Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

VAT in the US?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 02:17 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
Originally Posted by Mr. Xevious
you're mom gets me to work.
you are?

typical nor cal stuff
Old 12-04-2008, 02:19 PM
9 to 5 mod

Originally Posted by irrational x
here are the best routes i can find for RT. none of them get me to work on time, and most of them cost the same i would spend in gas to drive there myself.

option # | Lines | depart/arive |travel time|transfers| fare
Option 1 011, 507 6:08a -7:22a 74 1 $2.25
Option 2 011, 038, 507 6:08a-7:22a 74 2 $3.25
Option 3 011, 141, 507 6:08a-7:22a 74 2 $3.25
Option 4 013, 011, 507 5:42a-7:22a 99 2 $4.25
gas + insurance + maintinance + cost of the car = the cost of driving your car

the bus is just the fare

so tax the hypothetical civic
Old 12-04-2008, 02:20 PM
9 to 5 mod

Originally Posted by Magish
Explain how trains hurt the environment more than single drivers. I'm curious.
quit trying to derail this topic!!!!!

Mr x will give you points !!
Old 12-04-2008, 02:34 PM
plays well with others

Car Info: your mother crazy
Originally Posted by LxJLthr
Great, here we go again...so to fill that gap are you saying we again need to throw more money at it instead of figuring out if all of that was really justifiable? Why did we contribute more that other states? Where did the money we receive go to; pork or something necessary? To me those statistics are symptoms indicating an underlying cause that remains untreated. Okay, great, we received less...if the numbers are correct, it does suck, but instead of budgeting or renegotiating terms we just continue to dig ourselves deeper into a hole
no i'm not saying we need to throw money at the gap, can you read? im saying that Californians take a net-loss on our fed taxes, which is awesome, since we pay-in more than anyone else.

ill put this example forward:

one of the biggest reasons for the collapse of the USSR was a strong (or seemingly so) central government in Moscow that attempted to control every aspect of the countries citizenry and economy. they went bankrupt.

Sound familiar?

A detached an insular community of elitists exercising oligarchical power over the far reaches of an empire? redistribution of wealth? Im getting a clue. Its raging.

states are better equipped to manage themselves than the Fed is.

Also, what is the source of your numbers? I am interested in reading up and learning more about that,
Tax Foundation
The California Institute for Federal Policy Research
WSJ

Here we go with semantics...I agree "free" markets was not the best selection of terms. But to use your terminology, more protectionism is not the answer here.
i didnt say protectionism is the answer, once again, please take the time to read and understand what i wrote.

That's like having a troubled kid and instead of figuring out and resolving his problems, just locking him up within confines of an institution and spend time and money patrolling the parameter. Sooner or later the problem will come back to bite you in the ***. Plus the institutions are only as good as the people that run them, but that's also a different can of worms.
that is quite possible the worst metaphor i have ever seen. I prefer the metaphor of the comatose patient whose family and friends cant bear to let them die. instead of moving on with their lives they are stuck in the past, fighting (and probably praying) for something that has already been determined.

hegemonic stability theory tells us that we cannot, and will not, remain the top dog forever. the sooner we recognize this the sooner we can deal with the serious and debilitating issues we have socially and economically.

And again, you have not answered one of my previous questions...
the reason i am not answering your questions after you post them is because there is a perfectly good description in my statements themselves. I'm not the one making convoluted metaphors that are ultimately irrelevant and unrelated to the discussion at hand. My posts do not require a rocket scientist and a crackerjack decoder ring to decipher.

you clearly went to a public school, one that was federally funded with a mandated curriculum.

You have been throwing out a lot of different individual ideas..Great...Now, how are you going to go about addressing the logistics/implementation/integration of it to the real world? Are they compatible together? And is it even feasibly or worth it? Otherwise, we will be here until the end of the world brainstorming about all the various options this world has to offer. This conversation will never end and neither of us will ever be right or wrong.
Your asking a dude on the internet how he is going to implement his grand scheme for an American economic overhaul?

well first i'm going to beat it to some midget ****, then im going to get elected high emperor of Canada, invade the US, and institute my economic policies.

besides, as long as people with your frame of mind are voting there's no chance for the rest of us to be heard.

Last edited by Irrational X; 12-04-2008 at 02:38 PM.
Old 12-04-2008, 02:37 PM
plays well with others

Originally Posted by sigma pi
gas + insurance + maintinance + cost of the car = the cost of driving your car

the bus is just the fare

so tax the hypothetical civic
how bout state and local bonds, state and fed taxes that i already pay so that no one rides the bus.

im all for great public transit, but it should be the burden of the people CAUSING the problem (solo drivers, hummer owners) that pay to improve our transit system not my grandmother who sits in a retirement home and hasn't driven in 30 years.
Old 12-04-2008, 02:48 PM
9 to 5 mod

she should leave a good legacy with good transportation
Old 12-04-2008, 03:01 PM
I survived the Mod Challenge and all I got was this lousy title

Car Info: ...zeh car drives you!
you clearly went to a public school, one that was federally funded with a mandated curriculum.

