Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Virginia Tech... shooter's motivation?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 10:38 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Originally Posted by nKoan
We should just get to the root of the problem and ban Koreans.
And those sneaky little JDM types.

Also, why didn't anyone on campus, meaning fellow students, do anything to stop him?
Old 04-17-2007, 10:42 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX Sedan & 2008 GMC Sierra 4x4
Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
Also, why didn't anyone on campus, meaning fellow students, do anything to stop him?
I think that is an easy question to ask in hindsight, but a totally different story when someone is shooting at you and your classmates.

That said, it would have been a nicer end to the story if a group of students had pinned this guy down and beat him to within an inch of his life before he had the chance to do the damage he did though. Then they probably would have gotten sued for violating his rights though...
Old 04-17-2007, 10:46 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

And for you veal calves...

A = Used before terms, such as few or many, that denote number, amount, quantity, or degree
well = Skillfully or proficiently
regulated = 1. To control or direct according to rule, principle, or law.
2. To put or maintain in order.
militia =
1. An army composed of ordinary citizens rather than professional soldiers.
2. A military force that is not part of a regular army and is subject to call for service in an emergency.
3. The whole body of physically fit civilians eligible by law for military service.
being = To seem to consist or be made of
necessary =
1. Absolutely essential.
2. Needed to achieve a certain result or effect; requisite.
3. Unavoidably determined by prior conditions or circumstances; Logically inevitable.
4. Required by obligation, compulsion, or convention.
to =
1. In a direction toward so as to reach.
2. Reaching as far as.
3. To the extent or degree of.
4. With the resultant condition of.
5. Toward a given state.
the =
1. Used before a noun, and generally stressed, to emphasize one of a group or type as the most outstanding or prominent.
2. Used before a noun specifying a field of endeavor.
security =
1. Freedom from risk or danger; safety.
2. Freedom from doubt, anxiety, or fear; confidence.
of =
1. Derived or coming from; originating at or from.
2. Caused by; resulting from.
a = Used before nouns and noun phrases that denote a single but unspecified person or thing: a region; a person.
free =
1. Not imprisoned or enslaved; being at liberty.
2. Not controlled by obligation or the will of another.
state =
1. A condition or mode of being, as with regard to circumstances.
2. A condition of being in a stage or form, as of structure, growth, or development.
3. A mental or emotional condition.
4. A condition of excitement or distress.
5. The condition of a physical system with regard to phase, form, composition, or structure.
6. The supreme public power within a sovereign political entity.
7. A body politic, especially one constituting a nation.
com·ma =
1. Grammar. A punctuation mark ( , ) used to indicate a separation of ideas or of elements within the structure of a sentence.
2. A pause or separation; a caesura.
the =
1. Used before a noun, and generally stressed, to emphasize one of a group or type as the most outstanding or prominent.
right =
1. That which is just, morally good, legal, proper, or fitting.
2. Something that is due to a person or governmental body by law, tradition, or nature.
of = 1. Derived or coming from; originating at or from.
the = 1. Used before a noun, and generally stressed, to emphasize one of a group or type as the most outstanding or prominent.
people = Humans considered as a group or in indefinite numbers.
to =
1. In a direction toward so as to reach.
2. Reaching as far as.
3. To the extent or degree of.
4. With the resultant condition of.
5. Toward a given state.
keep =
1. To retain possession of.
2. To have as a supply.
3. To maintain for use or service.
4. To manage, tend, or have charge of.
5. To cause to continue in a state, condition, or course of action.
6. To save; reserve.
7. To adhere or conform to.
8. To remain in a state or condition.
and = Together with or along with; in addition to; as well as. Used to connect words, phrases, or clauses that have the same grammatical function in a construction.
bear =
1. To hold up; support.
2. To carry from one place to another.
3. To be accountable for; assume.
4. To exert pressure, force, or influence.
5. To advance in a threatening manner.
6. To apply maximum effort and concentration.
arms = A weapon, especially a firearm.
shall =
1. Used before a verb in the infinitive to show:
a. Something that will take place or exist in the future.
b. Something, such as an order, promise, requirement, or obligation.
c. The will to do something or have something take place.
2. Archaic;
a. To be able to.
b. To have to; must.
not = In no way; to no degree. Used to express negation, denial, refusal, or prohibition.
be =
1. To exist in actuality; have life or reality.
2. To occupy a specified position.
3. To take place; occur
4. To remain in a certain state or situation undisturbed, untouched, or unmolested.
infringed = to encroach upon in a way that violates law or the rights of another.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:52 AM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
And for you veal calves...

