Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Happy Civil Rights Day!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 09:20 AM

Car Info: 72 Vespa with curb feelers
Happy Civil Rights Day!

After all, it's the last federal holiday with an individual's name on it. This is about civil rights for all Americans, no?
Old 01-16-2006, 09:45 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Washington's and Lincoln's are now celebrated on "President's Day." Of all people Nixon made the change back in 1971 according to what i've read. I'd much rather celebrate Lincoln as an individual President over most other Presidents. He did more for human and civil rights than most people ever did and yet his legacy was consolidated into President's day.

My point is that there have been numerous leaders of this country that should be celebrated just as there have been numerous people fighting for human & civil rights. As much as i'm grateful for Dr. King, why not consolidate his legacy into "human rights day" like they did for "President's Day?"

Does anyone really need an answer for this? Honestly? Doesn't take a crystal ball to figure out what would happen.

Last edited by Salty; 01-16-2006 at 09:48 AM.
Old 01-16-2006, 01:01 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 WRX
Originally Posted by Salty
I'd much rather celebrate Lincoln as an individual President over most other Presidents. He did more for human and civil rights than most people ever did and yet his legacy was consolidated into President's day.
yeah, but he didn't set slaves free just for human rights reasons, there were other reasons that contributed to the Emancipation Proclamation.
Old 01-16-2006, 02:00 PM

And having MLK's name on it doesn't bring people together with a common goal.
http://news.yahoo.com/fc/US/African_Americans
Old 01-16-2006, 02:23 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Originally Posted by case1
yeah, but he didn't set slaves free just for human rights reasons, there were other reasons that contributed to the Emancipation Proclamation.
Are you really here to pull strings?

The man could have indirectly freed the slaves based on a series of events that were completely out of his grasp and he still would have been a worthwhile contributor to civil rights.

You still skipped my point on how we've consolidated great leaders that have done great things into one day, but dare not consider the idea of consolidating the legacies of civil rights leaders. Would this be something people would support? Or would this be something similar to the “holiday tree?”

I dunno why Nixon ever got rid of those two days.
Old 01-16-2006, 02:34 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 WRX
Originally Posted by Salty
Are you really here to pull strings?

The man could have indirectly freed the slaves based on a series of events that were completely out of his grasp and he still would have been a worthwhile contributor to civil rights.

You still skipped my point on how we've consolidated great leaders that have done great things into one day, but dare not consider the idea of consolidating the legacies of civil rights leaders. Would this be something people would support? Or would this be something similar to the “holiday tree?”

I dunno why Nixon ever got rid of those two days.
I hear ya, its a tough call, only because if you consolidated the holiday a bunch of left wing PC ninnies would jump out of the woods and cry and complain about it, but I think MLK still deserves his own day, how about another national holiday for other civil rights leaders to be acknowledged, I know I could always use another paid day off.
Old 01-17-2006, 01:41 PM

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9665505/#060117a