Notices
Vendor, Tuning, Service, and Parts Review Feel free to discuss vendor experiences but please don't use the forum as your own private soapbox to perpetually bash specific vendors.

Methanol system?

Old 10-25-2013, 09:47 AM

Methanol system?

I was told about a methanol system that is supposed to frost the turbo. Does anyone know anything about this, or has done this?
Old 10-25-2013, 10:04 AM

Car Info: 05 wrx wagon, 90 celica alltrac, 66 mustang
Water/Methanol injection systems spray an atomized mixture of water/methanol into the combustion chamber. This provides cooling through the evaporative properties of water. The methanol provides a boost in octane. This alone does nothing to add power however it can allow you to run higher boost pressures that will in turn make higher power with all supporting mods. So unless you are extensively modifying the car I do not see a reason to do it. This is my understanding of water/meth injection please correct me if I am wrong.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:13 PM

It doesn't go into the combustion chamber, it's sprayed into you intake before throttle body so the air is dramatically cooled meaning you can gain more power. You have to tune for it of course.
Old 10-26-2013, 11:19 AM

I appreciate the info. The way it was explained to me was exactly like the second answer.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:30 PM

Car Info: LUMPY CGM 05 WRX
There is a meth vs e85 thread here

https://www.i-club.com/forums/engine...vs-e85-247007/

Not really what you are looking for but some comparisons. there is a significant thread in that other forum NASIOC....

are you just curious or thinking of doing this?
Old 10-29-2013, 01:11 PM

Car Info: 04 wagon
Ive ran meth on my past couple of cars that are daily drivers. If you have any questions just let me know. In short, its almost like having race gas on demand. Stay in low boost with your every day driving and it will never spray or act like its even there. Put the pedal to the floor and start hitting higher boost and the meth comes in.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:04 AM

K. If the meth doesn't kick in all the time, would the high boost meth shots warp the turbo because it is being cooled too fast?
Old 11-04-2013, 11:06 AM

This is just an idea for the future. I'm working on making my car more sturdy before I really put the horse power to it. The reasoning is because I have four years left on my payments.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:35 PM

Car Info: 04 wagon
Originally Posted by casemam View Post
K. If the meth doesn't kick in all the time, would the high boost meth shots warp the turbo because it is being cooled too fast?
Nope, your engine will appreciate the cold breathe of air instead of heat when properly used. Meth is corrosive so you want to make sure you have it setup correctly and the injectors are atomizing the way they should be. If its setup incorrectly you could end up with the meth pooling in areas and causing damage from sitting. If you set it up correctly it works very well. My 2 kits have never given me any trouble or problems. With my 2 cars thats about 3 years of daily driven on it.