-1 for Gruppe-S

Old 01-05-2007, 01:15 AM

Car Info: White 04 WRX
last tiem i went to gruppe-s there wasnt one subaru in front...from then i knew it was downhill =/
Old 01-05-2007, 01:39 AM

Car Info: 04wrx
damn i just got dicked by them too. I wasnt going to post anything because gruppe-s were coo way back back then. but recently I ordered a whole new ewg setup from them, hearing from gary himself that it fits perfectly and there shouldn't be any fitment issues or anything, so I paid them cash .. CASH... probably like 3-4 days later I bring it to gst to get it installed, and once the mechanic saw the product, he told me this whole setup was designed horribly and the gaskets dont even matchup. The items were never installed, just the bubble wrap was ripped off of it. I take the stuff back to gruppe-s, which is like 5mins away and try to return it and get my money back. then gary steps in and says uh we can take it back but I am going to have to charge you a 25% restocking fee.... WTF? you can just put a new bubble wrap on it and tape it back up like all the other return items you guys have. I tell him it was never installed and I bought it like 4 days ago, but still he says hes going to have charge me something for returning it..(I just think thats a bad way to dick your customers over, I mean I bought almost all my parts from them and never returned or complain about anything).... plus the new guys don't seem to know what they are talking about. As for the mechanic at gruppe-s.. doesnt he work on hondas?

oh well, im done with them. +1 for gst haha
Old 01-05-2007, 01:40 AM

Car Info: wrx02
So, it sounds like gruppe-s is no longer favored among bayarea community. They don't have good mechanics anymore?

I'm glad you (illusion) for starting this thread because I was thinking a lot about where to get some works done + tune this january or so. I think I know my answer now.
Thanks

Last edited by willow; 01-05-2007 at 01:44 AM.
Old 01-05-2007, 01:46 AM
more than meets the eye

Car Info: ?
Old 01-05-2007, 02:07 AM
rau
Something Custom

Car Info: You guys mad.
i know a lot of people over on NorCalEvo.net shop at Gruppe-S, or used to...

so i made it a point to cross post this over there
Old 01-05-2007, 02:08 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: non subarus
wowww..
Old 01-05-2007, 02:24 AM

Car Info: 02 wagon
yikes . . . i've been a long time lurker and barely got my suby a few weeks ago , i've been wanting to go to Gruppe-S for awhile now since all of the good that i've heard from them ( heard being PAST tense) but i guess not, thanks for the post and the heads up illusion ! you shouldn't worry about the clients that they'll be losing, but the customers that would be affected by them with the bad business. anyone got the link to GST ?
Old 01-05-2007, 03:51 AM
Hurray, it's Ian!!

Car Info: 2002 MBP WRX Sedan
subscribed for further developments...

im glad i dealt with them while Mike and Preston were still there. I don't think I've really talked to anyone else over there.
Old 01-05-2007, 04:06 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: looking for a gc
Originally Posted by wrxguy
damn i just got dicked by them too. I wasnt going to post anything because gruppe-s were coo way back back then. but recently I ordered a whole new ewg setup from them, hearing from gary himself that it fits perfectly and there shouldn't be any fitment issues or anything, so I paid them cash .. CASH... probably like 3-4 days later I bring it to gst to get it installed, and once the mechanic saw the product, he told me this whole setup was designed horribly and the gaskets dont even matchup. The items were never installed, just the bubble wrap was ripped off of it. I take the stuff back to gruppe-s, which is like 5mins away and try to return it and get my money back. then gary steps in and says uh we can take it back but I am going to have to charge you a 25% restocking fee.... WTF? you can just put a new bubble wrap on it and tape it back up like all the other return items you guys have. I tell him it was never installed and I bought it like 4 days ago, but still he says hes going to have charge me something for returning it..(I just think thats a bad way to dick your customers over, I mean I bought almost all my parts from them and never returned or complain about anything).... plus the new guys don't seem to know what they are talking about. As for the mechanic at gruppe-s.. doesnt he work on hondas?

oh well, im done with them. +1 for gst haha
wow to everything.. oh and the last part of your comment... if a guy cant fix my suby i would never let him touch my honda.. haha
Old 01-05-2007, 06:17 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
I think everyone has been foaming at the mouth waiting for developments on the Gruppe-s exodus. It is apparent many of the reasons why the good people left or were forced out still linger.
Gruppe-s get your chit together. The new kid on the block has already stolen your thunder, customer base, and support. I hear echos of S2 and i-speed.
Old 01-05-2007, 06:49 AM

Car Info: 04 Forester XT/96 Brighton Project
Originally Posted by ipozestu
I think everyone has been foaming at the mouth waiting for developments on the Gruppe-s exodus. It is apparent many of the reasons why the good people left or were forced out still linger.
Gruppe-s get your chit together. The new kid on the block has already stolen your thunder, customer base, and support. I hear echos of S2 and i-speed.
ROFLMAO @ S2 & i-Speed

Yeah I'm really lucky/greatful when I got my clutch done at GS last year when Mike was still there and the guys in that dept were pretty nice/helpful. When I thought there was an issue with my clutch install and Mike was on vacation they were all really helpful taking a look at my car and I later found out the issue wasn't a result of the install. It turned out to be an old clutch slave cylinder going out due to age. So yea...+1 for GST... - eleventy billion to Gruppe-S
Old 01-05-2007, 07:37 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
VVV
Old 01-05-2007, 07:55 AM

Car Info: 04 Forester XT/96 Brighton Project
Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
VVV
Old 01-05-2007, 08:05 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Oh the fickle public... Whodathunk the day would come when Gruppe-S isn't cool on i-club.

Personally I am not seeing anything on here that didn't happen 2 years ago, but whatever. Must suck to suddenly not be cool though - I guess it's time for accountability now.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:07 AM

Car Info: '09 accord, '14 2 seater chevy
A few more points to this. When I paid for the clutch and setup for install I asked specifically about the pedal being heavy and smooth engagement because I was actually leaning towards the Exedy organic because I'm getting on in years and my knee has been giving me problems lately, the good news is with san jose commuter traffic my quad should be HUGE on my left leg in the near future. As I said previously, I've had ACT clutches before, which is why I was a tad apprehensive to get this one, but I never had this exact model and the salesman pulled the "well I have this exact model on my car, and you can barely tell its not stock.

Also, the chatter isn't that bad, well it is absolutely awful if I try to slip the clutch like normal, but if I slip it at 4k like the mechanic was doing yesterday it isn't bad.

After a 30min trip this morning to take my son to school, the damn thing is still burning off gear lube and stinking like hell.

I've had mistakes at mechanics before but I've never had this shadetree mechanic act at a "professional" shop before. Something like my exhaust being dented, the mechanic would fess up before I caught it. I've had problems at Gruppe-S before but the problems were handled so well by Mike, if anything it endeared me to them. If I wasn't so damn lazy I'd do the work myself, but you'll find as you get older, your time is far more valuable than spending it hunkered down doing routine maintenance, plus give me a small block V8 any day to work on over these new motors with hoses coming from every nook and cranny I took my car to them expecting professional service and what I got in return was so sub par I'm debating what my next actions will be.

Last edited by illusion; 01-05-2007 at 08:17 AM. Reason: to add a bit more content, and to fix my crap spelling

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: -1 for Gruppe-S