Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Army of One Going Bye Bye

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2005, 10:53 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Thumbs up Army of One Going Bye Bye

About damn time! They started this crap in my last year in and I can't remember anyone ever liking the idea. Let's advertise independence as bait and then stress unity to our recruits until their ears bleed. Brilliant!

Even the gay Army of One single stared logo looked like it spawned from G.I. Joe. Not nearly as aggressive as what the Army truly is and should be. That’s one thing the Marines have had on lock since day one. Their Eagle, Globe and Anchor has always carried their advertising campaign effectively and with just the right amount of gusto.

http://www.armytimes.com/story.php?f...25-1403942.php

Last edited by Salty; 12-09-2005 at 10:57 AM.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:10 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02WRXpseudoSTiWannabeWagon
Pretty cool, huh?
Old 12-09-2005, 12:38 PM

Car Info: 05 STi
I agree, every time I got smoked in basic after the DI screamed "where's your battle buddy private?!?!?!" I wanted to say "**** that, I'm an Army of One." It's about time, I hate that motto.

I really wish the Army would make me a 4 star already so I can get some **** together and put it how it should be. I've got plans that'd make General Schoomaker **** in his pants.
Old 12-09-2005, 01:03 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 WRX
Originally Posted by Salty
Their Eagle, Globe and Anchor has always carried their advertising campaign effectively and with just the right amount of gusto.
military n00b question. ^^Means air, land, and sea, right? cause the Marines are the only armed force which operates in all three correct?
Old 12-09-2005, 01:13 PM

Car Info: Looking for a Liberty CRD
Good

That campaign was a load of pablum
Old 12-09-2005, 01:39 PM

Car Info: 05 STi
Originally Posted by case1
military n00b question. ^^Means air, land, and sea, right? cause the Marines are the only armed force which operates in all three correct?

Not really, the Army has helos, airborne and some fixed wing aircraft. They've got some of the best amphibious warfare fighters in the world (scuba certified Special Forces) and as far as the land department, they pretty much run that.
Old 12-09-2005, 01:51 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 WRX
Originally Posted by 1reguL8NSTi
Not really, the Army has helos, airborne and some fixed wing aircraft. They've got some of the best amphibious warfare fighters in the world (scuba certified Special Forces) and as far as the land department, they pretty much run that.
huh? I thought the Marines were the only ones who operated in all three, guess I was wrong.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:38 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX Sedan & 2008 GMC Sierra 4x4
Being a civie that "Army of One" stuff never really clicked with me. I couldn't understand how that could be the slogan of a organization that depended so heavily on teamwork. Never made sense really.

Originally Posted by Case1
huh? I thought the Marines were the only ones who operated in all three, guess I was wrong.
I guess in today's world and on today's battlefield you had better be able to operate in every environment possible to be completely successful, right guys?
Old 12-09-2005, 02:54 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Salty
That’s one thing the Marines have had on lock since day one. Their Eagle, Globe and Anchor has always carried their advertising campaign effectively and with just the right amount of gusto.
Trust me. If the USMC didn't advertise, they'd still be just fine.

The Marine Corps sells itself. Kids who enlist (or commission) in the Corps have already sold themselves. In my opinion, the only real need for Marine Recruiters is to just do the paperwork and run background checks.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:57 PM
VIP Member

....but don't get me wrong. The Army sells itself, too. It's just not as pronounced because we're so large that we truly have to SELL many kids on enlisting.

We have quite a few 'walk-ins' who've already convinced themselves to join never having spoken to a recruiter nor played the video game.
Old 12-09-2005, 03:05 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX Sedan & 2008 GMC Sierra 4x4
Originally Posted by gpatmac
We have quite a few 'walk-ins' who've already convinced themselves to join never having spoken to a recruiter nor played the video game.
Question for you Pat...

Do you guys really get alot of kids that come in and had played the video game and that is why they are there? Does the game really do that much for the marketing of the army?

Just wondering cause I have played the game....It's a damn good game for free!
Old 12-09-2005, 03:23 PM

In other news, the Marines change their slogan as well:

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/33152
Old 12-09-2005, 04:04 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by SilverScoober02
Question for you Pat...

Do you guys really get alot of kids that come in and had played the video game and that is why they are there? Does the game really do that much for the marketing of the army?

Just wondering cause I have played the game....It's a damn good game for free!
From my vantage point it's a little hard to say. When we get leads that filter down (I'm assuming that the game is one source) they are just coded as 'internet leads'. When the recruiter talks to them, the kid may bring it up, but I'm kinda doubtful.

I could ask.

Further, my company is going to put together a LAN party in the next few months. Now that is something that would be much more tangible for us.

Essentially the advertising that the Army does (not local recruiting, but the TV ads, the Army game, and multi-million dollar team sponsorship) is supposed to generate something for the Army as a whole. From my perspective, sponsoring a rodeo team may be great for the west and s. west, but it does nothing for me. The game may be the catalylist that pushes someone to actually ask somebody questions, so it's good from that standpoint, but is nearly impossible to gauge the results (validate itself.)

I don't know of one single contract we've written where the applicant stated that it was because of the game.

FWIW, I hope our NASCAR sponsorship goes the way of Mr. Leo Burnett.