Your asking a dude on the internet how he is going to implement his grand scheme for an American economic overhaul?

well first i'm going to beat it to some midget ****, then im going to get elected high emperor of Canada, invade the US, and institute my economic policies.

besides, as long as people with your frame of mind are voting there's no chance for the rest of us to be heard.
Well, I definitely appreciate your unfounded assumptions and personal attacks. Even if some of my arguments and metaphors can use improvement, I see you deem it better not do say anything or insult me instead of educating or correcting the flaws of my logic, so I can improve in the future. If you think about it in that context, your frame of mind if really no more decremental than mine. Disregarding whatever was said, at least I am trying to understand people's points of view, make an independent opinion and my own judgment. I really appreciated your condescending tone throughout your reply, you will get a lot of people to listen and understand you that way. No one ever said the process was going to be without error. How many other people do you see posting here trying to figure anything out?

Last edited by LxJLthr; 12-04-2008 at 03:07 PM.
Old 12-04-2008, 03:07 PM
9 to 5 mod

Well, I definitely appreciate your unfounded assumptions and personal attacks. Even if some of my arguments and metaphors can use improvement, I see you deem it better not do say anything or insult me instead of educating or correcting the flaws of my logic, so I can improve in the future. If you think about it in that context, your frame of mind if really no more decremental than mine. Disregarding whatever was said, at least I am trying to understand people's points of view, make an independent opinion and my own judgment. No one ever said the process was going to be without error. How many other people do you see posting here trying to figure anything out?
not me!
Old 12-04-2008, 03:14 PM
plays well with others

Well, I definitely appreciate your unfounded assumptions and personal attacks. Even if some of my arguments and metaphors can use improvement, I see you deem it better not do say anything or insult me instead of educating or correcting the flaws of my logic, so I can improve in the future.
its a valid response based on your assertions. It is clear that you either chose not to, or are incapable of, reading posts, digesting their content, and articulating a relevant response.

i went to a public school, however, i also chose to educate myself.

If you think about it in that context, your frame of mind if really no more decremental than mine.
Fragment; Consider revising.

Disregarding whatever was said, at least I am trying to understand people's points of view, make an independent opinion and my own judgment. No one ever said the process was going to be without error. How many other people do you see posting here trying to figure anything out?
maybe you should re-read your posts. they don't exactly seem like you are 'trying to understand' another persons point of view as much as you are trying to discredit it and thus convolute the issue even further.

have you considdered running for elected office?
Old 12-04-2008, 03:32 PM
9 to 5 mod

If you think about it in that context, your frame of mind if really no more decremental than mine.

no its not

its an improper word selection

Your frame of mind iS really no more decremental than mine.

the first part is a dependant clause so we can just lop that off
Old 12-04-2008, 03:38 PM

no its not

Hahaha thank you for the correction, it is supposed to be "is" not "if".
Old 12-04-2008, 03:38 PM
plays well with others

no its not

funny how a single word can Popsicle an entire sentence. also, there is no such thing as a "dependant clause".

dependent? sure.

i was simply making a point.
Old 12-04-2008, 03:50 PM
9 to 5 mod

funny how a single word can Popsicle an entire sentence. also, there is no such thing as a "dependant clause".

dependent? sure.

i was simply making a point.
yes english sucks

http://owl.english.purdue.edu/handou.../g_clause.html
Old 12-04-2008, 03:58 PM
plays well with others

only for those who don't practice it.
Old 12-04-2008, 04:10 PM

Irrational X...Take this reply for what it is worth, but it seems you have already made up your mind about me...It does appears you are well educated (I applaud you for it and your efforts) in theory, ideology and statistics. I did the same thing back in college. However, reality versus theory/ideology are very different animals. Please go back and re-read my replies as well. I actually do discuss valid points related to the topics at hand (whether you choose to see them or not); however, I also try to bring up additional points that might need to be considered. It is called brainstorming; sometimes you get something right sometimes you do not. I personally can care less about theory and ideology that cannot be implemented or have a higher cost than actual benefit. The latter part is what I always focus on.

Furthermore, what is wrong with being a devil's advocate and encourage discussion? It is one way of debating; while potentially agreeing on the topic as a whole, you try to find various questions and discredit assumptions to bring forth as many potential arguments as possible. Once they are out one the open, you have opportunity to adsorb, digest and formulate an opinion. I am an introvert, where I try to get as much information possible out into the open (by whatever means necessary), think about it and later come up with my conclusions.

Unfortunately, the internet forums is also a very limited media for educated discussion as a lot of personality, feeling, intonation, timing and energy is taken out of the picture. I will admit that you were correct that on several of the posts I either read too much into the posts or jumped to a conclusion too soon. Oh well, I am human and that's what I also get for trying to reply at work during available moments.

Lastly, please read a good psychology or negotiating book. A valid response is never a personal attack or off-cuff judgment that puts a person on a defensive and close any potential for you to get your point across (irrelevant of how incapable you might think that person is). How do you know I am not doing anything of this on purpose to push the other side to see where their limit is because that's where you really know the person and their true colors?

I am sure this will fall upon deaf ears (ehe, blind eyes?) and will result in another personal, sarcastic, non-serious reply; but I thought I share this with you never the less.