Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Racist Cop or Racist Prof?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 12:07 PM

Car Info: 2015 WRX
Originally Posted by saqwarrior
Both are clearly valid, and you continue to make excuses to validate your own position (there is no recording of Duran's insults--and you have the audacity to tell me that I didn't read what I cited).
Originally Posted by irrational x
I was under the impression that the recording (referred to here: http://www.keyc.com/node/25413) was complete. My Mistake. It was later clarified that the released audio was police communication only.
"I'm up with a gentleman who says he resides here. He's uncooperative. Keep the cars coming."- Sgt. James Crowley
Hold on a second -- were you saying that you wanted to hear the recording of Gates' arrest? Because you replied to my cited case of Duran v. City of Douglas saying that you wanted to hear the recordings. What case have you been talking about this whole time?

Did that clarify a bit? i'm not trying to be a dick (i was born this way) but the basis for my conclusion will depend highly on the final version of the events of that night which is why i did not recite more specific rulings regarding verbal confrontations with police officers. I take issue with your assertion, that appears at least, to imply that vulgarity or "fighting words" directed at officers is protected speech... Which is not entirely correct as i have tried (poorly) to demonstrate.
I'm not sure where the disconnect here is, and I'm not sure how else I can put this to you: I don't disagree with you, and I never said that "fighting words" are protected speech. I simply said that I don't know that I entirely agree with your broad statement that "insults are not protected speech" because there have been cases where they have been protected speech. You yourself unwittingly provided another example of that in this very post:

At the time of Locricchio's arrest, it was clearly established that statutes criminalizing speech do not violate the First Amendment if they are narrowly drawn to penalize only speech "likely to provoke the average person to retaliation." See Chaplinsky v. New Hampshire, 315 U.S. 568, 574 (1942) (applying this standard in a case involving speech directed at a police officer). Supreme Court and Ninth Circuit precedent also had clearly established that the First Amendment protects verbal criticism, challenges, and profanity directed at police officers unless the speech constitutes "fighting words." See City of Houston v. Hill, 482 U.S. 451, 455, 465-67 (1987) (striking down as overbroad city ordinance that prohibited "oppos[ing], molest[ing], abus[ing] or interrupt[ing] any policeman in the execution of his duty"); Lewis v. City of New Orleans, 415 U.S. 130, 132-34 (1974) (striking down as overbroad a city ordinance making it unlawful "wantonly to curse or revile or to use obscene or opprobious language toward or with reference to any member of the city police while in the actual performance of his duty"); Duran v. City of Douglas, 904 F.2d 1372, 1377-78 (9th Cir.1990) (police officer's stop of a car from which defendant was making obscene gestures and yelling profanities was unlawful; defendant's actions were protected by First Amendment).
In short, I don't really know why you're arguing with me.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:34 PM
plays well with others

Car Info: your mother crazy
Hold on a second -- were you saying that you wanted to hear the recording of Gates' arrest? Because you replied to my cited case of Duran v. City of Douglas saying that you wanted to hear the recordings. What case have you been talking about this whole time?
...the one the thread is about... the events in Duran v City are pretty well estabalished, and since the court has already rendered decision, a moot point really.

In short, I don't really know why you're arguing with me.
probably because of the second paragraph i posted that you failed to highlight in red. I'm not arguing about Duran here, I'm talking about the rightness/wrongness of Gates arrest since thats what this whole thread is about... Duran is important because it determined that simply insulting an officer, while rude and probably not a good idea, isn't illegal...

my statements are pertaining to how these precedents apply to the situation at hand [Gates]. If were you under the impression i was attempting to dispute the definitions of protected speech as determined in previous cases then I'm sorry for misleading you/being unclear.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:40 PM
plays well with others

Car Info: your mother crazy
I simply said that I don't know that I entirely agree with your broad statement that "insults are not protected speech" because there have been cases where they have been protected speech.
see: excerpt from the post you quoted.

Originally Posted by me
I take issue with your assertion, that appears at least, to imply that vulgarity or "fighting words" directed at officers is protected speech.... Which is not entirely correct as i have tried (poorly) to demonstrate.
semantics?
Old 07-31-2009, 06:09 PM

Car Info: Nadda
It is sad that this goes on record, and plenty of people get arrested for just mouthing off to officers.

Officers are supposed to ignore that nonsense? I mean aren't they trained to stay calm and not give a damn if someone tells them to shove it up their own ***? Officers should be able to take a lot of bullcrap when it comes to words, not just say "I'm arresting you because you're irate" ?
Old 08-02-2009, 02:38 AM

Car Info: 05 PSM WRX
Originally Posted by iLoqin
It is sad that this goes on record, and plenty of people get arrested for just mouthing off to officers.

Officers are supposed to ignore that nonsense? I mean aren't they trained to stay calm and not give a damn if someone tells them to shove it up their own ***? Officers should be able to take a lot of bullcrap when it comes to words, not just say "I'm arresting you because you're irate" ?
Good point.
Old 08-07-2009, 02:54 PM

Car Info: 2015 WRX
my statements are pertaining to how these precedents apply to the situation at hand [Gates]. If were you under the impression i was attempting to dispute the definitions of protected speech as determined in previous cases then I'm sorry for misleading you/being unclear.
That's exactly what I thought was happening. Glad we cleared that up.