Bay area Takata airbag recall

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 12:23 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 05 WRX
Originally Posted by 04GG
That's what Creek's service manager told me.
Steven's Creek...Dealership of Legends!

I have heard of instances in the past where Steven's Creek Subaru has not gained favorable customer service reviews for both their levels of service and levels of honesty (That is me being polite)
Old 03-30-2017, 01:04 PM

Car Info: '06 OBS Special Edition
My car is at Capitol Subaru and they're saying the same thing, so...
Old 03-30-2017, 01:23 PM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
Originally Posted by glenspen
Steven's Creek...Dealership of Legends!

I have heard of instances in the past where Steven's Creek Subaru has not gained favorable customer service reviews for both their levels of service and levels of honesty (That is me being polite)
lol. I know and I didn't really want to use them, but that was my nearest option. Now that Fremont is open I will be giving them a try next time I need something dealer related.
Old 04-05-2017, 10:37 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
I finally got in... on the 11th because I called at the right time and they just got an opening. Why the hell this took so long is beyond me.
Old 04-05-2017, 03:39 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 05 WRX
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
I finally got in... on the 11th because I called at the right time and they just got an opening. Why the hell this took so long is beyond me.
Congrats. Did they tell you how long they would need your car for?
Old 04-05-2017, 05:40 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by glenspen
Congrats. Did they tell you how long they would need your car for?
all day. They're giving me a loaner.
Old 04-06-2017, 11:26 PM

Capitol Subaru had my car for 13 days. :/
Old 04-07-2017, 09:24 AM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
Originally Posted by OldGregg
Did they rebuild it? lol
Old 04-07-2017, 01:02 PM

Car Info: 04 psm wrx sedan
Originally Posted by 04GG
That's what Creek's service manager told me.
Wow thats crazy haha ive been at two different dealerships during this recall and know people at two others and no one has even heard of that
Old 04-07-2017, 04:25 PM
General Pimpin'

13 days... I'd be down for that. Give me a nice clean loaner to drive for two weeks. Works for me.
Old 04-08-2017, 12:23 AM

I thought I'd be cool with it, but each day with that camry made me miss my car more and more.
Old 04-10-2017, 04:05 PM

Car Info: 04 psm wrx sedan
Originally Posted by OldGregg
the paid time on the gd airbag is under an hour. ive done a few myself. not sure why they choose to tell you and others that only one tech is allowed to work on airbags. the past two dealers ive worked at during this recall usually have every tech doing them.

at least it got done and you are out of the rental now haha
Old 04-14-2017, 03:30 PM
General Pimpin'

I dropped mine off at like 10am and got a call around 3 to pick it up. I kept the loaner until the next morning... because... much nicer to drive than my car. LOL!
Old 04-16-2017, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by OneManArmy
I dropped mine off at like 10am and got a call around 3 to pick it up. I kept the loaner until the next morning... because... much nicer to drive than my car. LOL!
wtf where?

I want to take a giant poop in Capitol Subaru's mail box. While waiting in the lot for like 10 minutes for them to dig my car out of the back parking spots, I already was able to see the kind of sleezy mother ****ers that place employs.

What loaner did you get? About all I enjoyed was the extra storage in the center console. I got a Camry with the same horsepower but more weight than my wagon. It was a 2017 but felt like it launched into the air on bumps my 10 year old impreza would soak up.

Last edited by OldGregg; 04-16-2017 at 01:06 AM.
Old 06-14-2017, 04:53 PM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Car Info: 2011 SWP WRX Hatch
(Feb '17)

Originally Posted by JourdanWithaU
Just scheduled my appointment on Monday at Stevens Creek. Soonest they could do the airbag was June 13th. They also asked if I wanted to do the air pump relay at the same time or sooner. I opted for both at the same time.

They plan to have my car for 3 days.
(Jun '17)

Dropped my car off today...

Pulled up and there are cars everywhere. Got directed by a guy to pull forward into a gap where there wasn't enough space. I told him it was too narrow, he told me to go anyway.

That already irritated me.

A car leave and now there's space for me to pull up. another kid comes up and asks what I'm there for. I told him that I had an appointment. He asked for my name. I give him my name and he goes off to wherever.

I start collecting my things. Kid comes back, asks what I want done on my car. [What did you ask for my name for if you didn't look anything up?!] Now more irritated, I reply with, "All the ****ing recalls on this car." As soon as I said it, I knew I shouldn't have said "****ing". Oh well. Kid runs off. I just about have all my things.

Service writer comes out. Introduces himself. We go inside. He starts writing me up for what I need done. Gets the airbag recall and asks if I wanted to have anything else done. Umm, yeah, the relay too. You know, the stuff that I scheduled this appointment for 4 MONTHS AGO.

All the work is written up. Since they're recalls they will be done at no cost to me. Also, part of the deal, I will be provided with a rental car from Hertz. Wait, what? (I am less happy) I was hoping to have another Subaru as my loaner. Unfortuantely, due to blahblahblahIstoppedpayingattentionblahblah rental car from Hertz.

I also wanted them to wash the car. Washes are usually standard. I ask just to verify. Apparently, they are doing construction and they do not have the capability to wash cars.

