Ongoing Projects Want to share your ongoing Subaru project with the rest of Subaru Community? Tell us what you did, how you did it and what else are you going to do.

Speedmonkee Performance Chimney Heat Shield Review

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2004, 09:09 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '03 WRX Sedan
Speedmonkee Performance Chimney Heat Shield Review

Speedmonkee Chimney Heat Shield Review

Well I've been waiting for this for a long time and it finally came a few weeks ago, just in time for my spring break so I decided to do a nice write-up about the product. First let me say that Jeremy's service over at SMP is stupendous. Contact through the whole transaction and shipping was prompt and fast.

First impressions out of the box, VERY nice craftsmanship. Cuts are clean, bolts/rivets/whatevers are easily removable but very stable. Weather stripping on the top where it seals against the stock splitter is durable. Only saw the one bolt in the box, which pleased me since this will take seconds to install/uninstall in the future.

Installation was a breeze. Slide it over the turbo, with the intercooler bracket going through the hole in the chimney. If you look at it, extremely easy to understand. Screw the bolt in the existing outer spot on the IC bracket and you are good to go. Watch the edges though... they're kinda sharp! The engine bay bling factor is a plus. Lots of Subie people and random people at the track complimenting me on the heat shield, asking me where I bought it or if I fabricated it myself.

Here's a nice engine bay shot:

Here you can see right through where the heat rises up, notice my Stromung DP :devil: :

Initial impressions at the track. I made 4 drag passes; 3 of them were within 30 minutes of one another, which equals pretty much no cool down time. I pop the hood in the staging lanes and touch the turbo side of my IC... nothing. Slight, SLIGHT heat but nothing as bad as the heat soak I'm used to on hard track/drag days. With the hood closed, you can see the heat waves coming from only the passenger side of the hood scoop. If you put your hand up to the scoop, it's hot air coming from the pass. side and nothing from the rest of the scoop, which is pretty much how it's designed. It isolates the heat well and lets it rise out the top.

I wish I had a temperature probe to measure before/after installation temps, but I'm not that into reviewing it for you guys, hehe. Overall, it's well worth the price, IMHO. Hope you enjoyed the thorough review. Any questions feel free to ask!

-Mike

Here's an artistic shot for kicks:

Old 03-23-2004, 09:40 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Subaru Impreza WRX 2002
Wow, that's impressive. This thread belongs in the EJ20 forum, not the gallery.

Do you have to remove the stock heat shield from the turbo? Would this fit an engine that was otherwise stock (stock IC, turbo and DP)?

$175 is a great deal. This might be my next mod!
Old 03-23-2004, 09:47 PM
VIP Member

Yea last time I put something in that forum regarding engine, they moved it here like I was showing it off... weird. MODS MOVE ME!! =)

As for the stock heat shield, Jeremy @ SMP told me that 2-3 of his customers have fit this WITH the stock heat shield. I actually did it too, but installed a DP 2 days later so I took off the stock heaty. This will fit ANY DP on the market, from the TXS 4" wide bellmouth to the stocker. This is designed FOR the stock IC, and will not work with wider aftermarket IC's.
Old 03-23-2004, 09:50 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 Subaru WRX w/ JDM Spec C
i actually think it belongs in reviews section
Old 03-23-2004, 09:53 PM
VIP Member

Originally posted by nic3krnnamja83
i actually think it belongs in reviews section
That's the thing... WHERE is that? Every other Subie site has it, but not this one.
Old 03-24-2004, 07:27 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 CGM WRX Wagon
The reviews section:

https://www.i-club.com/reviews/index.php
Old 03-24-2004, 08:23 AM
VIP Member

Ahhh it's not in the forum jump.. it's a whole other part of the site. Thank you!