Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Democrats: Health care is a right

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 11:05 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
Don't dodge the question. How much does a bottle of insulin normally cost?
Old 07-16-2009, 11:08 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
Originally Posted by irrational x
trust me im well versed in the perils of the american insurance system... the question is... how is government intervention going to improve a system that's already a bloated bureaucracy.

that's like ****ing to regain your virginity...
So you think it'd be better to just turn a blind eye to the problems? "Oh well, doesn't affect me right now, so who cares."

I'm not saying the plan proposed in the HR's bill is the best, but I am saying that SOMETHING HAS TO BE DONE. The health care system cannot stay the way it is now.

Did you guys know that there are also lifetime spending caps on insurance policies? "Oh, you're sick and actually need to use what you're paying for. Yeah, thats not going to work for us, you're on your own now."

The insurance companies are ****ED UP. And something has to be done!

Paul, I never followed up, did your fat *** get Type II yet?
Old 07-16-2009, 11:09 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by ipozestu
Don't dodge the question. How much does a bottle of insulin normally cost?
Mine? $40 in Canada. "Up to 85% off from your local pharmacy."
Old 07-16-2009, 11:14 AM
plays well with others

Car Info: your mother crazy
Originally Posted by VRT MBasile
So you think it'd be better to just turn a blind eye to the problems? "Oh well, doesn't affect me right now, so who cares."

I'm not saying the plan proposed in the HR's bill is the best, but I am saying that SOMETHING HAS TO BE DONE. The health care system cannot stay the way it is now.

Did you guys know that there are also lifetime spending caps on insurance policies? "Oh, you're sick and actually need to use what you're paying for. Yeah, thats not going to work for us, you're on your own now."

The insurance companies are ****ED UP. And something has to be done!

i agree... but creating a state run alternative is NOT a solution. look at all the other major governmental orgs that have failed us... SEC, FTC, No Child Left Behind, TARP...

...and you want to make them responsible for your care?

....do you smoke pot for your diabetes or something?

Last edited by Irrational X; 07-16-2009 at 11:16 AM.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:18 AM
VIP Member

Paul isn't the only one to consider ordering insulin via Canada.

I have posted here before and have told why I am paying full price for Humalog....I think 91.75 at Sam's Wholesale Club.

On line there is a Canadian Pharmacy selling it for 43.99 plus 12.00 shipping per order (could even be more than one vial). A prescription is not needed for Humalog in Canada.

I use two vials a month and am thinking of ordering two. Since it could be 10-12 days before it got here packed in a cold pack (which probably is not cold after three days) I am a little concerned about it not being refrigerated during the shipping time. The lady on the phone there says it all would have to be used within 30 days. I am not always sure I would use quite the two vials according to what I eat.

You can tell I am a bit nervous about this or I would not be posting here. What do you think?

Any one in the states using a Canadian pharmacy to save?

Thanks,
Nita
I would be a bit suspicious about why it would take 10-12 days to travel from anyplace in Canada to anyplace in the US, to me that sounds more like one of those foreign places with a Canadian "order center", and while it might be legit I think we've all seen the reports of watered down or relabeled expired drugs coming from these places. I would think a reputable Canadian pharmacy would insist on FedEx or UPS for a perishable item like that traveling from Canada to Texas.
And of course, the price range in US pharmacies.
A while ago, during the inevitable insurance screw up, I checked prices at 6 pharmacies for a single vial of Humalog. The highest price for the vial was $114.50 at a well-known national drug store chain. The lowest price was $86.50 at a pharmacy in a small regional food store chain.

Prices for Humalog are dramatically lower in Europe. I think in the 30 Euro range for a vial. Been a while, and my memory isn't what it never was.

Doug
Old 07-16-2009, 11:20 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
HAHAHAAAA!!

1June09, I weighed in @ 250lbs.

I'm now a svelt 237lbs and dropping...go back for another blood test in September.

My last A1c(?) test number was 5.4...with >6.0 being diabetic.

No/minimal sugar, no/minimal carbs, lots off fruit, fiber, & fatty McFatty drinks. No fast food, with the exception of a Subway sandwich 2X/wk.

Have switched to light beer and drink much less per night than I used to.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:21 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Matt:

How much, exactly, do you pay for a vial of insulin?
Old 07-16-2009, 11:28 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
HAHAHAAAA!!

1June09, I weighed in @ 250lbs.

I'm now a svelt 237lbs and dropping...go back for another blood test in September.

My last A1c(?) test number was 5.4...with >6.0 being diabetic.

No/minimal sugar, no/minimal carbs, lots off fruit, fiber, & fatty McFatty drinks. No fast food, with the exception of a Subway sandwich 2X/wk.

