Vendor, Tuning, Service, and Parts Review Feel free to discuss vendor experiences but please don't use the forum as your own private soapbox to perpetually bash specific vendors.

Cygnus Performance X-1 Coilovers Review

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 01:26 PM

Car Info: 2005 Forester XT
Cygnus Performance X-1 Coilovers Review

• This is my review of the Cygnus Performance X-1 Coilovers. They are made in collaboration with Cygnus Performance and Fortune Auto. They are like the Fortune Auto 510’s but with completely different valving. The setup I got were for my 05 Forester XT. So they are 04 STI fitment with 8k front and 7k rear. I have experience with a few different coilover setups, ksport, BC racing, tein. Before these I was running a Koni yellow setup with ground controls. I was looking for a setup that is a little more comfortable and had more adjustment.

Note: Just as a note it is great to deal with Cygnus Performance they always have great prices and always get parts to me super fast even though they are east coast. Great service and great prices!

About the Cygnus Performance X-1 Coilover’s:
• Monotube construction for superior performance, durability and a wider range of damping adjustment
• Digressive valving which allows the shock to both ride and perform better than traditional linear valving
• Independent ride height control which does not affect pre-load or travel
• 2 different top hat options unique to these coilovers, both of which offer increased negative camber and Koyo Japan radial bearings
• 100% rebuildable and revalvable in the USA quickly and for a reasonable cost
• Valving that has been specifically developed for these applications and the spring rates we offer. This is critical for both performance and ride quality.
• Hand built in the USA from Taiwanese and Japanese components
• All shocks are individually dynoed to ensure consistency and performance
• 100% synthetic oil used in all shocks for durability and longevity
• An unrivaled 5 year warranty (1 year on pistons)
• Black bodies and top hats for an understated look. Our Cygnus Performance stickers come right off if you want a stealthy look.
• Industry leading tech support both before and after the sale.

Driving Impression

They feel really good compared to most coilovers that I have used or rode in. They handle bumps really well small and big. The only difference I see between these coilovers and the others is that I should have gotten the swift spring upgrade. My girlfriend has the BC racing BR coilovers with the swift springs and they are way more comfortable for daily driving and handle bumps a lot better.
As for the stock fortune auto springs that are on there they handle everything else really well. The adjustments are very nice and you can feel a difference with each adjustment you make. I currently daily drive with them on full soft and when I want to do some fun runs or autox I set them for 13 in front and 15 in the rear. I do still have to play with more adjustments but I have to get to autox a little more.

Conclusion:
Overall they are really good coilovers with nice valving compared to BC BR’s and Ksports. I find that they had everything really well at all different ranges of settings. They are easy to install and setup. Very nice looking a quality built. Id recommend these to anyone.

Old 10-25-2013, 09:48 PM

Car Info: o10 swp wrx
Thanks for the write up! Glad to see others running these other than the STI. I'm ordering mine for my 2010 wrx and hope these feel great especially for track. Ordering mine with swift springs to replace my BC BRs. After talking with Geoff a bit about different brands such as FA and Feal and the GTWORX/Bilstein setup I decided to go with his X-1. I like the valving and the setup from them. Looking forward to getting mine.