwise the light from this galaxy would not have been able to reach us yet (see particle horizon). This is a fundamental impetus for many creationists who have created their own creationist cosmologies to counter mainstream models."
Old 08-19-2009, 05:25 PM

Car Info: '03 yellow bugeye wagon
Originally Posted by saqwarrior
"David Russell Humphreys is an American physicist and creationist author. He has offered a young Earth creationist cosmological model to deal with the distant starlight problem. This model has been rejected by the scientific consensus and old earth creationists."

Nice biased source. Even Christians don't like him, haha! Good job! A++, will go to heaven and suckle at the teat of the lamb of God!
And for those of you not familiar with the distant starlight problem:

"The Starlight problem or Distant Starlight problem is an objection frequently proposed to Young Earth creationists, who maintain that the total age of the universe is only 6,000–10,000 years. If this age is correct, it should not be possible to see light coming from stars and galaxies that are millions or even billions of light-years distant. For example, one of the most distant galaxies ever discovered, Abell 1835 IR1916, is measured to be 13.23 billion light-years away from us. This implies that the universe is at least 13.23 billion years old; otherwise the light from this galaxy would not have been able to reach us yet (see particle horizon). This is a fundamental impetus for many creationists who have created their own creationist cosmologies to counter mainstream models."
I was about to quote more of that stuff but you two already beat me to it. Sorry Evsoul, but your Dr. Humphreys has more problems than solutions.

Likewise Kevin Henke claimed he has "criticized and documented some of the numerous problems in Dr. Humphreys' work."[7] For example, Humphreys "thinks that zircons from the Fenton Hill rock cores... contain too much radiogenic helium to be billions of years old."[8] Henke claimed that the equations in Humphreys work "are based on many false assumptions (isotropic diffusion, constant temperatures over time, etc.) and the vast majority of Humphreys et al.'s critical a, b, and Q/Q0 values that are used in these 'dating' equations are either missing, poorly defined, improperly measured or inaccurate."[7]
That, in and of itself throws everything you just quoted out the window. Sorry sir, try again.
Old 08-19-2009, 05:50 PM
Jin

Car Info: 05 CGM STi to be converted to RS
the speed of light disproves any young earth creationists out there.
i think someone said, "god made it seem that way" to counter the argument...
Old 08-19-2009, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Jin
the speed of light disproves any young earth creationists out there.
i think someone said, "god made it seem that way" to counter the argument...
That, along with the "God put them there to test our faith" is their way of admitting that they've been stumped.
Old 08-19-2009, 06:55 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
All this hatred of religion aside......

What's the big deal if a public school teaches about The Bible?

My God....did I just un-derail a thread?!?!?!
Old 08-19-2009, 06:57 PM
Yin

Car Info: 2016 FXT
^ you're right. and in earlier posts most of us have agreed that teaching the bible, along with other religions and their origins, would be a good way to expose students to overall human perspectives, and not just one deity.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
All this hatred of religion aside......

What's the big deal if a public school teaches about The Bible?

My God....did I just un-derail a thread?!?!?!
In the proper context, there is nothing wrong with a public school teaching about the Bible, so long as equal time is given to all major religions.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:16 PM
Jin

yeah I was against it at first but now I think its ok as long it isn't abused by zealous teachers that wants to spread the word...then again there will be teachers thatll do the opposite. whatever done in school cloud be corrected by the parents the way they want it. I guess it all depends on how it'll be applied
Old 08-19-2009, 07:24 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 Unicorn

ok so taking your information from an atheist to support your belief in evolution isn't a biased source?

Tell me why what he said is incorrect instead of saying it's bias.

Last edited by evsoul; 08-19-2009 at 07:28 PM.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:25 PM
VIP Member

The big bang and the universe did not come from "nothing," you ****ing morons. Science does not try to answer something it is incapable of.
Let's see if you ignore that bit of information now.
well then friend, where did the very very very very first particle of anything come from?
Old 08-19-2009, 07:27 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Yin
^ you're right. and in earlier posts most of us have agreed that teaching the bible, along with other religions and their origins, would be a good way to expose students to overall human perspectives, and not just one deity.
yeah, and i totally agree.. there should be no influence involved in class. Just sharing of knowledge and different cultures. they should be teaching cultural studies ranging from Muslim, Christianity, Buddhism, Judaism, etc etc etc. There's no reason the sharing of information shouldn't happen as long as it's done without a hidden agenda. School is after all, for learning and education.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:48 PM
Jin

ok so taking your information from an atheist to support your belief in evolution isn't a biased source?

Tell me why what he said is incorrect instead of saying it's bias.
not all evolutionists are atheist and the scientific community as whole rejects his idea based on science. so its not really taking sides.

jewish and roman catholic communities oppose intelligent design just to let you know. its not atheist vs theist, its science vs non-science.

if you do any searches regarding evolution, evolution will be presented, regardless of the site's bias towards the issue (for most part), as science. whereas creationism/ID, its different story, answeringenesis.org for example, rejects many of scientific theories to explain their own view (young earth creationism).

In the spring of 2009, Answers in Genesis posted a billboard in Texas with a young boy aiming a gun towards the camera with the words "If God doesn't matter to him, do you?". The same image was used in a TV ad. The ad has been taken to imply that atheism leads to acts of murder.

AiG's justification for using this form of advertisement is concern over the rise of dramatic school massacres in America and around the world, and specifically one in Finland where the killer posted a video mentioning putting "natural selection back on track" generally appealing to a crude form of the ideology known as Social Darwinism. AiG contends that this indicates that school massacres are in part created by the teaching of evolution in public schools.

manipulation at work.

well then friend, where did the very very very very first particle of anything come from?
isnt that like asking who created the creator?

Last edited by Jin; 08-19-2009 at 08:01 PM.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:57 PM
Yin

Car Info: 2016 FXT
yeah, and i totally agree.. there should be no influence involved in class. Just sharing of knowledge and different cultures. they should be teaching cultural studies ranging from Muslim, Christianity, Buddhism, Judaism, etc etc etc. There's no reason the sharing of information shouldn't happen as long as it's done without a hidden agenda. School is after all, for learning and education.
word. i'm happy we agree on this.

and i should also note that there are many scientists out there who do believe in a god. some are of true faith and some are zealots. but thats to be expected.

Quick Reply: Bible to be taught in school, in Texas.