Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Hatriotism & Michael Moore

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2004, 01:58 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Hatriotism & Michael Moore

From the same author that wrote 'President Bush is our Lincoln' (see thread) writes another interesting article on Michael Moore.

From all the articles i've read of Dr. Ergun Mehmet Caner, he seems to have a good head on his shoulders and a good grasp on most issues.

------------------------------------------------------------
'Hatriotism' & Michael Moore: Turkish Muslim says 'Fahrenheit 911' wrong on liberation of Iraq

Posted: June 24, 2004
1:00 a.m. Eastern

By Dr. Ergun Mehmet Caner
© 2004 WorldNetDaily.com

He was lauded with a 20-minute standing ovation at the Cannes Film Festival. A.O. Scott of the New York Times calls his movie a "passionate expression of outraged patriotism." At the June showing of "Fahrenheit 911" before the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Science in Los Angeles, he received a standing ovation of over a minute.

And Michael Moore's most recent work spits in the face of my dead countrymen.

As yet another innocent person has their head severed by Islamic "extremists," Moore apparently glosses over the fact that democracy, in general – and America, specifically – is under attack. I am innately aware that Michael Moore is first and foremost a provocateur, and he thrives on controversy.

I am also sure he will smile gleefully at this op-ed piece, because I mention his film, which is free advertising. He has gone on record on his website as saying he hopes we will watch his movie, even if we disagree, because his facts and analysis are correct. He notes that he has a "dogged commitment to uncovering the facts."

I am not holding my breath. With the aforementioned facts in mind, I must still speak. Michael Moore has released the cinematic equivalent of a French kiss to all who hate America. He is the leading exponent of hatriotism.

"HATE-RIOTISM" describes the new breeze blowing through the American media. It is now "cool" and "relevant" to mock everything for which our soldiers are fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan. Criticizing democracy and America has long been in vogue in continental Europe from those who look with disdain at American "naivete," while still lamenting the Islamic onslaught.

Now imported to our shores, hatriotism is the simplest way to get the growing contingent of professional protestors who populate television audiences to cheer: Mock America. Mock our involvement in Iraq. Mock President Bush ... and get rousing applause.

The only problem is ... America has freed my kinsmen.

I am a Persian Turkish immigrant raised as a Sunni Muslim, and in the interest of full disclosure, I must state that I left Islam in 1982, and became an American citizen. Yet, as I survey the current cultural landscape, I cannot help but be less than enthused when Michael Moore states that his film is a call to true patriotism.

The present conflict is not a war against Islam, and neither is it a "war for oil." In the previous six military endeavors, American troops sided with Muslims who were under attack, and there are much less extreme methods of garnering oil. This is a war of ideologies, and with "Fahrenheit 911," Moore clearly shows his.

His visual narrative of Lila Lipscombe, a Flint, Mich., mother who sent her sons to the military and "lives to regret it," as Roger Friedman of FOX News notes, is "unexpectedly poignant."

I wonder – was Moore equally moved when he heard of the honor killings which daily threatened the lives of Muslim women in Afghanistan? Was he equally as outraged at the female circumcision practices in my countrymen's lands, because it lessens the threat of adultery?
Old 07-27-2004, 01:58 PM
VIP Member

Continued...

In fact, I wonder ... where were all the "hatriots" when our soldiers freed all the women of Afghanistan from the Taliban? Where were the feminists when our soldiers liberated the Afghan women to be educated for the first time in years?

The irony is, for all of their false bravado behind the First Amendment and their right to "free speech," the hatriots are exercising this right because American men and women shed their blood to afford them this right against those who would seek to oppress it. I would invite Michael Moore to my homeland to make a movie criticizing Turkish oppression and see what happens. The freedom he enjoys now was purchased with a dear price.

The central fact of the current controversy is the conflict between Islamic theocracy and American democracy. Islam has not now – nor has it ever – allowed religious freedom or freedom of expression. The best the Islamic republics can offer is "religious toleration." Based on the "Pact of Umar," religious toleration allows non-Muslims to enter Islamic republics, but they must pay a tax (jizyat). They can practice their faiths, but they cannot convert anyone from Islam. To do so means deportation ... or worse.

Further, Islamic prophecy foretells of worldwide conversion to Sharia law under Islam, and thus, those who are fighting against us are "holy warriors." In this instance, I would say our president is half right. He says we are not at war with Islam. I agree. However, a significant portion of Islam is in fact at war with us.

And Michael Moore is blind to it all.

