Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Stop Loss the Movie

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 08:15 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Stop Loss the Movie

http://www.stoplossmovie.com/

What crap. The anti-military is strong with this one. MTV even gives them southern accents for that more American feel.

You can be stop-lossed. It happens and as a volunteer force it should be welcomed. Stop loss is different from your IRR obligation:

8yrs - X= Y
'X'=Years Active duty.
Value of IRR time = Y

But considering you have an IRR obligation I don't see the difference in the overall obligation. I would think it would be harder to re-transition to military life as opposed to just getting extended. I'm so sick of this ****. The only ones out of touch are the ones that haven't served. Imagine that.

If they really wanted to do a movie how about when the military calls upon retirees. Can't package that to your demographic, MTV? What ever happened to the get behind the troops movies of WWII? Now Hollywood is run by a bunch of degenerate left-wing hippies that would rather cash-in on the public’s ignorance to how the military conducts business.
Old 01-12-2008, 03:05 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
There's nothing welcome about stop-loss. But on the other hand, the Army makes it clear that your contract can be extended by the Army at their discretion, so the whole premise of this movie is crap. No chance I will pay anybody to see it.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:30 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Except the selfish civilians not willing to see the sacrifice a soldier and his or her family have made after they've been stop-lossed. You're right, nobody like that exists in this country, especially within the draft age bracket.

Come to think of it maybe that'll be the reason why people of this target audience don't see the movie and that's because they simply do not care.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:20 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
I missed being able to take Terminal Leave by two days & was Stopped Loss for 6 months.:RockOn - not mine:

Yes, it did suck, but I signed on the line.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:32 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
So, after watching the trailer, all I can say is .

Granted this was 20 yrs ago, but I don't remember reading anything in my contract that I was limited to one conflict/tour of duty/etc whilst in the loving care of Uncle Sam.
Once in, you're in for the duration, which can be for 8 yrs.
There were SGTs in my Battalion that multiple tours in Viet Nam, took part in Grenada, that then did Gulf War v1.0.

When I was standing in line for my new ID card, I met several folks that had been out of the service for three yrs...were in college....that got recalled into active service.
Some of these dudes were Rangers or 7th ID and had taken part in the Panama thing.

Not one that I met complained more than any grunt would complain.