All this suspension talk.. Planning out DD '02 WRX changes.

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 09:16 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
I just took another drive and pushed it a little harder this time. It's soooo much fun. Super planted and easy to get it pointed where I want.

One of the biggest things I have noticed since the front struts were re-assembled is that the car seems to experience bumps and road irregularities as one unit instead of "bump" in front and then "bump" in back. If that makes any sense. Ha!

Also, I went over some of those same areas that would unsettle the car and make loud bottoming-out noises and there was absolutely none of that this time. Hard to believe ~1" can make such a difference, and maybe there are other factors at work here but it is so nice and balanced now.

Originally Posted by CharT
As for strut tops, I used Group N tops after my camber plates fell apart. No regrets with Group N stuff.
I may just get a set of these.

Thanks for the tip! I ordered them last night. Now, to order inner tie rods and boots.

Can you do that without pulling the rack or better to have it out of the car?
Old 01-16-2015, 09:59 AM

Car Info: 2003 WRX Wagon
Originally Posted by wombatsauce
Can you do that without pulling the rack or better to have it out of the car?
Should be able to do it just on jack stands with steering rack in place. The inner tie rod comes off using a special tool that looks like a pipe with a socket at the end. The outer tie rod should come off with a tie rod puller.

I haven't done the install, yet, but I'd be glad to help after I figure out how. May need to buy the inner tie rod tool for $40 from Harbor Freight.
Old 01-16-2015, 05:30 PM
aka FlukeWRX

Car Info: '03 WRX WRB Sedan
Thanks for the tip! I ordered them last night. Now, to order inner tie rods and boots.
Old 01-16-2015, 05:39 PM
aka FlukeWRX

You didn't have any problems with your Com-C top hats right? I have read a few threads about them now. Not sure what the deal is. Sounds like the bearing is binding especially when used with ALK.
I just took another drive and pushed it a little harder this time. It's soooo much fun. Super planted and easy to get it pointed where I want.

One of the biggest things I have noticed since the front struts were re-assembled is that the car seems to experience bumps and road irregularities as one unit instead of "bump" in front and then "bump" in back. If that makes any sense. Ha!

Also, I went over some of those same areas that would unsettle the car and make loud bottoming-out noises and there was absolutely none of that this time. Hard to believe ~1" can make such a difference, and maybe there are other factors at work here but it is so nice and balanced now.

Oh yeah, I definitely know what you mean about having the whole car acting as one unit. Most of the time my car can drive over surfaces really smoothly, but when a road is messed up I can tell very clearly (like going over the bridge up near Sacramento on I-80).

With my Com-C's the rubber is starting to pull apart from the center section of the Top Hats. However, I contacted Whiteline and they did send the replacement units out free of charge. I have heard the various issues of bearing noises as well with the different designs (they have switched it up a few times). If you don't need the additional Camber / Caster then using the Group N's (and maybe additional Camber bolts) is still a solid option if you are having troubles with the Com-C's.
Old 01-20-2015, 11:52 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by JelloChex
Oh yeah, I definitely know what you mean about having the whole car acting as one unit. Most of the time my car can drive over surfaces really smoothly, but when a road is messed up I can tell very clearly (like going over the bridge up near Sacramento on I-80).

With my Com-C's the rubber is starting to pull apart from the center section of the Top Hats. However, I contacted Whiteline and they did send the replacement units out free of charge. I have heard the various issues of bearing noises as well with the different designs (they have switched it up a few times). If you don't need the additional Camber / Caster then using the Group N's (and maybe additional Camber bolts) is still a solid option if you are having troubles with the Com-C's.
That's right, I remember you showing me the rubber issues on yours. I really like the idea of them, but from what I have read online it sounds like I can expect to try several sets before just deciding what to do about it. The noise is frustrating but it's a concern that it's possibly binding. I emailed the company I got them from but have not heard back yet. Might just order the Group-N's so I can be done with it. Might need camber bolts - not sure.

I have been driving the car each day though and I had some issues with tire pressure - rears were way over-inflated. Now that I fixed the tire pressures, it drives a lot better. Amazing how that can affect so much!

I really appreciate everyone's help in here. The Swifts are soft, but, I am growing to like them - and the ride height is exactly what I was looking for.
Old 01-21-2015, 03:53 PM
aka FlukeWRX

Which tires are you running and what is the pressure at now (and before when they were over-inflated)?

I run my Pilot Super Sports at 35 Front / 33 Rear and found that to be a pretty consistent rate for my car to have the tires last a long time and wearing evenly (with a proper alignment).
Old 02-06-2015, 05:48 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by JelloChex
Which tires are you running and what is the pressure at now (and before when they were over-inflated)?

I run my Pilot Super Sports at 35 Front / 33 Rear and found that to be a pretty consistent rate for my car to have the tires last a long time and wearing evenly (with a proper alignment).
I'm email-tarded. Just saw this. I have 225/45-17 Bridgestone RE-760 Sports. I got them in 2012 when it was raining/snowing a lot. I intend to replace them in the next few months, though they have been fine.

When I checked the tires, the fronts were around 34 with the rears around 38. Not sure why. I set them to 33 front with the rears at 32, but I will try setting them as you say - I am still getting a weird gear noise on deceleration in 3rd and 4th which makes me concerned.
Old 02-09-2015, 01:47 AM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
I'm email-tarded. Just saw this. I have 225/45-17 Bridgestone RE-760 Sports. I got them in 2012 when it was raining/snowing a lot. I intend to replace them in the next few months, though they have been fine. When I checked the tires, the fronts were around 34 with the rears around 38. Not sure why. I set them to 33 front with the rears at 32, but I will try setting them as you say - I am still getting a weird gear noise on deceleration in 3rd and 4th which makes me concerned.
aren't we all concerned with any noise?? Jacob once I get my alignment and such wanna go for a drive? I got my new wheel set up with tires
Old 02-17-2015, 03:38 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Heedz
aren't we all concerned with any noise?? Jacob once I get my alignment and such wanna go for a drive? I got my new wheel set up with tires
Oooops I missed another post - I guess I don't check back here that often any more. Sure that sounds fun. I still need to get another alignment though. Down for a drive if I can get away.

I am still trying to figure out what to do with these Whiteline strut tops - the front Com-C. It looks like if I want to replace them I just need to go ahead and buy a set of Group-N strut tops and replace them, and then try to get these Whitelines returned. I have not been able to get in touch with the place I got them from yet so still trying to do that (might see if I can call them today or tomorrow).

The "clunk/pop" noise only happens once in a while now - I actually forgot about it. I guess my only other concern is that it seems like the rubber also starts to go bad from talking to a couple people and reading threads. Might just have the car aligned and "not worry about it" for a while unless something happens.

I have been basically daily driving the car now and it's been super fun. Really enjoying this thing.