Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Putting the religious right into the right perspective

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2004, 11:50 AM

Car Info: 04 Silver WRX Wagon
Putting the religious right into the right perspective

You know the saying that truth is stranger than fiction. When it comes to the Religious Right, we believe that truth is scarier than fiction.

Sojourners is outraged by claims that Christians can only vote for George W. Bush and that Bush is God's candidate. So we produced this animated Web video. Watch for yourself and see what several Religious Right leaders are actually saying.

Watch the video at: www.sojo.net/video

We also distributed a petition that has been signed by more than 25,000 people. It will appear as a full-page advertisement in The New York Times next week during the Republican convention - and in other local newspapers across America!

Every faithful citizen in America should know that they can choose to vote for any candidate - for reasons deeply rooted in their faith.
Old 08-25-2004, 12:02 PM

Car Info: 72 Vespa with curb feelers
That is quite an offensive production. Who are you or this group of abortion lovers to say what is the Christian thing to do? Man I'd be afraid of getting struck by lightning putting this stuff out there.

Don't get me wrong, there are too many "show Christians" out there giving the rest a bad name, but this kind of advertising is malicious.

Originally Posted by dub2w
You know the saying that truth is stranger than fiction. When it comes to the Religious Right, we believe that truth is scarier than fiction.

Sojourners is outraged by claims that Christians can only vote for George W. Bush and that Bush is God's candidate. So we produced this animated Web video. Watch for yourself and see what several Religious Right leaders are actually saying.

Watch the video at: www.sojo.net/video

We also distributed a petition that has been signed by more than 25,000 people. It will appear as a full-page advertisement in The New York Times next week during the Republican convention - and in other local newspapers across America!

Every faithful citizen in America should know that they can choose to vote for any candidate - for reasons deeply rooted in their faith.
Old 08-25-2004, 12:20 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 08 sti
umm looks like that add is doing more for the christian faith then falwell or others are by using it to influence the masses...

Those quotes are very very powerfull and only go to show how faith can be used to manipulate and steer peoplees thoughts nad belieiefs.. hence why i stay away from organized religions and tend to look down upon those who embrace them.
Old 08-25-2004, 12:28 PM

^ and that is why, Mr. Dumb, I act on the conviction to represent Christ for who he truly was and is. The fundamentalist religious right, for all of their good intentions, waters down my faith and I wont sit idly by and watch it happen
Old 08-25-2004, 12:43 PM

Car Info: 2000 2.5 RS
and that is why, Mr. Dumb, I act on the conviction to represent Christ for who he truly was and is.
Although i respect the fact that you dont like the religious right immensley, all you know of what christ "truly" was is translated from a 2000 year old nomadic sheepherding text that was originally written in a language with no vowels - and borrowed or over-wrote pretty much every single religious text before it. And over the 2000 years it has been retranslated through countless languages and modified to fit the idiololgy of whatever ruler was in power, and is so vague that thousands of branches have grown off of its core because nobody really knows what the hell its talking about. The christ you have built for yourself is no different than any other diety anyone has built for themselves, but i think that spirituality is important - so as long as you are moderate enough to realize that and not go killing nonbeleivers, then we are in the money. Sadly, it seems lots of the world has lost sight of that and we find ourselves in the current position.

Organized religion is responsible for the evolution of modern society, and it will also be its undoing.
Old 08-25-2004, 01:04 PM

I disagree... the text we have today can be measured against documents that were put to paper within 100 years of the life of Christ. A general consensus would surely have shot down major discrepancies between what was written and what actually happened.

Let me give you an example... the Holocaust happened. Though a select few claim otherwise, we know it to be the truth and it will be recorded in history as a true event.

Additionally, I would claim that the life of Christ is the most accurate aspect of the Bible (or any other religious text) because of the inclusion of 4 separate accounts.

NOTE: This does bring up a very interesting point though that is worth some self-exploration

Last edited by dub2w; 08-25-2004 at 01:07 PM.