The clearest definition of religious freedom and freedom of expression I can make is this – the religious freedom America offers means that I would fight and die for a Muslim's right to build a mosque in every city in America. It is precisely this freedom for which our soldiers are fighting.

In recent days, it has become fashionable for those like Moore to say, "I support the troops, but not the war." This is the equivalent to saying, "I support doctors but not surgery." The position they hold is ludicrous at best, and insulting at worst. When my brother – also a professor and my co-author of five books – and I came out in support of the Iraqi intervention, we began to be accosted by peace protestors when we spoke. I found this amusing.

Allow me to say it emphatically: I support the troops – and their mission.

Our soldiers – your sons and daughters – are fighting to preserve Michael Moore's freedom to produce such works that mock their very existence. I hope he realizes that. They are allowing my countrymen the right to freely express themselves without being stoned to death as a consequence. Or have their heads severed slowly while their executioners are chanting "Allah hu Akbar."

There is one final irony. There is a film producer who has worked for years, chasing down Michael Moore in an effort to interview him. The young man, named Michael Wilson, is making a documentary titled "Michael Moore Hates America." So far, Moore has dodged him at every turn. Anyone who knows cinema recognizes that this is the exact tactic Moore took in his film "Roger and Me," as he chased an automobile executive for an interview.

Do you see the paradox? Because Michael Moore is now in the mainstream of hatriotism, and now the young conservatives are the radicals, Moore has become his own worst nightmare. Michael Moore has become that which he mocked. He has become an aloof elite.

Count me among the radicals.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Ergun Mehmet Caner is co-author of "Christian Jihad" (Kregel, June 2004), and is professor of Theology and Church History at Liberty University in Lynchburg, Va. The Caner brothers won the 2003 Gold Medallion for their book "Unveiling Islam" (Kregel). You can contact him at www.erguncaner.com.
Old 07-27-2004, 08:49 PM

Car Info: 2001 Impreza 2.5RS(Ti)
This war did bring positive changes to certain individuals. Hopefully in time Iraq will be a free and democratic nation. However, the fact remains, Bush did mislead our country as to the reasons for which he started his unnecessary war. Moore simply pointed out the fact that brothers, sisters, husbands, wives, mothers and fathers are dying because Bush led this country to war on false pretenses.

I seriously doubt that Iraq posed, at any time, a threat to Michael Moore's freedom to create his documentary. There is simply no justification for this argument.

I assume strictly from his point of view that he was not living in Bagdhad when the city was being bombed and women and children were being slaughtered.

On a side note, I'm sure Mr. Moore is happy with this kind of publicity. His film has now made over $100 million in the box office. After seeing it, I assure you that it will certainly sway a few swing voters. It will also be released on DVD in September. It's also nice to know that Disney didn't get that 100 million and that Farenheit 9/11 made more than any other Disney movie this year.
Old 07-27-2004, 11:10 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 08 sti

might want to fidn a better source for your non bias information salty

i mean this is the same site that sells the gem above as well as this gem below

Taking America Back is the third release for WND Books.

by Joseph Farah

Are you ready for another revolution?

We are losing America -- plain and simple. It’s time for every God-fearing American to take stock of where our great nation is heading ... before it’s too late!

Despite our nation’s greatness, we all know that America has problems. The traditional family unit is being attacked on every side. Higher and higher taxes continue to burden a smaller and smaller group of hardworking citizens. Our public schools have become a conduit for anti-family, anti-religion, and anti-morality messages. The entertainment industry pours immorality and violence into the minds of our children on a daily basis. And the list could go on and on.

Taking America Back is a blueprint for “reclaiming” America, piece by piece, one day at a time, one battle at a time. It’s time for radical, revolutionary action on the part of all who are brave enough to look reality in the face and do something – now -- to protect the time-honored values and first principles that made America great.

“It’s time to ignite the Second American Revolution,” writes Joseph Farah, editor and founder of WorldNetDaily.com. “It’s time to celebrate virtue and knowledge again. It’s time to wake up your neighbors so they can once again smell the sweet aroma of freedom ... Let’s take America back.”

In Taking America Back, author Joseph Farah reveals how we as a nation have moved from freedom fighters to comfort lovers. He says that it’s time to wake up and realize where our present state of affairs is taking us. It’s time for Americans to choose the kind of country in which we want to live.

According to Farah, “The choice is simple: The world of standards and morality, of marriage, order, the rule of law, and accountability to God? Or the world of anything-goes, aberrant sexual behavior, doing-your-own-thing lifestyles, and moral codes that change with the speed of the latest public-opinion poll?”

