Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Virginia Tech... shooter's motivation?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 05:09 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX Sedan & 2008 GMC Sierra 4x4
Originally Posted by MVWRX
In the video I saw he compared himself to Christ, and the only rumors I've heard about him being involved with Islam at all are from you.
Yeah in the video he references the martyrs Dylan and Eric, ala the Columbine killers.

I really think he was just crazy.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=N41ta9n-0T0

Last edited by SilverScoober02; 04-19-2007 at 08:02 AM.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:30 AM

Car Info: 2005 Impreza WRX STi
Originally Posted by jvick125
I don't know what's been said, but it looks like it was good... Anyway, figured I'd throw in my two cents and link you to a video:

Do gun laws need to be revised? YES. I did not know green card holders could legally purchase a firearm in the U.S. I think that needs to be changed. That's all I have to say about that.

Here is a somewhat chilling video of the shooting. It doesn't show anything, but you can hear the shots and see Police running around:
The Movie
That's scary, to imagine and know that someone is dieing everytime a gunshot is heard is just plan errrrieee....... what i want to know is that, was all the shots heard in that video came all from the gunman....or did the police open fire as well?

Especially that last shot....which is louder than the others....
Old 04-19-2007, 09:45 AM

Car Info: 72 Vespa with curb feelers
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070419/..._tech_shooting

turns out he's an innocent victim
Old 04-19-2007, 11:18 AM

Car Info: 05 STi
Originally Posted by RIP99RS
That's scary, to imagine and know that someone is dieing everytime a gunshot is heard is just plan errrrieee....... what i want to know is that, was all the shots heard in that video came all from the gunman....or did the police open fire as well?

Especially that last shot....which is louder than the others....

As morbid as it is, resonance plays a big role in what gun shots sound like. If he finished it the way I think he did that'd explain why it was louder.
Old 04-19-2007, 11:46 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Originally Posted by HellaDumb
Yeah right....

I used to be in charge of this gem: http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/745492/posts Probably mentioned it here before. At least they caught him before he did something crazy.

He was the same exact way. Got picked on when he came from Russia. When he was in my platoon me and a majority of the platoon tried to take him under our wings but he refused. I invited him to drink, to dinner, to movies, to ride in my car instead of his old bike. Nothing. Instead, he sat in the corner of his bare room literally staring at the wall or reading old classics. People like this choose to be this way. ****'em
Old 04-19-2007, 11:57 AM
VIP Member

Think of what Prof. Librescu must have seen, and survived during the Holocaust. And this kid thinks he had it rough? I have no sympathy whatsoever. Turns out that Prof. Librescu was the hero afterall... he supposedly helped some kids escape. He was no stranger to dealing with evil. Glad to see that there was some verifiable heroism taking place.

RIP to him.

Old 04-19-2007, 12:28 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
Originally Posted by 06WRX4ME
this is why you shouldnt make fun of people

to there face
haha dumb *** it "thier face"

i hope everyone caught that awsome joke
Old 04-19-2007, 05:52 PM

Car Info: Stock Legacy Turbo Wagon Silver
Originally Posted by RIP99RS
Suggestion to congress, rise the age to 25+ for gun ownership and make gun purchaser provide some sort of out of school background (i.e non student) or proof of work documents, etc.....

What makes you think that would work? The kids at Columbine were not old enough to purchase firearms, yet somehow miraculously they were able to get them. Perhaps it would work because somehow criminals would obey that law as opposed to all the other laws? Laws are not some sort of magical mind control that gets criminals to obey them. Laws only work on people that obey them, aka the "law abiding".
Old 04-20-2007, 05:36 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX Sedan & 2008 GMC Sierra 4x4
It seems to me that what needs to happen is they need to tighten up enforcement of the gun laws already in place. The criminal background checks need to also include (as they are supposed to) the state mental history.

pyscho should not have been allowed to purchase those guns because he was deemed a danger to himself by a shrink. Because the state didn't report him being detained and found to be a danger to himself it never got put into the NICS database that the FBI runs.

I don't know exactly how the law works but if he tried to buy a gun and got denied because he has been deemed mentally unstable wouldn't the gun shop report that someone that was crazy tried to buy a gun?

I know he probably would have gotten the guns illegally if he couldn't purchase them, but at least it would have been harder for him to get his hands on them, and isn't that all we can do without infringing on law-abiding citizens rights?

I am actually in the market for my first pistol and I wouldn't mind one bit if they ran a psych-eval on me. I got nothing to hide.
Old 04-20-2007, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by MVWRX
I didn't know I could usurp a document...that's amazing...

I would suggest, though, that tightening gun regulation CAN in fact reduce gun violence. This is why: if you make it so you can't own guns as easily, the legal demand for them goes down. Then it becomes unprofitable for gun manufacturers to do business. Because we are in a capitalist society, unprofitablility leads to decreased production. Decreased production leads to decreased numbers of weapons, which clearly leads to decreased distribution (legal or illegal), which in turn leads to less gun violence. That's my angle, not that restrictions will take guns out of the hands of criminals; I understand completely that criminals will get guns regardless of the laws...unless, of course, they simply aren't any of them around for the criminals to aquire.

I'm sorry but the genie will not return to its bottle. You think that if you legistlate a stop to the production of firearms that the remaining firearms will simply "dry up"? How long in this theoretical process of yours before there is an actual drop in firearm related homicides? You make a lot of assumptions but the unknowns are too great for there to be any real basis for your theory. Its not as simple as your 1+2=3 solution.
Old 04-20-2007, 01:50 PM

Maybe some more of those toys for guns drives is all we need. I'm sure they'll continue to have killers line up to trade their guns in for some A's tickets.
Old 04-21-2007, 12:40 AM
VIP Member

A major part of the problem: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ospNRk2uM3U

"a shoulder thing that goes up?" wtf? unbelievable.

Last edited by Salty; 04-21-2007 at 12:46 AM.
Old 04-21-2007, 01:31 AM

Car Info: 2005 Impreza WRX STi
Originally Posted by deyes
What makes you think that would work? The kids at Columbine were not old enough to purchase firearms, yet somehow miraculously they were able to get them. Perhaps it would work because somehow criminals would obey that law as opposed to all the other laws? Laws are not some sort of magical mind control that gets criminals to obey them. Laws only work on people that obey them, aka the "law abiding".
I agree with on what you are saying on the point that when someone (criminal) wants a gun bad enough, they can find ways to acquire it regardless whether it was purchase legally or illegally..... but in the case of Virginia tech, this guy was looney, he was not a criminal before he committed the crime, therefore his record checked out fine.... my point is.... wtf would any gun seller sell a 23 year old a firearm.... did it ever occur to the gun seller as to why he would need the gun in the first place? (for business? Pleasure?)