Bible to be taught in school, in Texas.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 04:18 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
It's gonna be awesome when I die.....I'll either be greatly disappointed or terribly happy.
Either way, I'll be dead & **** won't mean **** anymore.
Old 08-20-2009, 04:26 PM
Jin

Car Info: 05 CGM STi to be converted to RS
Originally Posted by evsoul
yeah, so it doesn't make having faith in a supreme being irrational.
of course not but believing in supernatural act is different, such as noah's flood. or taking literally the story adam and eve or humans and dinosaurs living together (as creationism suggests).

Last edited by Jin; 08-20-2009 at 04:43 PM.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:42 PM

Car Info: 2015 WRX
my goal is not to prove one wrong but explain why something doesn't work for me.

and i say belief because it's YOUR belief as to how this universe works. the term belief is relative to the person. belief for me is faith in a higher being, belief to you is science fact. i "believe" God is the truth. you "believe" science holds the answers or will attempt to find the answers.

just because i say belief does not mean i am referring to your "faith".

also show me how science has disproven God? it's not irrational to believe in God until you can disprove his existence.
yeah, so it doesn't make having faith in a supreme being irrational.
Originally Posted by Jin
of course not but believing in supernatural act is different, such as noah's flood. or taking literally the story adam and eve or humans and dinosaurs living together (as creationism suggests).
The burden of proof falls upon you, the one making the claim. You cannot make an extraordinary claim and then expect people to have doubts about it, and when they cannot disprove it, claim that as some sort of evidence for being right. By that same logic, I can claim that there exists an invisible pink unicorn, and then say that since you cannot disprove its existence, that is evidence of it existing.

Also, I disagree that having faith in a supreme being isn't irrational. Something not based on logic or reason is by definition "irrational":

not consistent with or using reason; "irrational fears"; "irrational animals"
Would you not say that someone who believes werewolves is irrational? Or someone that believes in the bogeyman? I see no reason to treat people who believe in "God" any differently. Different fairy tale, except you believe in it as an adult.

And as someone pointed out earlier, faith and proof are mutually exclusive concepts. You do not have faith in something if you require evidence of its existence.

The psychology of many religious people is so painfully obvious, especially when they try proving themselves right and others wrong.

Last edited by saqwarrior; 08-20-2009 at 05:44 PM.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
It's gonna be awesome when I die.....I'll either be *nothing* or terribly happy.

Either way, I'll be dead & **** won't mean **** anymore.
Fixed.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:11 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 Unicorn
Originally Posted by saqwarrior
The burden of proof falls upon you, the one making the claim. You cannot make an extraordinary claim and then expect people to have doubts about it, and when they cannot disprove it, claim that as some sort of evidence for being right. By that same logic, I can claim that there exists an invisible pink unicorn, and then say that since you cannot disprove its existence, that is evidence of it existing.

Also, I disagree that having faith in a supreme being isn't irrational. Something not based on logic or reason is by definition "irrational":

Would you not say that someone who believes werewolves is irrational? Or someone that believes in the bogeyman? I see no reason to treat people who believe in "God" any differently. Different fairy tale, except you believe in it as an adult.

And as someone pointed out earlier, faith and proof are mutually exclusive concepts. You do not have faith in something if you require evidence of its existence.

The psychology of many religious people is so painfully obvious, especially when they try proving themselves right and others wrong.

my purpose is not to prove anyone wrong. I could ultimately careless what you believe. I just hate when people dig in because they don't accept what I accept. I think believing in life without a creator is irrational.. why? because something had to put it here. Whether it be the God I believe exists or some other unexplainable being. But for something to naturally occur in the absolute very beginning makes absolutely no sense to me.

Either way I am over this conversation, it's not gonna prove anything to you or me.. we believe what we believe hopefully one of us is right or else there was an entire 20 page thread of nothing haha.

Old 08-21-2009, 03:27 AM

Car Info: Forester XTi
And yet, I am STILL waiting for a apology. Typical christian....
Old 08-21-2009, 07:39 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2008 EVO X/1991 Nissan Skyline GT-R32
what if we are part of a cell, that is part of an entire being. When you get smaller in size, there are trillions and trillions of other cells, and when you get bigger the same thing.

how would that be? If we were just part of a cell in some wierd animals eye or something. It may be far fetched, but not as far fetched as any other idea that someone can conjour up.

and for evsoul, I respect that your putting your opinion out there and not bashing others.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:25 AM

my purpose is not to prove anyone wrong. I could ultimately careless what you believe. I just hate when people dig in because they don't accept what I accept. I think believing in life without a creator is irrational.. why? because something had to put it here. Whether it be the God I believe exists or some other unexplainable being. But for something to naturally occur in the absolute very beginning makes absolutely no sense to me.
You keep reverting back to this, and everyone keeps asking you: if that's irrational, then you must also ask "Who created the creator?" To accept that one thing has always been there, but deny that something else could have always been there is disingenuous at best, and it's certainly intellectually dishonest when you reply with "It's not applicable because it's the creator!" That's a bull**** answer, and a cop-out -- and you know it.

Either way I am over this conversation, it's not gonna prove anything to you or me.. we believe what we believe hopefully one of us is right or else there was an entire 20 page thread of nothing haha.
You said that before, but I have a feeling you'll be back. Religious people can't stand it when others don't believe the same things as them, because it makes them feel like it invalidates their belief. You are driven to proselytize, not just under mandate of scripture, but by your own psyche's attempt to find rationalizations for something that doesn't exist in the physical world.

And for the record, this conversation has proven a lot to me.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:29 AM
Yin

Car Info: 2016 FXT

/thread
Old 08-21-2009, 12:15 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by Overbear
And yet, I am STILL waiting for a apology. Typical christian....
Not sure what this in reference too... I'm to lazy to read back the last 150 posts or so since i last posted. haaa.

But if someone doesn't feel like they did or said something wrong then they wouldn't feel like they need to give an apology.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:53 PM

Car Info: Forester XTi
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
Not sure what this in reference too... I'm to lazy to read back the last 150 posts or so since i last posted. haaa.

But if someone doesn't feel like they did or said something wrong then they wouldn't feel like they need to give an apology.
To sum up, a few of the "Christians" spouted off to affect "there is no proof of evolution" I and a few others posted up much science and fact, they ignored it.
Old 08-21-2009, 05:25 PM
Yin

Car Info: 2016 FXT
I just hate when people dig in because they don't accept what I accept. I think believing in life without a creator is irrational.. why? because something had to put it here.
to think that humans/God/supreme being are the end all be all "Creator" of everything is bordering on delusion of grandeur. it's not all about us, because people come and go, as do religions and people's beliefs, hence the phrase 'opiate for the masses' - it allows people to live day to day and not think about the world around them, just where they came from and where they are going. but this is just my cynical/realist side.

what i'd like to believe is that there is a purpose for everyone. what that is, no one really knows. this is why people try to study the natural world for what it is, with empirical evidence and repeated experimentation. no one is saying "dont have *faith*, and you're stupid if you do." after all, faith is what brings people together, not apart. but this is not what i see in religion and "faith" these days, or in history for that matter. with this information, how can anyone think their belief is the only valid belief? self preservation...