****ing great.

Hertz guy is coming to pick me up. I need to wait. Since I'm waiting I decide to go over to the parts department and see if they have any wheel bearing in stock and see if I can check them out. While I'm in the parts area, I overhear the cashiers/schedulers being informed that they need to tell customers that they will be given rental cars when they bring their cars in for recalls. As there are customers (me) are getting angry when they find out they aren't getting a Subaru.

Hetz guy shows up, takes me over to Hertz which is just down the street. Walk in, there's a couple who aren't satisfied with the car they are being given. (Oh, boy, I get to be unsatisfied too!) The couple gets whatever and they are on their way. I'm up. Ok, sir, we will need your driver's license and a credit card for a $50 deposit. What? I understood that this would be no cost to me. Well yeah, you get the deposit back when you return the car. My mood continues to go south. **** it, whatever, here's my card. The guy takes a few minutes to do whatever he does. Ok, sir, we have a Nissan Versa for you. NOPE. Do you have anything nicer? Umm, we can do a Chevy Impala. Ok, what doe sit have? It's a full size. I don't care that it's bigger, I want something comfortable.Doe sit have like leather or anything? I'm sorry, sir, all of our cars are base models. (****ing great) I'll take the Impala.

Now I'm rolling around in a 2016 Impala. Wow this thing is a piece of crap.

I hope they can do the recalls quickly on my Subaru.

FOLLOW UP:

Picked up my car.

It's dirty as ****.

One of my decals is burnt from the car sitting in the sun for a week.

My shift **** is trashed.

Name:  plDBqSHl.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  29.5 KB

The car is still sitting in the service lane. I go back to my service writer. He looks at it. Denies that this was done by them and that I must have either just done it or this it was like that when I dropped the car of the week before.

My shiftknob is a gluey ****ty mess. No one offers me anything to make my car driveable without getting **** all over my hand. I had to demand a glove which was met with skepticism. The only option I am given is to talk to the manager who, of course, isn't available.

I drive home, I'm pissed. I'm not really stoked about buying another $170 shift ****. I get home, dig up another ****. Swap it out and put the mess in a bag. Grab my phone to at least call the manager and leave a message. There's a voicemail from my service writer. He says that he found a note from a tech that shows that they damaged my ****. For some reason it was noted on the wrong order or some bull****. He then goes on to inform me that he was able to talk to his manager (some how) and they would be getting me a replacement ****. (Excellent) Because it is a hard to find part (No ****, why do you think I was so mad?) it would take them a week to get it.

Week later, I get a call that my new **** is in. Cool. Swing by after work to pick it up. I spent at least 20 minutes hunting for parking. During my hike from my car to the parts department, what do I pass? A couple dudes washing Subarus. Nice. The inability to wash cars was bull****. Real nice.

I ****ing hate this place. I beeline to the parts department. I must have looked pissed. No one would look at me. I pick up my new ****. Go home, install it, all is well in the world.

The saga continues... (Sep '17)

Just a little over month after getting the car back. What lights up?

Name:  ZAtF9uOl.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  38.7 KB

I'm in a unique situation where I have changed my driver's seat and steering wheel. The wheel and seat have been in for almost a year with no light but the light could be on for one of those airbags. I need to get a scanner to find out which one it is.

The gift that keeps on giving. (Feb '18)

As it turned out, the airbag light was the resistor for my driver's seat. That was an easy fix.

Mid January, I got my registration renewal. I need to smog the car and produce a certificate that the WTM-73 recall (air pump relay) was done.

I have no desire to go back to Stevens Creek to get that cert.

While getting parts for another project, I found myself at Capitol Subaru. While I was there, I asked them about getting the cert for the recall. They tell me that I have to go to the dealer that did the work. ****.

I begrudgingly go to Stevens Creek. I easily find parking. Which is weird. I go into the service department and ask them for the cert. They ask who my service writer is. I have no idea and I don't see the guy. I don't think he works there any more. The guy I'm working with is clearly green. How hard can it be to write this certificate? He finds my info and fills out the certificate and I'm all set. Thank you, peace out, I'm done with Stevens Creek!

I head over to the smog guy. Everything passes! (This was a great victory in itself) Then he asks about the recall and if I have the certificate. Hell yeah I have that stupid certificate. I hand him the cert and he starts looking it over. Apparently he wants to note it on the smog certification. The guy seems rather confused with the cert. He brings it back to me. He says it doesn't look like it's filled out correctly. You've got to be ****ing ****ting me. I look at the cert. It says "Airbag" where it's supposed to list the recall number. It also doesn't have the full VIN on it. Smog guy was cool. He gave me a full pass on smog. I get to go back to Stevens Creek.

I am beyond pissed. The same spot I parked in before is open. Make my way back to the service department. The guy from earlier is no where to be found. One of the other writers recognizes me. Asks what's up. I tell him that his guy filled out the cert wrong and that I would like a correct one. I give the guy the cert, he reads it and starts to apologize and starts filling out a new one. One of the other writers perks up. He sees what's going on and says he's going to go find the first guy and smack him. While the new guy is filling out the new cert. I'm venting about my absolute ****show of an experience this entire process has been. I even told him how I tried to get this cert at another dealer and how they said I had to go back to Stevens Creek. The guy informs me that any dealer should be able to look this up and produce a cert for me. Oh good, so, Capitol ****ed me too.

Hopefully this is the end of all of this...

Last edited by JourdanWithaU; 02-06-2018 at 10:30 AM.

Quick Reply: Bay area Takata airbag recall