But how can we take America back? According to Farah, the only way Americans can re-establish their freedom -- their God-given rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness -- is to break the hammerlock of statism and the notion that morally relativistic secular humanism holds the answers to controlling men’s passions and behavior.

Taking America Back exposes the weaknesses in America’s current system and offers practical solutions -- solutions that are real and doable. Solutions that can revive freedom, morality, and justice in our nation.

Here’s what others are saying about this book:

“Joseph Farah and I share a fierce passion for protecting children and a belief that without the Ten Commandments there would be no U.S. Constitution or Bill of Rights. Every American who shares our convictions should read this book.” -- Dr. Laura C. Schlessinger, Author of "The Ten Commandments"

“Joseph Farah has written a thought-provoking recipe for reclaiming America’s heritage of liberty and self-governance. I don’t agree with all the solutions proposed here, but Farah definitely nails the problems.” -- Rush Limbaugh

Joseph Farah is editor, cofounder, and chief executive officer of WorldNetDaily.com, the Internet’s largest independent news site. He is a veteran newspaper editor -- having run the Sacramento Union, the oldest daily paper west of the Mississippi; the news department of the Los Angeles Herald Examiner; and other dailies and weeklies. He is the coauthor of This Land Is Our Land and has collaborated on more than a dozen other books. Farah is also cofounder of WND Books.

Get a great deal on bulk purchases of this book! See below.

Hardcover. 208 pages.

NOTE: Purchasing "Taking America Back" from WND's online store also qualifies you to receive a FREE 3-month trial subscription to our immensely popular monthly print magazine, Whistleblower. Watch for the FREE offer during checkout.
Old 07-27-2004, 11:13 PM
VIP Member

and this gem

By John MacArthur

Do you know what you believe about creation? Could you defend your views to those who deny the Genesis account? In this highly acclaimed book, you will find answers to the tough questions. Learn what the Bible really says about how the universe began.

Indeed, as author Dr. John MacArthur says, the battle for a true view of the beginning of the universe and of life is not optional. Our faith and the future of our world hang on the truth about creation. Dr. MacArthur insists that when naturalistic and atheistic presuppositions are being aggressively peddled as if they were established scientific fact, Bible-believing Christians "ought to expose such lies for what they are and oppose them vigorously."

"The Battle for the Beginning: Creation, Evolution and the Bible" will show you how.

Hardcover - 304 pages

NOTE: Purchasing "The Battle for the Beginning" from WND's online store also qualifies you to receive a FREE 3-month trial subscription to our immensely popular monthly print magazine, Whistleblower. Watch for the FREE offer during checkout.
By Max Anders, author of "30 Days to Understanding the Bible"

Christianity begins with the bad news that all are spiritually lost and then announces the good news that Jesus saves those who trust Him. What You Need to Know About Salvation explores the provision of salvation in Jesus Christ, its application today through the Holy Spirit, and its consummation at the Second Coming.

Paperback. 167 pages. Retail $5.99
or here is a gem

OUR CHRISTIAN FAITH IS UNDER SIEGE.

Authors Tim LaHaye and David Noebel are sounding trumpets of alarm, calling us to wake up and defend our right to believe and behave as Christians.

Already Christianity has been silenced in our schools and driven from the public arena. Abortion rights, gay and lesbian rights, feminist rights, and atheists' rights have virtually eclipsed any rights Christians used to enjoy.

The authors insist that the conflict is between the biblical Christian and the Secular Humanist worldviews. This is a battle for our minds, a war to decide whether our thoughts will be shaped by the wisdom of men like Marx, Darwin, Freud, and Nietzsche, or by the wisdom God shared through Moses, the prophets, the apostles, and Jesus.

Drs. LaHaye and Noebel urge Christians to understand and combat the five basic tenets of Secular Humanism and explain them in simple terms for all to understand and be motivated to oppose them:
*ATHEISM
*EVOLUTION
*AMORALITY
*HUMAN AUTONOMY
*GLOBALISM

Tim LaHaye is one of the most popular Christian authors today. Over 38 million copies of his books are in print, including 47 titles in 33 languages.

David Noebel, the head of Summit Ministries, is a former college president and candidate for the U.S. Congress. An author, editor, speaker, and ordained minister, Dr. Noebel is a recognized expert on worldview analysis and on the decline of morality and spirituality in Western Civilization who is a frequent guest of the national media.

