anyone see a rota explode?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2003, 09:10 PM
NASIOC Slut

Car Info: 1995 Subaru Impreza 1.8 L
Originally posted by suby_dude
i don't think you should shy away from recommending ROTA...
Just the attacks. I always worried about the thin spokes and few of them...
Old 01-11-2003, 12:29 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: MMVI AW WRX STI
Haven't we seen a bunch of Subzero failures? I guess you get what you pay for.
Old 01-11-2003, 01:31 PM
@Stoptech

Car Info: 2002 WRX Wagon
Originally posted by mexicanpizza
Haven't we seen a bunch of Subzero failures? I guess you get what you pay for.
The sub zero failures were (as far as I know) all from the first batch that came out. Rota found the flaw and corrected it and the new ones are as strong as anything else. I believe Rota also replaced all four wheels of each persons who had one break. It sounds like Rota really does stand behind their product.

Kostamojen, I wouldn't be worried about recommending the Attacks. There are so many of them in use that one isolated incident really doesn't mean anything about their long term reliability. So don't worry... yet, that is.
Old 01-12-2003, 02:05 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2016 Acura RDX ... meh. Um, nice subwoofer?
I always wondered why Rota wheels were so cheap. You do get what you pay for, guys.

jason
Old 01-12-2003, 10:08 PM

I had to grin when I saw that dude up a tree like scared kitty cat. I have no doubt that there are other wheels that explode/break that cost more money. I think the term "You get what you pay for" is oversimplistic. Quality isnt dependent on money spent. I remember considering the SSR wheels for my car and in doing so I e-mailed another Subaru owner that had em to see what he said about em.. His reply was... that after about six months he had felt a slight wobble and that he assumed that he had hit something. He did not even recognize when he did hit something. (must be real fragile) So I guess he got what he paid for.......He said get some less expensive wheels.... so I did.

Last edited by BlueGargantua; 01-12-2003 at 10:13 PM.
Old 01-12-2003, 10:43 PM
NASIOC Slut

Car Info: 1995 Subaru Impreza 1.8 L
I would still buy rotas, mostly because I see other wheels that are lightweight have the same problems no matter how they are designed...
Old 01-13-2003, 09:18 PM
Dork

Car Info: 2005 STi, 2005 OXT
Hello,

I agree. You get what you pay for. So when you buy an expensive rim, you get a "normal" rim plus a name you get to brag about. You paid for the name, you get to brag about it.

Meanwhile, isolated failures will happen with any rim, whether it costs $1000 per rim or $100 per rim. Some will fail on rare occasions.

I can guarantee that none of you drive your rims as hard as we drive the rims on the racecar. Of 24 rims that we've used for racing (4 stock (rain tires, part of one season), 4 Advan RGs (race wheels, part of one season), and 16 Rota Sub-Zeros (race and rain, two seasons - and no, we are not sponsored by rota and they've never given us a single rim), we've had a grand total of 2 failures. Two of the Advan RGs, at different times, got bent. We never had a rim-bending accident, it was just through normal use.

So, the $400 per rim, forged major name brand rim bent not just once, but twice. The "crappy" "cheap" "non-forged" $145 per rim Rotas have never given us a single problem. We're starting a 3rd season on half of those rims, second season for the other half of those rims.

*shrug* I know I'd be upset if my rim fell apart on me, but in this case, I'd probably chalk it up to a quirk and send it in to Rota (they're local to us). The rims are among the highest quality rims I've ever used. I now use them on my street cars, too.

Joel

BTW, we get ours from Serious Auto.
Old 01-13-2003, 09:38 PM
Dork

Hello,

Oops, I just looked it up. The wheel weights page listed the RG as forged. Advan's pages don't say. But I think you are correct. I was wrong about the price, too. For the 17 inch, they're about $500-550 a piece. And the RG stands for Racing and Gymkhana... Funny, that.

Joel
Old 01-14-2003, 09:17 AM
Former Vendor

Car Info: Evo X
you mean this one?

Originally posted by PacificMartin
Yea, didn't Tommi or Petter do something similar this past season? I can't remember which rally, but I do remember the video. And they're riding on damn expensive wheels.
Attached Thumbnails anyone see a rota explode?-wheel.jpg  
Old 01-14-2003, 09:24 AM
sjt

Car Info: Seltos
Originally posted by iBlueVirus
you mean this one?
Makes you wonder where the rest of the wheel went... some must be auctioning that shiz on Ebay by now...
Old 01-14-2003, 09:55 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2016 Acura RDX ... meh. Um, nice subwoofer?
Originally posted by BlueGargantua
I had to grin when I saw that dude up a tree like scared kitty cat. I have no doubt that there are other wheels that explode/break that cost more money. I think the term "You get what you pay for" is oversimplistic. Quality isnt dependent on money spent. I remember considering the SSR wheels for my car and in doing so I e-mailed another Subaru owner that had em to see what he said about em.. His reply was... that after about six months he had felt a slight wobble and that he assumed that he had hit something. He did not even recognize when he did hit something. (must be real fragile) So I guess he got what he paid for.......He said get some less expensive wheels.... so I did.
But how often do you hear of SSRs failing? This is the first I've heard about SSRs. This certainly isn't the first I've heard about Rotas. I'm just wondering how many licks it takes to get to the center of a Volk Rays TE37

jason
Old 01-14-2003, 10:32 AM
Dork

Originally posted by mmboost
I'm just wondering how many licks it takes to get to the center of a Volk Rays TE37
Hello,

Seen it on a rally car. I could feel my wallet crying out with sympathy pain

Joel