A = Used before terms, such as few or many, that denote number, amount, quantity, or degree
well = Skillfully or proficiently
regulated = 1. To control or direct according to rule, principle, or law.
2. To put or maintain in order.
militia =
1. An army composed of ordinary citizens rather than professional soldiers.
2. A military force that is not part of a regular army and is subject to call for service in an emergency.
3. The whole body of physically fit civilians eligible by law for military service.
Which Militia are you in Paul? Who regulates you?
Old 04-17-2007, 11:08 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Originally Posted by BAN SUVS
Which Militia are you in Paul? Who regulates you?
Look...you can't pick & choose which words/meanings of the Constitution/Bill of Rights you agree with.

Read the entire sentence.

If you are still dillusional, my 7 yr old son can help you diagram a sentence.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:25 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

And to answer your question, the same millitia that you're in.

More help for you public school graduates:

The Second Amendment is split by commas into four phrases, the last of which is a verbal phrase starting with the verb "shall":

"A well regulated Militia,
being necessary to the security of a free state,
the right of the people to keep and bear Arms,
shall not be infringed."

The first two phrases are related to each other.
The fact that the third phrase is separated from the verbal phrase by a comma indicates that the verbal phrase has more than the third phrase as its subject.

The abbreviated grammatical construction actually renders the meaning of the Second Amendment as:

"Neither a well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, nor the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall be infringed."
Old 04-17-2007, 11:26 AM

Apparently I understand the sentence better than you do Paul.

Secure, free state (nation) needs armed militia. Militia needs people. Amendment 2 = people in the militia (National Guard, regulated by the states) get guns provided they are "well-regulated" and the Feds can't say squat about it. You know, in case the Feds **** up bad enough that the states want to toss them overboard. That, and the fact that denying our military reserves, which in the late 18th century was Farmer John and Farmer Tom and their sons, the ability to possess firearms would make it somewhat difficult to defend 18th-century America from foreign invasion.

The reasoning behind the second amendment was that we had just won our independence by sending a bunch of hack farmers out to battle with their muskets. They wanted to make sure that the next time America revolted, it wouldn't be with rocks and arrows.

Now I ask you; do you need a clause in the law of the federal government protecting your "right" to bear arms, in case you revolt? If you are revolting, why do you give a damn if the government says you can't have a gun? You gonna drive 65 to your militia meetings too?

Now, bear in mind Paul that I am not denying that you are entitled to own guns. I'm pointing out that your entitlement does not stem from the Second Amendment. It comes from the simple fact that America has always had a culture and tradition of people owning firearms for the right reasons (hunting, sport, self-defense) and there is no reason for the federal government to deny you, Paul, that privelege until like I previously said, you screw it up for yourself.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:38 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry

Weird huh?

A room full of students could easily apprehend a man with two pistols. Even if it meant one or two of them getting hit with a stray bullet it sure beat the inevitable slaughter that was about to take place or was actually happening.

Sorta proves the old assumption that the situation does not make the man... an old debate i'm sure you've heard about when talking about gallantry. I wonder if anyone tried to stop him? The professor?
Old 04-17-2007, 11:45 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
But at the end of the day I cannot judge the victims. I'd much rather judge us as a ***** society for allowing them to think that looking away or crawling under a desk with hopes of not receiving a bullet is the way to go.

And it'll happen ALL over again. Why? Because people will think this guy's serious mental problem is a societal problem. "He needed more love and cuddling as a child." Bull****! Instead you need to ****ing grow a pair to keep the occasional lunatic from taking control of the situation.

Last edited by Salty; 04-17-2007 at 11:53 AM.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:53 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Originally Posted by BAN SUVS
Apparently I understand the sentence better than you do Paul.

