Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Airport screeners missed weapons and explosives

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2004, 09:50 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Red face Airport screeners missed weapons and explosives

How is this possible?! Name:  11.gif
Views: 9
Size:  170 Bytes

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...smissedweapons

By Mimi Hall, USA TODAY

Undercover investigators were able to sneak explosives and weapons past security screeners at 15 airports nationwide, according to a government report on aviation security.

Rep. John Mica (news, bio, voting record), R-Fla., chairman of a House aviation subcommittee, confirmed that the longer, classified report showed weapons and explosives got by screeners. He said the results on weapons were "bad enough," but the results on explosives were "absolutely horrendous."
Old 09-23-2004, 10:18 AM

Car Info: '05 Crystal Grey Metallic WRX Sport Wagon
I don't even know how to respond to this...scary stuff. Hopefully the administration (whichever one wins) gets on top of that and doesn't just use it as a hot-point-issue to win some voters. This is one of those issues that I'm pretty sure every citizen agrees on; we need to make sure people don't bring f***ing bombs on f***ing planes.
Old 09-23-2004, 10:59 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: CRZ EX-Navi/6MT & Vue Redline
Originally Posted by Salty
It happens because the people who do the screening are retarded and treat their job as though it is any low-mid level security job. The problem is that this isn't like guarding the parking lot of your local 7/11. These people need to have some type of military training or something that makes them not only take their job seriously, but take pride in it. Last time I flew I was wearing my SWRT hat and the guy doing the in deapth security check with me (you know, the one where you stand on the little feet marks and they pat you down) was like "oh dude, I hella want a WRX... soon as I'm done with night school I'm gonna try and guy one@" What?! He was a nice kid and all, but I want the people that have such an important job to be MUCH more professional. If I were to walk up to a guard at an embassy he wouldn't call me dude!

-Chris
Old 09-23-2004, 11:13 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by bassplayrr
It happens because the people who do the screening are retarded and treat their job as though it is any low-mid level security job. The problem is that this isn't like guarding the parking lot of your local 7/11. These people need to have some type of military training or something that makes them not only take their job seriously, but take pride in it. Last time I flew I was wearing my SWRT hat and the guy doing the in deapth security check with me (you know, the one where you stand on the little feet marks and they pat you down) was like "oh dude, I hella want a WRX... soon as I'm done with night school I'm gonna try and guy one@" What?! He was a nice kid and all, but I want the people that have such an important job to be MUCH more professional. If I were to walk up to a guard at an embassy he wouldn't call me dude!

-Chris
I agree, you can NEVER become complacent in a security job! EVER!
Old 09-23-2004, 12:33 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
This happened to me last year.
I was in Nebraska for training last year & had bought some bullets at Cabellas.
Now, these were just the bullet; no case, powder, or primer.
As I placed my carry on into the x-ray thingy, I watched the inspector's face.

He asked if he could open my bag, I said yes, and he then asked "What are these?", holding up a green box of .223Rem bulltets.

"Bullets," I answered.

He 'bout crapped himself at that point. The police were called over & the officer asked me "where's the gun?"

I replied, "California."

After ten minutes & a check on my SSN, the cops said everything was cool, & let me proceed with the bullets packed in my bag.
Old 09-23-2004, 12:39 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Oaf
This happened to me last year.
I was in Nebraska for training last year & had bought some bullets at Cabellas.
Now, these were just the bullet; no case, powder, or primer.
As I placed my carry on into the x-ray thingy, I watched the inspector's face.

He asked if he could open my bag, I said yes, and he then asked "What are these?", holding up a green box of .223Rem bulltets.

"Bullets," I answered.

He 'bout crapped himself at that point. The police were called over & the officer asked me "where's the gun?"

I replied, "California."

After ten minutes & a check on my SSN, the cops said everything was cool, & let me proceed with the bullets packed in my bag.

Lmfao. Name:  lol.gif
Views: 11
Size:  641 Bytes

You should have told them your plans were to hand-throw the bullets at the speed of sound inside the airplane cabin.
Old 09-23-2004, 01:24 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX Sedan & 2008 GMC Sierra 4x4
This doesn't suprise me in the least. Did you know that one of the hijackers didn't even have a picture ID with him and he talked his way on the plane. Plus the metal detector alarm in that picture of Atta and his biotch was going off and no one stopped them, but I am sure some 87 year old white woman was searched right down to her velcro shoes to make sure she wasn't a terrorist. Total BS. It looks like nothing has changed really in terms of airplane security. At least you can now hope that there is a armed air marshal on your plane ready to dispatch of any bad guys with razor blades.!
Old 09-23-2004, 01:38 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: CRZ EX-Navi/6MT & Vue Redline
Originally Posted by SilverScoober02
At least you can now hope that there is a armed air marshal on your plane ready to dispatch of any bad guys with razor blades.!
werd... at least I hope so.

-Chris
Old 09-23-2004, 06:13 PM

Actually before I graduated from college I would work during the summers at the airport. I did several jobs actually. Once 9/11 happened a lot of things changed. I will say this, if you had a mind of actually blowing something up it wouldn't be to hard. Its scary but true. Had I tried I could of put a bomb on a plane. One of the jobs I did was a fueler. (Yea I was one of those guys standing underneath the wings with 60,000 gals of fuel truck. ) And I got to go all over the airport hardly anything was out of bonds for me. Granted, though they do extensive background checks to give such clearence. But I can think of half a dozen ways of breaking in and putting something in a plane.

Something cool, when Clinton came to Austin once. They shut down the airport for him to leave. Man the type of secuirty our president has is like woo. Helicopters tons of cars, motorcycles etc. Really cool seeing it all in action.