Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Does this worry anybody?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 04:13 PM
Dirty Redhead

Car Info: 05 WRX Wagon (Crystal Gray)
Does this worry anybody?

"These elections lack legitimacy because a large part of the people representing various important spectrums -- parties and movements of heavy political weight in Iraq -- have boycotted these elections," said Mohammed Bashar al-Feidhi, a spokesman for the Sunni group.

In a statement, the Association of Muslim Scholars warned the United Nations and international community not to give the next Iraqi government legitimacy "as this will open the door wide for evil which the international community and United Nations will bear its consequences."

A senior U.S. diplomat acknowledged the turnout was low in Iraq's four predominantly Sunni provinces -- Anbar, Nineveh, Salaheddin and Diyala.
Does anyone think that we might have just opened the door to another fight between middle eastern cultures?

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/meast/...ain/index.html
Old 02-02-2005, 04:51 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
This is old news and exactly why nobody is declaring any type of success beyond the turnout of the election in itself. I wouldn't call Sunnis and other minority groups a "large part of the people" but they certainly represent various important spectrums.

They had a large interest in Saddam because he sided with them and gave them what they wanted. This is one of the major reasons why they protested the elections on top of Bush not delaying the elections for another 6 months--they thought it would allow a larger portion of the Sunni population to vote. This is also why terrorists sided with the Sunnis in order to fight the Americans on common ground much earlier in the war.

I really don't know what to expect as this could potentially blossom into a civil war. The chances of this happening grew dim for the Sunni population because I’m sure they were hoping for lower voting statistics. Instead, the majority of Iraqi voters pretty much threw feces in all of their faces by exercising democracy. It's this type of bond and consensus among the Iraqi majority that leads me to believe the Sunnis might eventually realize what they lost by being stubborn brats.

If they don’t decide to conform then we’ll just severely crush their nuts via military power. By this point the participating voting Iraqi majority will realize the potential in their beloved democracy and help in the ball crushing. I hope it doesn’t come to this... I hope they’re smart enough to eventually get their hands dirty in politics and not blood.
Old 02-02-2005, 05:39 PM

I agree with Salty, and I'd like to point out how slimy this move is. You can't call for all your people to not vote, then after a vote comes off just fine without you, say "Oh, this isn't legitimate because the government doesn't represent us."

No Democracy represents non-voters, and they knew that. I say quit the whining and play ball, or load up the camel and move on.
Old 02-02-2005, 05:48 PM

Car Info: '05 Crystal Grey Metallic WRX Sport Wagon
Wink

Maybe the Sunnis have PDRT (Post Dictator Removal Trauma)?
Old 02-02-2005, 06:00 PM

Car Info: 72 Vespa with curb feelers
Originally Posted by ericdared81
Does anyone think that we might have just opened the door to another fight between middle eastern cultures?

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/meast/...ain/index.html
Nope, they are just acting like Democrats.
Old 02-02-2005, 06:12 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by MVWRX
Maybe the Sunnis have PDRT (Post Dictator Removal Trauma)?
It's true. They had so much to loose that they pouted in the corner while the rest of the country took a stand by voting.

Last edited by Salty; 02-02-2005 at 06:20 PM.
Old 02-02-2005, 06:19 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by subaruguru
You can't call for all your people to not vote, then after a vote comes off just fine without you, say "Oh, this isn't legitimate because the government doesn't represent us."

No Democracy represents non-voters, and they knew that.
This is a GREAT point.

You would have thought The Association of Muslim Scholars would have thought about that.