Have switched to light beer and drink much less per night than I used to.
Good to hear, I'm glad thats one less person that has to deal with everything.

Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
Matt:

How much, exactly, do you pay for a vial of insulin?
I yelled and screamed at the insurance to cover the entire supply of insulin. They agreed to cover that and then went on to try to not cover the antiseptic wipes for the insulin pump. Yay infections! Infections cause your blood sugar to skyrocket uncontrollably. And then, because your blood sugar is high, that gives the bacteria more to feed on, making it harder to get rid of. Wonderful how the insurance just looks at initial cost (not even bottom line). ****, they aren't even good businessmen Since the antiseptic wipes I haven't had an issue, but it's coming time to replace the insulin pump, we'll see how that goes.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:32 AM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
Originally Posted by Superglue WRX
It's my birthday and I'm not going to argue today.
happy b day
Old 07-16-2009, 11:41 AM

Car Info: Nadda
What's going to happen when the feds miscalculate their budgeting for health care?
All government "calculations" are never accurate at all, just look at many of the past "calculations of costs" to perform what they want to perform. Some of these bills are 20X over the estimated costs, some over 10X. That's like saying we need 10billion and it ends up being 100-150 BILLION?!

THE FED IS NEVER ACCURATE. They DOWNPLAY the costs ALL the time to make it look good, but in the end it ends up being WAYYYY and I mean WAYYY over the cost of what they esimate. I don't know why ANYONE would even use their explanation of how they came up with their #'s, they've never been accurate at all.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:50 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
This plan sucks. Don't be fooled there will be no option for private insured medicine. The feds will accomplish this economically. Figures estimate ~%80 of Americans will be under a federal heathcare plan. By sheer numbers doctors will be obligated to register and participate under the federal healthcare system. Now the fed will have access to your medical records. It stands within reason one could be denied Medicaid benefits because of past medical history.

Healthcare is not a right. You have a right to pursue a job with benefits that will provide heathcare to you and your family.
Weird that it doesn't work that way in Sweden for example. As far as I know you are allowed to obtain your own medical insurance coverage if you prefer a specific doctor. So, rich people and poor people can get coverage.

Why is healthcare not a right? This is an honest question. Why should health be determined by wealth? I wonder if you would feel differently about this if you had no support system (family for example) and ran into a string of unfortunate circumstances that left you without a job or options.

Would being denied benefits based on medical history be a new thing? Because I know of people paying for their own benefits (ie, self employed, own the policy) who have been denied coverage based on history.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:55 AM

Car Info: The Latest From WayneTech.
I have no problem whatsoever with a low buy in, low cost, all accepting government controlled healthcare program.

HOWEVER

I wouldn't use it and I refuse to have my taxes RAISED for it.

You can keep taking the amount you are taking; but FFS - it's time to start cutting the budget SOMEWHERE. How about we start with cutting congressional employees budgets and pensions?

Or former presidents pensions?
Old 07-16-2009, 11:55 AM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
england is screwed with thier health care

no one wants to be a Dr you dont make USA dr kind of moeny and you have to put up with that kind of crap
Old 07-16-2009, 12:01 PM

Car Info: The Latest From WayneTech.
What is scary is that in England - if you are over 65 and need an operation; there is a very high likelihood they will simply tell you 'No, you are too old and the cost is not worth it, sorry.' and let you die.

Sorry, I'm not down with that.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:02 PM

Insurance (be it health, home, auto, or otherwise) is just a form of gambling. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose - on some levels, it's no different than playing a hand of blackjack. All insurance companies are businesses - they're willing to bet that in the aggregate, people will pay more in premiums than they have to pay out in coverage. You, on the other hand, are betting the opposite is true. Think about it - everyone can't possibly expect to pay $100/mo in premiums and expect to get $1k/mo in coverage, month after month, year after year. How are the companies supposed to stay in business? Let's say you've had coverage with a company for 20yrs, and over the course of that 20yrs, you've paid approximately $25k in premiums. Is it fair to turn around and demand that they pay for a $250k surgery? I mean, wouldn't you be getting a windfall in the neighborhood of $225k? Honestly, if the coverage you're getting every month is more than you're paying in premiums, you're "winning." If you feel like you're getting screwed, you can always opt not to have insurance and just pay for everything out of pocket.

As an aside, no, I don't work for the insurance companies, and any work I have done relating to health insurance has been on the side of the patients, advocating for greater coverage. At the moment, I do not have/cannot afford health insurance, and when I did have it (through a previous employer) I never used it, so my premium payments were, I guess, "wasted."
________
HASH

Last edited by kyoung05; 03-30-2011 at 09:55 AM.

Quick Reply: Democrats: Health care is a right