Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Virginia Tech... shooter's motivation?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 01:02 PM

Car Info: '05 Crystal Grey Metallic WRX Sport Wagon
Wink

I didn't know I could usurp a document...that's amazing...

I would suggest, though, that tightening gun regulation CAN in fact reduce gun violence. This is why: if you make it so you can't own guns as easily, the legal demand for them goes down. Then it becomes unprofitable for gun manufacturers to do business. Because we are in a capitalist society, unprofitablility leads to decreased production. Decreased production leads to decreased numbers of weapons, which clearly leads to decreased distribution (legal or illegal), which in turn leads to less gun violence. That's my angle, not that restrictions will take guns out of the hands of criminals; I understand completely that criminals will get guns regardless of the laws...unless, of course, they simply aren't any of them around for the criminals to aquire.

Last edited by MVWRX; 04-17-2007 at 01:10 PM.
Old 04-17-2007, 01:29 PM

The news is reporting that the guns were legally bought and owned by the shooter now.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:21 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
Originally Posted by MVWRX

I would suggest, though, that tightening gun regulation CAN in fact reduce gun violence. This is why: if you make it so you can't own guns as easily, the legal demand for them goes down. Then it becomes unprofitable for gun manufacturers to do business. Because we are in a capitalist society, unprofitablility leads to decreased production. Decreased production leads to decreased numbers of weapons, which clearly leads to decreased distribution (legal or illegal), which in turn leads to less gun violence. That's my angle, not that restrictions will take guns out of the hands of criminals; I understand completely that criminals will get guns regardless of the laws...unless, of course, they simply aren't any of them around for the criminals to aquire.
You honestly think less guns = less gun crime?
Old 04-17-2007, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by BAN SUVS
You honestly think less guns = less gun crime?

How wouldn't that correlate?

Would those who do have guns up their attacks to compensate for less criminals having guns?
Old 04-17-2007, 03:20 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2008 EVO X/1991 Nissan Skyline GT-R32
not sure if anyone else will see this, but the ad on the bottom of the page is for airsof and airsplat guns. how ironic.
Old 04-17-2007, 03:29 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
More Guns, Less Crime.
Old 04-17-2007, 03:46 PM

How wouldn't that correlate?

Would those who do have guns up their attacks to compensate for less criminals having guns?
How does making it harder for potential criminals to legally own guns make it harder for them to illegally possess them and illegally use them?
Old 04-17-2007, 04:14 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Legacy GT

Capitalistic economics state that if people (law abiding or criminals) want them, they will be produced. Somewhere, somehow, guns will continue to be produced from now until the end of time, there is really no way around that fact. Militaries need them, police need them, etcetera. Second, unless the US somehow is able to become a totalitarian ruler of the whole world, there is no way tightening gun regulations in the US can affect worldwide production. We are part of the global economy, and its not just simple capitalism anymore.
Old 04-17-2007, 04:15 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
this thread has gone completely off the rails

i love it

paul @ DB tuned vs ban suvs

best one in a while
Old 04-17-2007, 04:26 PM

Car Info: '97 Legacy
apparently jack thompson is already playing the video game angle on this one....
Old 04-17-2007, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by sigma pi
this thread has gone completely off the rails

i love it

paul @ DB tuned vs ban suvs

best one in a while
And, WHEEE!
Old 04-17-2007, 08:53 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '00 RS, Subrosa Letum
Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
Thank you.

If one of the kids sitting in class was carrying a gun maybe less people would have died.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by BAN SUVS
How does making it harder for potential criminals to legally own guns make it harder for them to illegally possess them and illegally use them?

By decreasing how many are produced in total. However, the points in the tread about foreign manufacturers makes my idea useless...

the real blame of course is on the individual. In this case, several people knew he was nuts, though, and could have done more to prevent this I think. Who knows if he would have been able to get a gun if the stores wouldn't sell to him because he was nuts...it does seem like he was pretty motivated to aquire weapons though.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:17 PM

Anybody who wants a gun, can get a gun.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:53 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Here he is: http://apnews.myway.com/article/20070417/D8OIHK281.html

Quick Reply: Virginia Tech... shooter's motivation?