Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Driving is a priveledge?

Old 01-09-2006, 06:40 PM
Admin v2.0

Car Info: 02 Black Legacy GT
Driving is a priveledge?

I know I heard it before, but today it really opened up my eyes.

My old landlord, is this sweet old man. He is like 75 years old, yet looking and acting very young. He is an Iraqi born persian. He immigrated from Iraq right before Saddam came to power and settled first in UK, then in US. He is a US citizen. He is also an Imam, or the muslic preist. He leads the Islamic Society of California and operates a "mosk" from an old Boy Scout farm high up in the hills of Fairfax, CA.

So today I went to visit him and check to see how he was doing. He always has millions of fun stories to tell and is a knowledge chest. I love talking to him. In his little hut in that mosk, he has lots of great pictures from his past. Two pictures that brought my attention today was a picture of him with Dalai Lama and one with Mother Teresa. Besides pictures, he has lots of other interesting stuff haning on the wall. One of which is a personally signed letter from President Jimmy Carter. The letter is a thank you letter from the US governemt for the help in resolution of the hostage situation in Iran back over 20 years ago.

So anyways, when I was leaving, I noticed that his car was not there and I asked him how he got there. He told me that his driver brought him there. I was surprised as he used to drive everywhere in his Lexus. He laughed and said that 'Mr. Bush does not want me to drive...". I asked him what he meant and apparantly there NOW is a law that any muslic religious leaders are not allowed to drive in the US. Their licences have been revoked by the Department of Homeland Security. I was amazed. That is just plain stupid. To limit ones right to freely move from point A to point B is a fundamental right. But then again, as they say, Driving is a Priveledge. While I am very tolerant of Bush's administration, that made me very mad. If that is not a clear case of discrimination based on religion, what is it then?
Old 01-09-2006, 06:50 PM

Car Info: Sline
Wow, that's insane. You should try to figure out with the government provides any kinds of compensations for the drivers, or provide them with free transportation.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:14 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
So Bush lovers, how resonable does that "I'll give up my rights for my safety" excuse sound now? thats ****ing rediculous. You should call up the news and let them know about that because I doubt many citizens know that their government is doing this.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:22 PM

I'm a Bush supporter. I support most of his decisons. MOST. This one I def. don't agree with. But I do agree with YOU that the Sac news channels should be notified. This could become national news. Especially with Davis. Those liberals would go BALLISTIC with this story.
Old 01-09-2006, 08:56 PM

Car Info: 72 Vespa with curb feelers
Originally Posted by MBasile
So Bush lovers, how resonable does that "I'll give up my rights for my safety" excuse sound now? thats ****ing rediculous. You should call up the news and let them know about that because I doubt many citizens know that their government is doing this.
I think it's best we all understand the law before we poo-poo it.
Old 01-09-2006, 09:11 PM
Admin v2.0

Originally Posted by jvick125
I'm a Bush supporter. I support most of his decisons. MOST. This one I def. don't agree with. But I do agree with YOU that the Sac news channels should be notified. This could become national news. Especially with Davis. Those liberals would go BALLISTIC with this story.
I am a Bush supporter too but this too ticked me off.
Old 01-09-2006, 09:13 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by HellaDumb
why dont you explain the law to all of us, and explain its benifits
Old 01-09-2006, 09:19 PM
Admin v2.0

Originally Posted by MBasile
True you can do that, but there is a possibility that people that complain, get their asses deported from here. I for one, don't mind some level of profiling. After all, that does not come from NOTHING. For example, with my last name, I am always prepared to be more extensively searched at the airports. I don't mind. Its for the better good.

However, this DL thing. It does not do much. What is the purpose of it? If someone really wanted to drive from point A to point B, they still would. Or get someone to drive them. However, having no DL just makes it more complicated. That what I do not understand.

By me, having to be butt searched at the airport does something good. Because I know that people that can do harm, will be searched just like me there. But, people that want to use their driving priveledge to do something bad, can still do it. That's my point.

I am actually trying to find that "law" somewhere on line...

Here is another example. The whole thing about muslim women and their drivers licenses. The were complaining that they wanted to have a pic taken with the head scarf, which means that they cannot be positively identified. To that I say that they should not be able to get DL. 1st, you must be "identifiable". Second off all, I don't see it being safe driving with a covered face. So, that law SHOULD have passed. Yet in FL, you can have your picture taken with your face covered. That is silly. No face, no DL. I am just saying that to show that I see both sides of the aspect of potential profiling.
Old 01-09-2006, 09:22 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 08 sti
i take it he isnt a us citizen?
Old 01-09-2006, 09:34 PM
Admin v2.0

He is. Has been since like the begining of 70s. US passport, voting, the whole 9 yards.
Old 01-09-2006, 09:52 PM
VIP Member

people that want to do harm, if they look like your average american will NOT be searched like you. I'm diabetic and have gone through airport security with syringes in my bag and havent been stopped...and I didnt even tell them "I'm diabetic so I have syringes in here" Profiling takes focus away from the fact that your ideas are not solely based on your religion or ethnic background. People make up their own thoughts, and anybody could have the idea to take down a plane...or drive a car (and do whatever with it that the government is afraid they will do)...even a white person!
Old 01-09-2006, 09:55 PM
Admin v2.0

True, and people that want to use a car for something bad, would care less about having the DL in hand.
Old 01-10-2006, 03:34 AM

Car Info: Looking for a Liberty CRD
Originally Posted by HellaDumb
"The government shall make no law regarding relgion, or the free practice thereof."

If true, this law is frankly unconstitutional. That's three or four amendments fooked by the bush administration.
Old 01-10-2006, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by Imprezer
True, and people that want to use a car for something bad, would care less about having the DL in hand.
This is true. But I think the real point of this "law," is to make a point more so than anything else. Showing that their taking more action here at home. Although it obviously has yet to be publicized.

I still think it's horrible that an immigrant turned US citizen (of 30+ years) has to have something like this happen to them. It's upsurd and offending.
Old 01-10-2006, 07:17 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: black pearl sti
It's also entirely possible that some stellar, over educated DMV employee just told him that because they love their job so much and felt they were doing the right thing. And this supposed "law"(which I highly doubt is real) doesn't make any sense because that isn't the structure of any terrorist organization Muslim, Catholic, Protestant or otherwise. No imam is going to be driving around and going on suicide missions or anything like that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Driving is a priveledge?