Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Lewinski v. NSA spying scandal: By the numbers

Old 01-22-2006, 06:20 AM

Car Info: Looking for a Liberty CRD
Lewinski v. NSA spying scandal: By the numbers

From mediamatters:

Originally Posted by mediamatters
On January 22, the day after The Washington Post first broke the Lewinsky story, the paper ran ... a total of 11 articles, written by or using contributions from at least 20 reporters, and comprising 11,844 words dedicated to allegations that the president lied about a consensual relationship.

The New York Times gave the story similar treatment....a total of eight articles, written by at least eight reporters, comprising 9,044 words.

Now, here's what the Post did on December 17 -- the day after the initial disclosure of the Bush administration's use of the National Security Agency (NSA) to conduct domestic surveillance that has been widely described as an illegal trampling of the Constitution.... Three articles, eight reporters, 3,227 words -- and that's generously including the USA Patriot Act article in the tally.

And from the Times, which had broken the NSA story the day before.... two articles, four reporters, 3,076 words.

All told, on January 22, 1998, the Times and the Post ran 19 articles (five on the front page) dealing with the Clinton investigation, totaling more than 20,000 words and reflecting the words of at least 28 reporters -- plus the editorial boards of both newspapers.

In contrast, on December 17, the Times and the Post combined to run five articles about the NSA spying operation, involving 12 reporters and consisting of 6,303 words.
Liberal media my ***.
Old 01-22-2006, 08:38 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: black pearl sti
I think you might be missing the forest for the trees. Newspapers above all else are based on circulation. The lewinski situation was easily put into digestible junks. Don't forget the average newspaper is written at an eigth grade level. The situation with Bush, while more of a story is not easily put into simple terms and is by no means eye catching to the common man.
Old 01-22-2006, 08:47 AM

Car Info: 72 Vespa with curb feelers
Originally Posted by lojasmo
From mediamatters:
Liberal media my ***.
The American people didn't have a problem with the fact that Clinton was a liar and aldulterer. They cared because he lied straight to our faces and committed knowingly false sworn testimony.

It's quite hilarious that any filthy liberal would try to compare the NSA spying story where a Republican president is trying to stretch the law to protect his contrymen versus a democrat who's presidency was spent ******** interns (and lying about it) while Osama was putting bombs in the WTC.

Do you really want to associate yourself with that article?

Oh, and don't forget, sex sells
Old 01-22-2006, 10:59 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Originally Posted by HellaDumb
Oh, and don't forget, sex sells
Couldn't have said it better. Sex in the Whitehouse sells that much more.
Old 01-22-2006, 01:25 PM

Car Info: Sline
Nice try though, Lojasmo.
Old 01-23-2006, 05:26 AM

Car Info: Looking for a Liberty CRD
Ah...I was laboring under the illusion that reporting the NEWS was what major media outlets do.

I'm not talking about newsmax or some tabloid here. These are supposedly serious print media outlets. "sex sells" is no excuse.
Old 01-23-2006, 05:35 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: black pearl sti
Ah...I was laboring under the illusion that reporting the NEWS was what major media outlets do.

I'm not talking about newsmax or some tabloid here. These are supposedly serious print media outlets. "sex sells" is no excuse.
You can't have had a straight face when you typed that. Left or right leaning no one is that much of a Pollyanna
Old 01-23-2006, 08:45 AM

BS, pure and simple. If you think that the same amount of, or more, people are going to care about some evesdropping store compared to the Lewinski trial, you need to take a look at our society and culture.
Old 01-23-2006, 01:33 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX Sedan & 2008 GMC Sierra 4x4
Originally Posted by jvick125
BS, pure and simple. If you think that the same amount of, or more, people are going to care about some evesdropping store compared to the Lewinski trial, you need to take a look at our society and culture.
You may be right that it is that way but it doesn't make it right. Violations of Americans civil rights should always trump a story about sex. Unfortunately it isn't that way.
Old 01-23-2006, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by SilverScoober02
You may be right that it is that way but it doesn't make it right. Violations of Americans civil rights should always trump a story about sex. Unfortunately it isn't that way.
I support the government's Protecting the Country. Unfortunately, the general public isn't attracted to an article violating their rights as much as they are to one about a president, a cigar, an intern and a blue dress.
Old 01-23-2006, 02:04 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
From mediamatters:

Liberal media my ***.
eh it was a slow week
Old 01-23-2006, 03:20 PM

Car Info: 72 Vespa with curb feelers
Now wait a minute... do you KNOW that any specific American(s) had their civil rights violated, or are you just receiving transmissions from "Mix-Master Howard Dean"?

One was an unproven accusation of riding the edge of the law in order to protect American lives (which as of yet has not yet been adequately explored and understood), while the other guy was ******** while on the clock while sandy berger was stuffing national secrets in his socks.
Old 01-23-2006, 03:36 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
I agree.

Substitute a few words in your statement and that's exactly how I feel about the coverage of OIF/OEF.
Old 01-23-2006, 03:55 PM

Car Info: '05 Crystal Grey Metallic WRX Sport Wagon
Originally Posted by HellaDumb
Now wait a minute... do you KNOW that any specific American(s) had their civil rights violated, or are you just receiving transmissions from "Mix-Master Howard Dean"?

Do I really need to bring up Huck's predicament again...that's just one story that we know about through this board, I'm sure there are tons of others just like him.

You sure do like to throw around the accusation of people 'spining' things considering how many of the 'facts' you state are from spinmasters.
Old 01-23-2006, 04:42 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX Sedan & 2008 GMC Sierra 4x4
Originally Posted by Salty
I agree.

Substitute a few words in your statement and that's exactly how I feel about the coverage of OIF/OEF.
I agree with that.