Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Virginia Tech... shooter's motivation?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 05:40 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
Originally Posted by MVWRX
I think it does. Especially the psych eval. Too nuts, no gun. Likely to go nuts, no gun.
The flaw here is the belief that only imbalanced peopel are criminals. Many violent criems are comitted by people with no history of or indication of propensity for violence. More importantly, what possible criteria can be set to determine who will not get permission to carry a weapon? If I'v enever undergone required psychiatric evaluation, and never comitted a crime, does that mean I'm eligible? What grounds can you have for denying my right to own a weapon if I've never broken the law?
Old 04-16-2007, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
A gun is a tool.
More people are killed each year from alcohol, cars than from guns.
Why not ban cars?
Cars don;'t kill people. Except SUVs, which also kill penguins and kittens.
Old 04-16-2007, 05:57 PM

Car Info: '05 Crystal Grey Metallic WRX Sport Wagon
Originally Posted by BAN SUVS
The flaw here is the belief that only imbalanced peopel are criminals. Many violent criems are comitted by people with no history of or indication of propensity for violence. More importantly, what possible criteria can be set to determine who will not get permission to carry a weapon? If I'v enever undergone required psychiatric evaluation, and never comitted a crime, does that mean I'm eligible? What grounds can you have for denying my right to own a weapon if I've never broken the law?

It would make it so there are two ways to get yourself dissallowed from gunu ownership: 1) you are a criminal already, and 2) you are not stable enough to trust with a gun. This won't make it so EVERYONE who has a gun won't kill someone, but it will help.
What grounds can you have for denying anyone the right to drive, or to fly a plane, or to go scuba diving if they've never broken the law? Oh that's right...if someone sucks and/or doesn't have training, they can't do those things legally...THOSE are the grounds I have to deny you ownership of a weapon if you've never broken the law...
Old 04-16-2007, 06:14 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '00 RS, Subrosa Letum
The shooter isn't always the registered owner of the gun. Making it harder for a "qualified" person to own a gun doesn't mean that its harder for a someone to steal it.
Besides, the issue here is about one person's psychological "flaws" and their willingness to cause harm. Guns don't kill people, people kill people. The method in which this tragedy was carried out should not be the focus. The reason it was carried out should be.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:18 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
I think it does. Especially the psych eval. Too nuts, no gun. Likely to go nuts, no gun.

It's purely speculation that the guy had illegal guns.
I wouldn't mind seeing this happen but like BAN SUVs said... it wouldn't keep the crazies and criminals from having guns. Think about all those that cannot legally have guns because it'll violate probation or because of felonies. It doesn't keep them from having access to them. Owning a firearm is a privilege just like driving but that doesn't keep those with revoked licenses from driving.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:33 PM

Car Info: Sline
Originally Posted by BAN SUVS
Cars don;'t kill people. Except SUVs, which also kill penguins and kittens.
Stand in front of my legacy, and let me hit you at 60mph, and we'll see if you survive.

SUVs save lives too... (for the people inside).
Old 04-16-2007, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by jvick125
Stand in front of my legacy, and let me hit you at 60mph, and we'll see if you survive.

SUVs save lives too... (for the people inside).
Your sarcasm meter needs calibration.

Additionally, SUVs are far less safer than cars in single vehicle accidents. Not to mention what happens to someone who isn't driving 3000 extra pounds of vehicle around when you hit them with one.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:44 PM

It would make it so there are two ways to get yourself dissallowed from gunu ownership: 1) you are a criminal already, and 2) you are not stable enough to trust with a gun. This won't make it so EVERYONE who has a gun won't kill someone, but it will help.
What grounds can you have for denying anyone the right to drive, or to fly a plane, or to go scuba diving if they've never broken the law? Oh that's right...if someone sucks and/or doesn't have training, they can't do those things legally...THOSE are the grounds I have to deny you ownership of a weapon if you've never broken the law...
The "training" you refer to is required in most places to get a CCW permit. I've been through it in California, it's pretty thorough. More importantly, I say again- how do you define "mental instability" in a person who has never committed a crime or been ordered to undergo psychotherapy? What are you supposed to catch in a routine screening that wil reliably weed out the psychos from the normal people in a state-required mental screening? It's impossible. You can't set up reasonable standards for denying non-criminal people gun ownership, you can only make them aware of the consequences of using it inappropriately or irresposibly. You cannot cannot CANNOT expect to prevent tradegies like today's shootings through legislation. You think this guy is telling St. peter "oh, sorry Pete, I didn't know it was wrong to kill 33 people before killing myself?" So do you think that guy cares if you make it illegal for him to own a weapon, assuming he would have failed your proposed screening process in the first place?

Point is, your suggestion of psychological screening and longer waiting periods would not save a single, solitary life and would inconveneince hundreds of thousands of perfectly normal, sane, law-abiding people.
Old 04-17-2007, 01:34 AM
VIP Member

Why not: http://greensickle.com/2007/04/virgi...grounds_1.html
Old 04-17-2007, 09:04 AM

Car Info: 72 Vespa with curb feelers
So the guy is South Korean.... I wonder what made him go nuts like that.

I guess he's breaking stereotypes... how many white serial killers ever made it to >30 victims?
Old 04-17-2007, 10:05 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Firearms a privilege!?!?!
Last time I read the Bill of Rights, firearm ownership is a right.

WTF is wrong with you anti gun types; as soon as an incident like this happens, y'all blame guns.
Yet, when an old man, a crazed Muslim, ar a drunk frat boi kills people with a car, the person is blamed?

Yes, a gun is a tool designed to kill people.
And most guns are capable tools.
However, it's the person that decides the target.

The only object that deserves blame is the person.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by George Washington
A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite
The second amendment does not give YOU the right to bear arms Paul. However, there is no logical reason for the government to deny you the privelege of owning them until you **** it up for yourself.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:24 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Legacy GT
We should just get to the root of the problem and ban Koreans.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:25 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX Sedan & 2008 GMC Sierra 4x4
Originally Posted by nKoan
We should just get to the root of the problem and ban Koreans.
Round em up and put them in internment camps. I mean thats what we would be talking about if it were a muslim right?(well some of us)
Old 04-17-2007, 10:35 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
Firearms a privilege!?!?!
Last time I read the Bill of Rights, firearm ownership is a right.
I used the term privilege because your right to own a firearm can be stripped. That's all...

Quick Reply: Virginia Tech... shooter's motivation?