Secure, free state (nation) needs armed militia. Militia needs people. Amendment 2 = people in the militia (National Guard, regulated by the states) get guns provided they are "well-regulated" and the Feds can't say squat about it. You know, in case the Feds **** up bad enough that the states want to toss them overboard. That, and the fact that denying our military reserves, which in the late 18th century was Farmer John and Farmer Tom and their sons, the ability to possess firearms would make it somewhat difficult to defend 18th-century America from foreign invasion.

The reasoning behind the second amendment was that we had just won our independence by sending a bunch of hack farmers out to battle with their muskets. They wanted to make sure that the next time America revolted, it wouldn't be with rocks and arrows.

Now I ask you; do you need a clause in the law of the federal government protecting your "right" to bear arms, in case you revolt? If you are revolting, why do you give a damn if the government says you can't have a gun? You gonna drive 65 to your militia meetings too?

Now, bear in mind Paul that I am not denying that you are entitled to own guns. I'm pointing out that your entitlement does not stem from the Second Amendment. It comes from the simple fact that America has always had a culture and tradition of people owning firearms for the right reasons (hunting, sport, self-defense) and there is no reason for the federal government to deny you, Paul, that privelege until like I previously said, you screw it up for yourself.

Help me help you.

The line that I've bolded...is this your thought/belief of what the 2nd means?
Old 04-17-2007, 11:54 AM

Car Info: '05 Crystal Grey Metallic WRX Sport Wagon
A well regulated militia is not neccesary for the security of a free state if there is a standing army (which there wasn't when the 2nd amendment was written). Besides, the constitution is not writen in stone. Prohibition went in and back out. And if I remember correctly, there was a phrase in one of the original amendments that defined black Americans as some fraction of the political value of white Americans...

the constitution needs updates, and in my opinion the 2nd amendment is one that is in dire need of an update.

Besides, as Salty has said about the first amendment (when he points out that your freedom of speech is not as garaunteed as you think), your 2nd amendment rights are not as clear cut as you'd like to believe.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:55 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX Sedan & 2008 GMC Sierra 4x4
Originally Posted by Salty
But at the end of the day I cannot judge the victims.
Good. Because for all you know he charged into that classroom and some guys went at him and got killed, immediately thwarting any attempt. You just don't know so stop with the coulda woulda crap.

We all know if it were a group of Republicans in those classrooms they would have taken out the killer with laser beams from their eyes, and saved the world much like the republicans of today have done!

Last edited by SilverScoober02; 04-17-2007 at 11:57 AM.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:58 AM

Help me help you.

The line that I've bolded...is this your thought/belief of what the 2nd means?
My own opinion of course. Nothing posted in this thread on our little side topic except for the wording f the amendment is anything else.

And what the hell? Get back under that lift, fool! You don't have time for silly internet arguments!
Old 04-17-2007, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by MVWRX
A well regulated militia is not neccesary for the security of a free state if there is a standing army (which there wasn't when the 2nd amendment was written). Besides, the constitution is not writen in stone. Prohibition went in and back out. And if I remember correctly, there was a phrase in one of the original amendments that defined black Americans as some fraction of the political value of white Americans...
Until it IS changed, it's still the Supreme Law of the Land. Saying "well, we could change it if we wanted to, so who cares what it says" is pathetic. That logic would completely and utterly undermine the authority granted to our system of governments. Kinda like the whole Pelnary Indulgence thing in Dogma.

the constitution needs updates, and in my opinion the 2nd amendment is one that is in dire need of an update.
Why? there is no logical argument in favor of further gun control in this country, regardless of wheter Paul or I is right in our debate over the amendment.

Besides, as Salty has said about the first amendment (when he points out that your freedom of speech is not as garaunteed as you think), your 2nd amendment rights are not as clear cut as you'd like to believe.
And like I said, even if there is zero guarantee for private citizens to own firearms in the Second Amendment, that does NOT mean that it would be okay to further infringe upon one's privelege to own firearms if you haven't done something stupid like commit a felony.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:02 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2008 EVO X/1991 Nissan Skyline GT-R32
no matter what controls you put up for guns or licenses or whatever ,there is always a black market.

anyone know why he did it?

Quick Reply: Virginia Tech... shooter's motivation?