Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Allawi Says Democratic Forces Succeeding in Iraq; Kerry: Allawi's Take on Iraq Unreal

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2004, 01:37 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Allawi Says Democratic Forces Succeeding in Iraq; Kerry: Allawi's Take on Iraq Unreal

I know Allawi has a vested interest in staying on Bush's good side and in power but I think it was a bad move on Kerry's part to call Allawi a liar.

If Kerry wins the election I'm sure the Prime Minister of Iraq won't hold it against Kerry for calling him a liar. *sarcasm* This really doesn't put Kerry's best foot forward on foreign policy...

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...sa_congress_dc

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Iraqi Prime Minister Iyad Allawi told Congress on Thursday Iraq (news - web sites) would hold elections in January despite the flaring insurgency, and urged the U.S.-led coalition not to bow to terrorist forces.

Allawi was in Washington as Iraq faced mounting violence before elections scheduled for late January, and after a series of kidnappings and beheadings of hostages.

The interim prime minister told a joint meeting of the Senate and the House of Representatives that "we are succeeding in Iraq," and said "elections will occur "on time in January because Iraqis want elections on time."
&

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...el_pr/kerry_22

COLUMBUS, Ohio - Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry (news - web sites) said Thursday that Iraq (news - web sites)'s Ayad Allawi was sent before Congress to put the "best face" on Bush administration policy.

Shortly after Allawi, the interim government's prime minister, gave a rosy portrayal of progress toward peace in Iraq, Kerry said the assessment contradicted reality on the ground.

"The prime minister and the president are here obviously to put their best face on the policy, but the fact is that the CIA (news - web sites) estimates, the reporting, the ground operations and the troops all tell a different story," Kerry said.
So who's telling the truth?

Even if Kerry's hit the nail on the head it doesn't change the fact Iyad Allawi has maintained elections as scheduled despite recent insurgency.
Old 09-23-2004, 01:48 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX Sedan & 2008 GMC Sierra 4x4
I really don't think Kerry gives a rats *** what Allawi thinks because if they do hold elections in Iraq I can almost guarantee you Allawi won't get elected. He was forced on the people of Iraq by a occupying force. They don't see him as their leader at all. Just my .02
Old 09-23-2004, 01:51 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: CRZ EX-Navi/6MT & Vue Redline
But Allawi is a liar, well if not a liar, someone who changes what he says (which you seem all to quick to bash Kerry for) because Bush is no doubt pressuring him to do so. In one instance, he says that the "insurgents are flooding into Iraq" and then he goes on to say that we are winning. As far as going on with the elections, I don't see how this will be a total success considering that we totally don't control some areas, such as Falluja. How the hell are we going to ensure proper elections when we can't even stop the car bombings and kidnappings in that area. Don't get me wrong, I think he is commendable in that respect for pushing on, but to pretend that things are going as planned is a lie.

-Chris

http://abcnews.go.com/wire/Politics/...0923_1245.html
Old 09-23-2004, 02:11 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Originally Posted by bassplayrr
But Allawi is a liar, well if not a liar, someone who changes what he says (which you seem all to quick to bash Kerry for) because Bush is no doubt pressuring him to do so. In one instance, he says that the "insurgents are flooding into Iraq" and then he goes on to say that we are winning.
Sorry, Chris... I couldn't help it... you know i'm just giving you a hard time

Originally Posted by bassplayrr
Christ, the flip-flop arguement? Weak. Assuming changing your mind is bad thing, which is insane to think, Bush does it too.

http://www.allhatnocattle.net/waffle_house.htm

As far as going on with the elections, I don't see how this will be a total success considering that we totally don't control some areas, such as Falluja. How the hell are we going to ensure proper elections when we can't even stop the car bombings and kidnappings in that area. Don't get me wrong, I think he is commendable in that respect for pushing on, but to pretend that things are going as planned is a lie.

-Chris

http://abcnews.go.com/wire/Politics/...0923_1245.html
Good point.

Maybe they'll have a lowest ranking private run into fallujah to collect the ballots?
Old 09-23-2004, 02:19 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: CRZ EX-Navi/6MT & Vue Redline
Originally Posted by Salty
Sorry, Chris... I couldn't help it... you know i'm just giving you a hard time

Good point.

Maybe they'll have a lowest ranking private run into fallujah to collect the ballots?

Hahaha, you got me! The slight difference that I see though is that he "flip-flopped" on not a policy, but what is actually happening. He didn't have one idea on how to hold elections, and then change that view. Instead he went from saying that they are struggling to winning in just a few days. A minor difference I realize, but an impoortant and confusing one.

-Chris

Last edited by bassplayrr; 09-23-2004 at 09:25 PM.
Old 09-23-2004, 02:32 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX wagon=dead; rollin' in a Craptastic Camry!
Allawi is another Hussein in the making.

From various news sites:
Allawi went into exile after turning against Saddam and in 1990 formed the Iraqi National Accord, a party backed by the CIA and British intelligence and including many former Baathists who fled the Baghdad regime. The Iraqi National Accord, used car bombs and other explosive devices smuggled into Baghdad from northern Iraq, the officials said. Evaluations of the effectiveness of the bombing campaign varied, although the former officials interviewed agreed that it never threatened Saddam Hussein's rule.
The Iraqi government at the time claimed that the bombs, including one it said exploded in a movie theater, resulted in many civilian casualties. But whether the bombings actually killed any civilians could not be confirmed because, as a former C.I.A. official said, the United States had no significant intelligence sources in Iraq then. One former Central Intelligence Agency officer who was based in the region, Robert Baer, recalled that a bombing during that period "blew up a school bus; schoolchildren were killed."

"we blew up a car, and we were supposed to get $2,000" but got only $1,000, according to an account in the British newspaper The Independent in 1997. The newspaper had obtained a copy of the tape.

Hmm...interesting man we appointed to lead the new democratic Iraq...
Old 09-23-2004, 06:00 PM

If he wins, I honestly wonder how long the guy would live.