Hardcover. 384 pages.
Old 07-27-2004, 11:14 PM
VIP Member

and to take from my sig on srtforums

In regards to hatritism and MM views.
Old 07-28-2004, 08:28 AM

Car Info: 2001 Impreza 2.5RS(Ti)
That last one is just plain scary. 38 million people have read this crap?
Old 07-28-2004, 08:52 AM
VIP Member

Regardless, the initial article I presented is fine. Just because they have other articles doesn't dilute the validity of one. BTW, the first one you mention seems true to me...I’ve only had one professor who taught philosophy that didn't try to pass on his beliefs. Alas, i cannot pass judgment on the book because i haven't read it but most professor's are very influential... i don't know about brainwashing but i can imagine some students will fall victim.

I know it's hard for you to stay on topic Dre but please try... every time you present an argument for Moore i become more convinced that you're literally in bed with him. At the very least, own a life size poster of Moore above your bed. Tell me... is it hard to breath under all that weight or do you get used to it?
Old 07-28-2004, 08:54 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX Sedan & 2008 GMC Sierra 4x4
On a side note, the most popular Christian Fiction books are by LaHaye and they are actually excellent reads. I am not religious at all either and I read those 12 Left Behind books in about 2 months. Damn good storytelling skills that guy. But I am not very religious. Last time I was in church was Christmas and I haven't regularily attended services since I was in the eighth grade. Just my opinion tho...

On actual topic I don't believe that President Bush intentionally misled anyone. I think he actually believed the bad intelligence he got and he acted on it. I do think he should have gone in with our allies and not alienated them like he did. His "We don't need you" attitude has cost us years of foreign relations and actually stregnthened Al Qaida in the long run. They don't even need to recruit now because of the war in Iraq. I still have not decided who I am gonna vote for though because I think both candidates suck!
Old 07-28-2004, 11:46 AM

Car Info: 72 Vespa with curb feelers
Dr3, just so you know, mainstream america sides with the opinion of those books.

It is you that are out of touch. Just an FYI.
Old 07-28-2004, 11:52 AM

Car Info: 2000 2.5 RS
Dr3, just so you know, mainstream america sides with the opinion of those books.

It is you that are out of touch. Just an FYI.
So, do you think that if the mainstream sides with it, then it is good/right/respectable/etc.?
Old 07-28-2004, 11:57 AM
250,000-mile Club President

Car Info: MBP 02 WRX wagon
"Mainstream" Germany sure thought Hitler was great back in '38 too...
Old 07-28-2004, 01:34 PM

LOL 0-to-Godwin in 12 posts.
Old 07-28-2004, 02:29 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Salty
Regardless, the initial article I presented is fine. Just because they have other articles doesn't dilute the validity of one. BTW, the first one you mention seems true to me...I’ve only had one professor who taught philosophy that didn't try to pass on his beliefs. Alas, i cannot pass judgment on the book because i haven't read it but most professor's are very influential... i don't know about brainwashing but i can imagine some students will fall victim.

I know it's hard for you to stay on topic Dre but please try... every time you present an argument for Moore i become more convinced that you're literally in bed with him. At the very least, own a life size poster of Moore above your bed. Tell me... is it hard to breath under all that weight or do you get used to it?

only unedcuated ignorant people would foolow the thoughts of another personl. The entire point of an education is to foster and create the enviroment in ones own mind to question things and learn from them in his own perspective and views. Now maybe the author of that book and his followers are of the persuasion that they can not think for them selves or that they do not oposses the mental capabilities to discern between a persons views and the truth. I think that is the larger issue here, an issues that is blatently flouted in that book, an issue that the readers and supporters of that book are them selves doing. Its rather comical it owuld be like me writing a book with the title

People who read are brainwashed by the authors who write the books!!!

and then everyone reads it and agrees with me.

see what i am saying?

Its a stupid book written by most likely a college drop out who got all pissy cause he doesnt have the mental capacity to see between the lines, its is DAMN NEAR IMPOSSIBLE FOR A HUMAN TO TEACH ANOTHER PERSON WITH OUT SOME SORT OF BIAS. You have to be the person to identify this bias, and see past it, many try some better then others but when it comes down to the facts educational bias has beena nd allways will be an issue. Ever since plato and the first teachers of our world this has been an issue. An issue that is on the individual student to resolve, not on the isntitution and teacher. They are merely there to GUIDE the learning EXPERIENCE on the topics at hand, it is the student who has the ultimate say in what is learned and how it is learned.

FUnny how the right wingers on this sight lean more towards lefitsh socialsit views then they would even imagine.

DONT BLAME THE INDVIDUAL BLAME THE BIG HUGE UBER INFRASTRUTURE OF LEARNING!!!